Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old August 8 2009, 02:47 AM   #31
Chrisisall
Commodore

Re: HIDEF..too good?

Rob, that avi is awesome.
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2009, 04:24 AM   #32
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Chrisisall wrote: View Post
Rob, that avi is awesome.
thanks..though I have since switched to DAN FOUTS for just a bit!!!

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2009, 07:46 AM   #33
Maurice
Vice Admiral

BillyJack wrote: View Post
Well, we could always do the Robert Wise did and smear Vaseline on the screen.
Where? Or are you talking about the blurriness caused by the use of the split diopter?

As to the matte painted people in TMP, sheesh, I noticed that on VHS. Where've your eyeballs been?

Also, just to be correct, the image used to extend the corridor outside Engineering is not a matte painting. A matte painting is a post production effect that requires a matte (hence the name). What you're looking at is probably a TRANSLITE, which is backlit artwork, or, at the very least, a painted set extension. As it's shot live on the set, it's not a matte.
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice Navidad; August 8 2009 at 07:28 PM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2009, 02:22 PM   #34
trevanian
Rear Admiral

The painted people have been obvious since before day one, newsweek or time ran a still of that shot pre-release and it was obvious there, but it was seriously obvious in the theatre, and the shot design doesn't hide it ... you've got that booth on the left and the tram on the right and life in the foreground, so the dead painted area draws the eye BECAUSE it is dead.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2009, 02:37 PM   #35
RobertScorpio
Pariah

trevanian wrote: View Post
The painted people have been obvious since before day one, newsweek or time ran a still of that shot pre-release and it was obvious there, but it was seriously obvious in the theatre, and the shot design doesn't hide it ... you've got that booth on the left and the tram on the right and life in the foreground, so the dead painted area draws the eye BECAUSE it is dead.
Well..maybe for you. And maybe this stuff was known a long time ago at the dawn of the dinosaurs..but not for me. Consider me a late bloomer. I didn't notice it until just about two weeks ago and I've been showing everyone how 'smart' i am. Now here you come along telling me this is old stuff..you are ruining the image my friends have of me; all knowing..all wise!! STOP IT!!!

Just kidding..seriously..I never saw this stuff until now so that is why its fun to do. And as I said before, its all done in total respect of the movie making process and not mean to make fun of anyone...

Rob
Old August 9 2009, 01:02 AM   #36
Chrisisall
Commodore

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
backlit artwork
Have mercy DS, kids don't know this stuff. "Matte" covers everything that FX Peeps used to do, doncha know?
Old August 9 2009, 02:32 AM   #37
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Well, scenic artists aren't fx people (vfx or physical/practical effects), so ...
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2009, 03:48 AM   #38
Maurice
Vice Admiral

backlit artwork
Have mercy DS, kids don't know this stuff. "Matte" covers everything that FX Peeps used to do, doncha know?
Given how much discussion of VFX there is on this board, maybe a "VFX And What Ain't 101" thread would be a good idea. Then everyone would know the difference between rear projection, front projection, IntroVision, Zoptic, hanging miniatures, glass shots, matte shots, repeat-pass motion control elements, go motion, stop motion, sodium vapour process, etc., and what a translite, forced perspective set, cyclorama, etc. is, too.

The again, I ain't writing all those descriptions!
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old August 9 2009, 04:52 AM   #39
Chrisisall
Commodore

rear projection, front projection, IntroVision, Zoptic, hanging miniatures, glass shots, matte shots, repeat-pass motion control elements, go motion, stop motion, sodium vapour process, etc., and what a translite, forced perspective set, cyclorama,
Let them eat Google.
Old August 9 2009, 07:47 AM   #40
Maurice
Vice Admiral

rear projection, front projection, IntroVision, Zoptic, hanging miniatures, glass shots, matte shots, repeat-pass motion control elements, go motion, stop motion, sodium vapour process, etc., and what a translite, forced perspective set, cyclorama,
Let them eat Google.
Yeah...unfortunately, being the internet, lots of the Googled results are of dubious merit. I recently had to revise a nearly incomprehensible and inaccurate description on IntroVision on Wikipedia, which read like someone was copying information from an article but didn't really understand what they were reading. Me, I looked up the patent and used that as a primary reference!
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old August 9 2009, 10:55 AM   #41
RobertScorpio
Pariah

backlit artwork
Given how much discussion of VFX there is on this board, maybe a "VFX And What Ain't 101" thread would be a good idea. Then everyone would know the difference between rear projection, front projection, IntroVision, Zoptic, hanging miniatures, glass shots, matte shots, repeat-pass motion control elements, go motion, stop motion, sodium vapour process, etc., and what a translite, forced perspective set, cyclorama, etc. is, too.

perhaps..but it is a good idea!!!

So...okay..how did they do the moving starfied in TOS????

Rob
Old August 9 2009, 10:42 PM   #42
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
A rotating barrel, draped with black fabric, upon which are glued tiny squares of aluminum.

Same as on TNG. I actually have a single quarter-inch "star" from the set of TNG.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2009, 02:11 AM   #43
Maurice
Vice Admiral

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post

perhaps..but it is a good idea!!!

Rob
Which moving starfield? The fly-through ones seen on the viewer? The ones for the exterior space shots as the ship flies by?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old August 10 2009, 03:19 AM   #44
Trevacious
Captain

Some of you may have already seen these things, so bravo zulu to you. But now, with my 1080p and blurays, I can REALLY see these things.
You could've seen them even better at the theater in 1979, if you were really watching for them.
Trevacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2009, 04:31 AM   #45
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Ziz wrote: View Post
Is your TV one of the new 120Hz ones? If so, try to look at the movement and depth of the image. It looks like news or sports, right? I noticed it on my sister's set, not knowing that hers is 120Hz, and couldn't figure out why the image didn't look right until I saw it in a store side by side with a standard 60Hz set.

If your set is 120Hz, that may also be contributing to why you're noticing these things now.
Ziz..and everyone else..I JUST got a 1080p 240hz TV this weekend...i am ABSOLUTELY floored with how 'fake' everything looks now. I just watched KHAN with my friend, and oh my god..its like YOU ARE THERE watching them film it. I cant put in words what i mean..but when we watched IRONMAN after Khan, and since Iron man is a newer film, the images are TOO perfect. The scene inside the HUMVEE with Tony and the army dudes is SO LIFE LIKE its like you're watching it live and for some reason? It doesn't look like a movie anymore. It looks like I am watching them film a movie and I am there and..well...before you get one of these TVs I warn you...BEWARE. It is hard to put in word. GO TEST one..I spent $2800 on this TV and, well, I am kind of regretting it..BUT NO..I wont get rid of it...I'm just saying that you may want to test one out before you get one...amazing

Rob

Last edited by RobertScorpio; August 10 2009 at 07:46 AM.