MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: what TV channel do you think would be most realistic in 2010-2013?
Showtime - subscription TV channel (owned by CBS Corporation) 15 28.85%
Spike [formerly Spike TV] cable/satellite TV channel (a division of MTV Networks, owned by Viacom) 0 0%
SyFy - cable TV channel- (part of the entertainment conglomerate NBC Universal) 16 30.77%
CBS broadcast network (owned by CBS Corporation) 14 26.92%
The CW broadcast network (owned by CBS Corporation) 7 13.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 11 2010, 10:24 AM   #196
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor
Re: What channel should a new Trek TV series be on?

Syndication is a dying breed. It's not quite dead, but it doesn't do much compared to what it used to.
Old October 11 2010, 11:29 AM   #197
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

event level

exalted one wrote: View Post
It's a new Trek, make it effin' EVENT!
check out this idea exalted one:
next Trek series pilot in cinemas
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2010, 12:23 AM   #198
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

AviTrek wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Why does the Starfleet Academy idea get such a bad wrap from fans? I think that it could be done in a mature, entertaining way, focusing on relationships and the dynamic of a small group of cadets attempting to graduate and become officers in a variety of disciplines. It doesn't have to be EMO or 90210 crap at all. I think you just need a brave enough showrunner who's willing to tell traditional mature stories while in the context of a teen series. "Veronica Mars" is an example of this.
I think the problem is fans hear young Kirk/Spock or even just Starfleet Academy + CW and think young Clark Kent on Smallville.

Also, a realistic portrayal of college kids is boring if you exclude emo angst. They go to classes, they do homework, and they worry about their bf/gf. You can't have a bunch of students save Earth/the Federation every week, and there are only so many episodes you can tell about the kobiyashi maru or another academy test.
Bullshit. Not all teens are angst-driven emo people; some are wiser than their years (like Wesley Crusher) and know their shit backwards and forwards. The trick to doing this is to tell stories about young Starfleet cadets that deal with whatever emotional problems they have in addition to being what they are as Starfleet cadets. The Starfleet Academy comic book by Marvel did this quite well; maybe a show can use it a s a guide.

Cadets on away missions to space could be the basis for a great show. Starfleet would keep freshmen and sophomores on planet, and then let the juniors and seniors get their feet wet in the Milky Way - right? So focus on the last two years of the Academy and the first few years in Starfleet. But the suspicion will always be that any show about people in their late teens/early 20s will be mindless junk.
I love your idea and I think that it will work.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2010, 01:47 AM   #199
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

I'm not trying to start anything, but I do find it funny that you pointed to Wesley Crusher as an example of anything. Personally, I'm not a 'Wesley hater', but it still elicited a chuckle.

Of course I recognize that your point stands, but still. See the humor in this.
Old October 14 2010, 03:36 PM   #200
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
Syndication is a dying breed. It's not quite dead, but it doesn't do much compared to what it used to.
Truthfully, though, syndication is doing exactly what it used to do--offer reruns of network shows to local stations. In that capacity, syndication is actually bigger now than it was 20 years ago because they're also selling shows to various cable networks in addition to local stations. It was first-run syndicated dramas (usually action or sci-fi/fantasy shows) were always more rare than common in syndication, IMO, and we've simply gone back to the way things were prior to TNG's debut with mostly reruns of dramatic shows.

If anything, the glut of so many network dramas and reality shows in syndication these days makes selling a first-run drama there very difficult. Although...it might be easier to sell a new Star Trek show there than some unknown show local programmers have never heard of before...
Old October 14 2010, 05:16 PM   #201
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Yeah, the thing about Star Trek is it may have its downfalls with the ratings game, but it also has a lot of success, too. And dammit, everyone has heard of it.
Old October 14 2010, 08:18 PM   #202
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
I'm not trying to start anything, but I do find it funny that you pointed to Wesley Crusher as an example of anything. Personally, I'm not a 'Wesley hater', but it still elicited a chuckle.

Of course I recognize that your point stands, but still. See the humor in this.
'Scuse me? You find it funny, how?

There are lots of smart young men and women like Wesley Crusher in the world-they go to school, get good grades, graduate, go to college/university, and become successes in life. People like you think that they are just plain worthless because (in Wesley's case) they saved the ship too much (which I think is untrue, and just an example of how people hate the character and nothing else) or are too smart, but I think that they are rare on TV and not seen enough (Will Robinson and Doogie Houser are other examples, as is Tannis Valley's character Janice Lazarotto on Head Of The Class and all of the other students on that show.)

