Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 4 2009, 06:37 AM   #1
KingstonTrekker
Commander

Discuss Greg Cox's The 4400: Welcome To Promise City (SPOILERS)

Wasn't sure where to post this thread since it does not discuss a Star Trek book...then I noticed a thread here for David Mack's The Calling...so I thought I would post here!

As a fan of The 4400 TV Series I really enjoyed this novel. I also read the previous two books in this novel series, but this one felt the most "on target" in capturing the essence of the series. I also loved how Cox took this story in new directions, since this is the first novel to be set after the series' abrupt and inexplicable cancellation.

Lots of great twists and turns... Tom and Diana are back in action, Maia can still see glimpses of the future, Jordan Collier is up to his old tricks, the Marked are back, lots of characters with neat abilities due to fifty/fifty, appearances by plenty of familiar faces, and much more -- this one is a must-read for fans of the tv series!
KingstonTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 11:15 AM   #2
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny
Re: Discuss Greg Cox's The 4400: Welcome To Promise City (SPOILERS)

KingstonTrekker wrote: View Post
Wasn't sure where to post this thread since it does not discuss a Star Trek book...then I noticed a thread here for David Mack's The Calling...so I thought I would post here!

As a fan of The 4400 TV Series I really enjoyed this novel. I also read the previous two books in this novel series, but this one felt the most "on target" in capturing the essence of the series. I also loved how Cox took this story in new directions, since this is the first novel to be set after the series' abrupt and inexplicable cancellation.

Lots of great twists and turns... Tom and Diana are back in action, Maia can still see glimpses of the future, Jordan Collier is up to his old tricks, the Marked are back, lots of characters with neat abilities due to fifty/fifty, appearances by plenty of familiar faces, and much more -- this one is a must-read for fans of the tv series!
It's on my list, but I have over a hundred books that I own on on the to-read list, so it will have to wait a while unfortunately.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

KingstonTrekker wrote: View Post
a must-read for fans of the tv series!

Glad you liked the book!

There was another thread about it over in the SF & Fantasy section but it seems to have died out . . . .
Old August 4 2009, 03:57 PM   #4
JD
Admiral

How much of a recap is there over the events of the show? I haven't seen it since it went off the air, and I only remember the very basic idea of what was going on when it ended.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Knowing that the book was going to come out two years after the show went off the air, I tried to refresh people's memories throughout. There's not a big "Previously on THE 4400" intro at the beginning, but lots of useful exposition woven into the text.

"Burkhoff had first met Tess in a mental hospital five years ago," etc.

That sort of thing.

And the opening chapter pretty much lays down the status quo in Seattle following the series finale.
Old August 4 2009, 04:34 PM   #6
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ I take much the same approach in the next book, The 4400: Promises Broken.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 05:12 PM   #7
JD
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Knowing that the book was going to come out two years after the show went off the air, I tried to refresh people's memories throughout. There's not a big "Previously on THE 4400" intro at the beginning, but lots of useful exposition woven into the text.

"Burkhoff had first met Tess in a mental hospital five years ago," etc.

That sort of thing.

And the opening chapter pretty much lays down the status quo in Seattle following the series finale.
Cool, because that's pretty much all I need to refresh my memory.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2009, 06:26 PM   #8
KingstonTrekker
Commander

JD wrote: View Post
How much of a recap is there over the events of the show? I haven't seen it since it went off the air, and I only remember the very basic idea of what was going on when it ended.
I know Greg replied to your question, but I wanted to assure you that there is plenty of exposition embedded throughout the book to "catch you up." I really like how Greg did this -- he included the necessary background information into the book in an organic manner so it flowed along with the story. I was never confused or feeling like I had missed something since it has been so long since the series left the air.
Old August 4 2009, 07:11 PM   #9
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

It's always a balancing act. I recall a review of my first 4400 book that complained that I spent too much time recapping information that most 4400 fans already knew. But in this case, since so much time had passed, I erred towards refreshing fuzzy memories . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; August 4 2009 at 07:29 PM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 02:16 AM   #10
Braxton
Fleet Captain

I loved The 4400 series and have nearly all of it on DVD. I know there's not too many books out yet so I'm hoping I can get caught up. What books are out?

Braxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 02:51 AM   #11
Christopher
Writer

Available:
The Vesuvius Prophecy by Greg Cox
Wet Work by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
Welcome to Promise City by Greg Cox.

Still upcoming:
Promises Broken by David Mack

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 08:14 PM   #12
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

And since it's a David Mack book, expect death and destruction on a scale never before seen...though how he'll beat the deaths of 63 billion and the loss of hundreds of planets I'm not quite sure...

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 09:35 PM   #13
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

BrotherBenny wrote: View Post
And since it's a David Mack book, expect death and destruction on a scale never before seen...though how he'll beat the deaths of 63 billion and the loss of hundreds of planets I'm not quite sure...

Note to self: do not invest in Seattle real estate.
Old August 5 2009, 10:36 PM   #14
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

^ Might want to sell off any Vancouver and/or Portland assets you might have, too, while you're at it...
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 10:56 PM   #15
KingstonTrekker
Commander

Welcome to Promise City does make reference to "The Big One" (I assume meaning West Coast Earthquake) occuring "sometime in the future." I just assumed that Greg Cox was foreshadowing David Mack's next book in the series.