Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 19 2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
BBC Developing British "Heimat"

From Broadcast now

BBC1 is developing a British equivalent of the German television landmark, Heimat, penned by Criminal Justice writer Peter Moffat.

Company Pictures is working up an initial 8 x 60-minute treatment of The Village, which will follow the same principle as the original Heimat epic, but relocate the drama to an anonymous village in Derbyshire.

Moffat, who had not seen Heimat when he approached Company with the idea, told Broadcast: “It is a social history of England told through the point of view of a single village. I want to make as many episodes as possible and tell the story as slowly as possible. It’s Catherine Cooksonian in tone, with big stories. I want primary school teachers to say to pupils: ‘Did you see that? Isn’t that interesting?’ I am constantly surprised by how many settled wisdoms [about social history] are mistaken. This will help set them straight.”

In a bold departure from the current squeeze on scale and budgets, it would run from 1913 to around 1926 in the first eight episodes and it is hoped it would return until it has reached the present day. If it is greenlit, Company may build a fictional village to house the shoot, based on a number of real Derbyshire villages.

George Faber, who is lined up to executive produce for Company, said: “It feels radical and expensive but because of the unique viewpoint, you can actually contain costs, especially if you were able to run for several series.” Polly Hill will exec for the BBC.
I can't say I've ever seen, or heard of the German Heimat but it does sound like an interesting idea for a series.
Old October 19 2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: BBC Developing British "Heimat"

I saw Heimat years ago. It was very good. And as I saw it as a teenager, I do remember, it having lots of sex which was a plus. A big one.

The word Heimat means Homeland, IIRC, so the title Village may not be quite as evocative, but it's presumably a format which will travel well, regardless of location, so long as the writing is good. I haven't seen either of the Criminal Justice series, but they got rave reviews, so I imagine that Mr Moffat will certainly provide that.
Old October 19 2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

I would have thought that "Hearth and Home" or "Heartland" would have been a better translation.
Old October 19 2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ I'm not going to argue - that was just my recollection of what it meant. Either way, those terms are more evocative or emotional than The Village.
Old October 19 2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ I'm not going to argue - that was just my recollection of what it meant. Either way, those terms are more evocative or emotional than The Village.
Well if they're going for the point of view of The Village rather than of 1 family then I suppose it makes sense.
Old October 20 2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Sorry, I didn't mean your translation. "Heimat" doesn't really have a simple English word or phrase as its equivalent. According to Germans with whom I've discussed this, it's like an intense feeling of attachment to community or region, and the rejection of outside influences. As you say, "The Village" doesn't convey those emotions. All it does is remind me of the rubbish film of the same name. It's a wonder the BBC didn't call it "Hamlet".
Old October 20 2009, 09:42 AM   #7
Starkers
Admiral

Sounds interesting, when I sae the name Moffat though I wondered just how much spare time Steven had, then I realised it was Peter

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2009, 09:45 AM   #8
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Great Mambo Chicken wrote: View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean your translation. "Heimat" doesn't really have a simple English word or phrase as its equivalent. According to Germans with whom I've discussed this, it's like an intense feeling of attachment to community or region, and the rejection of outside influences. As you say, "The Village" doesn't convey those emotions. All it does is remind me of the rubbish film of the same name. It's a wonder the BBC didn't call it "Hamlet".
I think that would then be confused with Shakespeare.
Old October 20 2009, 11:18 AM   #9
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Bob the Skull wrote: View Post
It's a wonder the BBC didn't call it "Hamlet".
Maybe I needed to add a .
Old October 20 2009, 11:28 AM   #10
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Bob the Skull wrote: View Post
It's a wonder the BBC didn't call it "Hamlet".
Maybe I needed to add a .
Why? That would seem to indicate you think The Village is a stupid and/or misleading name. Which it isn't from the description the show will revolve around the events in the village set against the historical backdrop.
Old October 20 2009, 03:36 PM   #11
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

No worries, my German only extends as far as ordering a beer, a coffee or an appel strudel; I just had a vague recollection of hearing that translation for the title some time ago. I think we're essentially in agreement about the attachment/ emotive nature of the word, which doesn't really translate to English in any simple single word - certainly not 'Village.'

But at the end of the day, if the programme is good, that's the important thing.
Old October 20 2009, 03:57 PM   #12
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

No worries, my German only extends as far as ordering a beer, a coffee or an appel strudel; I just had a vague recollection of hearing that translation for the title some time ago. I think we're essentially in agreement about the attachment/ emotive nature of the word, which doesn't really translate to English in any simple single word - certainly not 'Village.'

But at the end of the day, if the programme is good, that's the important thing.
Probably Heartland would be a better word to evoke the same sort of meaning, but it seems it's supposed to be an equivalent and not necessarily an adaptation of the same show.
Old October 20 2009, 05:03 PM   #13
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ They might be afraid that Heartland would be confused with Heartbeat, heaven forbid!
Old October 20 2009, 05:06 PM   #14
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

^ They might be afraid that Heartland would be confused with Heartbeat, heaven forbid!
I'm surprised there hasn't been a Heartbeat spin off called Heartland already...
Old October 20 2009, 08:12 PM   #15
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

'Home' would have been an equivalent title. But since it's set in a village I don't think 'The Village' is a bad title.

My first thought was, "Doctor Who and a new series? Steven Moffat sure is busy these days."