Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 28 2010, 04:23 PM   #1
SISKOTODAX
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sisko in the early years

Avery Brooks played Sisko as a reserved guy who was not that emotional in the first few seasons. Starting around season 4 he became more emotional and aggressive. He had a pep in his step and seemed more confident. This change made sense to me mainly because he had started to bond with his staff, had gained the loyalty and respect of Kira and Odo, and really cared about his mission. However, there are 2 episodes in season 3, Past Tense and Through the Looking Glass, that make me wonder what it would have been like if Brooks played Sisko differently from the start. The way he played Gabriel Bell and Mirror Sisko, is so different than Sisko in seasons 1-2. Do you think Brooks could have started off playing Sisko with some of the passion and intensity of Mirror Sisko or would if have seemed out of place and risked turning viewers away?
SISKOTODAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 06:19 PM   #2
ChadHydro
Lieutenant

Location: The Alpha Quadrant - where all the good parties are
View ChadHydro's Twitter Profile
Re: Sisko in the early years

I like that Avery plays Sisko as being fairly reserved because when the emotion does finally come out it's that much more of a special performance. I always thought that Sisko was a very emotional guy but that he kept it bottled up most of the time.
Old March 29 2010, 12:40 AM   #3
diankra
Commodore

For better or worse (though I'd go for better) Avery Brooks's underplayed performance in the early seasons led to the 'ensemble show' (this week it's Odo, this week it's Garak and Bashir, next it's Jake and Nog...) that made DS9 different to the previous shows, and far better than any the attempts to re-do the starship template on Voyager and Enterprise.
And when Brooks did let rip, he was excellent.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2010, 01:47 AM   #4
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

I wonder if he was instructed to downplay any emotional acting in the early seasons. Story goes many of the 'human actors' on VOY were directed as such so the 'alien actors' would stand out more.
Old March 29 2010, 02:05 AM   #5
SISKOTODAX
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sisko has a lot of confrontational scenes with Kira and Odo during the first few seasons. Usually, he takes a restrained approach and lets them vent and yell at him. He cuts them a lot of slack. Starting in season 4, poor Worf had to deal with a different guy. In episodes like Sons of Mogh, The Ship, and The Darkness and the Light, Sisko goes off on Worf in a way he never did with Kira or Odo, LOL.
Old March 29 2010, 02:40 AM   #6
Picard Alpha
Commander

SISKOTODAX wrote: View Post
Sisko has a lot of confrontational scenes with Kira and Odo during the first few seasons. Usually, he takes a restrained approach and lets them vent and yell at him. He cuts them a lot of slack. Starting in season 4, poor Worf had to deal with a different guy. In episodes like Sons of Mogh, The Ship, and The Darkness and the Light, Sisko goes off on Worf in a way he never did with Kira or Odo, LOL.
I thought it was pretty obvious, Kira and Odo are not Starfleet Officers, Worf is. We should expect a more mentor/teacher/boss approach from the good Captain. Besides, in the beginning Sisko was trying hard to work with Kira and all of the Bajorans to strengthen ties. It's not like Starfleet ever completely trusted Odo with station security, they kept assigning Starfleet security officers who turn out to be Maquis spies...
Picard Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2010, 01:06 PM   #7
Admiral Shran
Admiral

From an in-character perspective it works just fine, IMO. At first Sisko didn't want to be there and never really considered the station his "home," so he kept himself reserved. However, once he grew more comfortable with things like living on the station, his attachment to Bajor, and his role as the Emissary, he allowed his emotions to come to the forefront.
Old March 30 2010, 12:47 AM   #8
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

"Go over my head again, and I'll have yours on a platter."

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 01:35 AM   #9
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

One thing that Sisko did in the early years is that when an officer like, say, Miles came to his office to talk, he might be calm and reserved and kind of sit on the desk, while turned to face him or soemthing.

I can't imagine a bald, goatee'd Sisko doing that.
Old March 30 2010, 02:03 AM   #10
SISKOTODAX
Lieutenant Junior Grade

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Well, at least I think he said it to her in a very mild mannered way, LOL.
Old March 30 2010, 02:13 AM   #11
SISKOTODAX
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
One thing that Sisko did in the early years is that when an officer like, say, Miles came to his office to talk, he might be calm and reserved and kind of sit on the desk, while turned to face him or soemthing.

I can't imagine a bald, goatee'd Sisko doing that.
Sisko with hair dealt with confrontation in a reactive i don't want to hurt your feelings too much way like superman.
Bald Sisko dealt with confrontation with a proactive get the hell out of my way attitude like Batman.
Old March 30 2010, 02:31 AM   #12
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Well, at least I think he said it to her in a very mild mannered way, LOL.
That was because it's much scarier and likely to be taken seriously when it's said calmly. Shouting makes you look unstable, calm threats make you look like someone who's not to be trifled with.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 03:25 AM   #13
indolover
Fleet Captain

Sisko was too rigid in the early seasons. i think after season 4, he grew a lot. This coincided with the shaven head and the beard, so it must have been a lucky charm for Avery Brooks.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2010, 06:09 PM   #14
Navaros
Commodore

I don't agree with the premise of the OP. The Sisko was the same aggressive, emotional guy right from the start. I.e. Demanding for Kira to get her subordinate, inferior butt the heck out of his office right away.

The Sisko did look better, visually, from S4 and on, because that's when they let Brooks look that way (he wanted to from the start). I don't think Brooks played him any differently, though.
Navaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2010, 12:09 PM   #15
VirtualDestiny
Ensign

In season 1 & 2 Sisko was NOT a leader in the sense that kirk Picard were
Once he shaved his hair off and looked like a leader, and quickly evolved into a leader/hero. The way a person looks and acts has a great bearing on how they are perceived by others. Avery Brooks new this an was allowed to keep in Spencer for hire look. IMHO he became the quintisential leader with all the qualities of a true commander from season 4 onwards, from the moment he told worf that he could have run away from the uniform himself