TV is more filled with stupid moronic teen characters like Zack Martin, James "J.J." Evans, Jr., Mike Seaver, London Tipton, Steve Urkel, Maynard G. Krebs, and a ton of others we've all seen on TV over the last half-century, than smart ones like Wesley and Dougie (I don't count Steve Urkel as smart-his 'genius' is just an excuse to make a young black male look like a goof on TV, only in this case he has smarts.) Wesley was the first young man to be smart and useful, and not just a girl-crazy gonadal boy like most on TV (he does his homework, impresses his mom and the other adults around him, and his 'saving the ship' I interpret as helping out beyond what he would usually do on the ship as a civilian without being asked, unlike most teenagers who do little but play video games, watch TV, have sex, drive around in cars, take drugs, etc.) This doesn't mean that such gifted teens don't have problems; they do, but they seem to be able to handle it better than most people their own age (although the possibility of having problems due to the pressures of being that gifted can emerge.)

That is what I want to see in a potential Starfleet Academy show, and I think that it can be done.

Old October 15 2010, 10:10 AM   #203
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

I find it funny because a bulk of the fandom has a long-running hatred of the Crusher character. Like I said, I agree with you, but it still humored me. You obviously really want to use Wesley as a rare example of how to do things right, and while I do have somewhat of an issue with how often he 'saved the ship', I'm mostly alright with him. I just thought it was amusing that you chose that one character with the biggest history of 'fandom beef' as an example of how to do things right, regardless of any truth of the matter. Hence the jovial tone of my post.

Hopefully you can see where I'm coming from and not think of me as some whiny frakhead bitching from the anonymity of the internet.

Also, you say 'people like you' after I said I don't dislike the character.
Old October 15 2010, 12:11 PM   #204
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Sorry about that, I apologize.
Old October 15 2010, 05:33 PM   #205
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

No problem!
Old October 15 2010, 07:50 PM   #206
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
AviTrek wrote: View Post
Cadets on away missions to space could be the basis for a great show. Starfleet would keep freshmen and sophomores on planet, and then let the juniors and seniors get their feet wet in the Milky Way - right? So focus on the last two years of the Academy and the first few years in Starfleet. But the suspicion will always be that any show about people in their late teens/early 20s will be mindless junk.
I love your idea and I think that it will work.
The way the US Naval Academy did it for a while was you went to the academy for one year, then you receive academic and practical instruction aboard ships with the fleet for three years as a midshipman, followed by one more year at the academy.

A Star Trek series that follow a group of midshipman AWAY from the academy during their second, third and fourth years aboard a starship would be far more interesting than a campus show.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2010, 08:51 PM   #207
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Horror Club wrote: View Post
A Star Trek series that follow a group of midshipman <b><i>AWAY</i></b> from the academy during their second, third and fourth years aboard a starship would be far more interesting than a campus show.
Horror Club since its off topic let's continue this premise here:
Star Trek; Starfleet Academy
Old October 20 2010, 06:37 PM   #208
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

TV Land

Is the Viacom-owned cable tv network
TV Land an option for cable other than Spike for a CBS-owned cable channel?

It is owned by MTV Networks, a division of Viacom
The network is planning its first foray into original scripted programming, beginning with two new sitcoms.
The network no longer labels itself as a "Classic TV" network.
In October 2008, the network began devoting its late primetime schedule to a new programming block airing from 9 pm-midnight Monday-Friday, called TV Land Prime, which featured the network's original programming efforts, movies, and newer archive programming
The two new sitcoms they did were
Hot in Cleveland, starring Valerie Bertinelli, Jane Leeves, Wendie Malick and Betty White, premiered in June 2010 to 4.75 million viewers, a TV Land record.[5] Meanwhile, Retired at 35 starring George Segal, Johnathan McClain, Jessica Walter, Josh McDermitt, Ryan Michelle Bathe, Casey Wilson and Christine Ebersole,[6] will premiere in January 2011.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Land

I see two issues with TV Land.
1. it is not an HD channel (at the moment) which may change in 2-3 years.
2. it would probably not garner as much marketing budget for a new Trek series as a higher profile cable channel
3. If a Betty White sitcom could get 4.75 million viewers could Trek get that much for a pilot and be 'enough'?
Old October 22 2010, 11:15 PM   #209
The Comedian
Captain

Has anyone mentioned HBO yet?

If not, why not?
Old October 22 2010, 11:18 PM   #210
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Showtime is owned by CBS Corporation, hence that would never happen.