Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 12 13.19%
Above average 38 41.76%
Average 19 20.88%
Below average 11 12.09%
Poor 11 12.09%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 6 2009, 04:39 PM   #46
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

oh, and there is a 'YO JOE!' at the end from Heavy Duty. and haters of the D6 accelerator suits should be happy, they won't return according to last month's Total Film. too uncomfortable and too impractical.

why it's Ripcord and not, say Stalker, also makes sense in the story. Why he's black, not white? colour-blind casting i guess.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 06:33 PM   #47
Darth_Pinche
Captain

I am now pumped to see this!
Old August 6 2009, 10:25 PM   #48
billcosby
Commodore

Wha- no Shipwreck?? He's my fave!

Keep those reviews coming... this all sounds promising. Isn't Destro in this??

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 10:32 PM   #49
Aragorn
Admiral

Destro is the main British bad guy you see in all the trailers (aka the guy from Dr. Who, Heroes and 28 Days Later).
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 10:46 PM   #50
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I read the comic-book adaptation and thought it was mediocre. We'll see about the film.
Old August 6 2009, 10:53 PM   #51
Thrall
Commodore

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
oh, and there is a 'YO JOE!' at the end from Heavy Duty. and haters of the D6 accelerator suits should be happy, they won't return according to last month's Total Film. too uncomfortable and too impractical.

why it's Ripcord and not, say Stalker, also makes sense in the story. Why he's black, not white? colour-blind casting i guess.

Oh thank God.

Honestly though, I hope it does well if for nothing else so we can have Flint and Lady Jaye in the sequel. I wonder if Zartan looks like Alice Cooper. And isn't Breaker the one who ends up banging Zartan's sister?
Old August 7 2009, 02:20 AM   #52
jep316
Fleet Captain

TheGallifreyanSith wrote: View Post
cultcross wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I liked the hood. Apparently they didn't go with it because it was too reminiscent of the Ku Klux Klan's attire.
Given that he is (I presume) a 'bad guy', what was the worry with comparisons to the KKK?
Yeah, I don't get it myself. He's a frakking terrorist, so what if he looks like he's part of the KKK, that's sort of the point he's evil, he's pissed off, and he's coming to kill you.

Whatever happened to letting bad buys be as bad as they could get in movies?
Really ..you know the more I think about it the more the reason for not having Cobra Commander in a mask makes no sense...they didn't want CC to look like a member of the KKK?..hello remember Darth Vader and the Empire?...they were completely made to make you think of Nazi's..the troops were called Stormtroopers and Vader's helmet was partially made to look like the helmets worn by German soilders..and that didn't hurt Star Wars too much did it?

"Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever,you keep on talking." Hank Hill
jep316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 03:50 AM   #53
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gi_joe/

GODDAMN that's a pretty steep fall!
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 06:07 AM   #54
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

ABOVE AVERAGE

As a modest Joe fan I knew going in I'd have different expectations than a die hard Joe fan. I was prepared even with my modest knowlege to rip it up. I found it rather enjoyable despite some changes and relationship dynamics they elected to show.

Why Cobra Commander can't have one of his two most famous masks but they still honor Destro's is stupid. It's like honoring Optimus Primes look and taking creative liberty with the others just because you can, not that it makes any sense. They did it just to do it, have the fingerprints on something new regardless if its better, which it is not.

Snake Eyes owns the movie.
Scarlett was great.
Baroness was awesome.
Duke was good.

What humor is in it isn't overplayed. Yes a couple seem cheesy and you know they were included as the *wink/nods* to fans so when they come just roll with it. Its only a few and the movie does take itself seriously. This is not an action comedy. Its a action flick with some small bit of comedy.

Its wide open for a sequel and I say some characters fates are left to creative rewrite for a sequel.

I wouldn't mind seeing it again and I can't say that for Transformers 2 and I'm a HUGE Transformers fan.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 06:24 AM   #55
Aragorn
Admiral

I wonder if Paramount is thinking about a Transformers/GI Joe crossover.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 07:29 AM   #56
captcalhoun
Admiral

sommers has said no.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 08:29 AM   #57
Jono
Rear Admiral

Gave it an above average.

SPOILERS BELOW

Story was fine for what it was. Acting was fine and for most of the film it looked good.

There were some noticeably average CGI, the ones that spring to mind are the polar bear and the CGI effect on Destro at the end. The accelerator suits looked good for most of it, at some points they stuck out in an odd way. Give it Transformers 2's budget and

I have to say I felt the chase scene through Paris went too long without enough variety, you could have shaved a few minutes off and it would have been tighter and probably more enjoyable.

Given the flashbacks of Duke/Baroness and Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow during the movie I did find myself wanting to see some of the other Joes and Cobra's but storywise in the end I can see that other then making it a bit longer they wouldn't serve much purpose for the most part.

I liked the characters, with one exception: the Baroness. She looked good and the acting was fine it was just what happened with her character towards the end. It seemed what they did was just so they could have love interests for both the two main Joes. From what I remember it was usually Scarlett and Duke, but I didn't mind the Ripcord/Scarlett love interest.

Rex to Cobra Commanded seemed a bit too vague as well. It just seem to be, "You thought I was dead, but I was and now I'm back and I'm evil! Why? Because that's what you do when you come back from the dead!"

That all said, I would look forward to a sequel.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 09:01 AM   #58
Thrall
Commodore

I take back everything I ever said about it. It was fucking awesome. Easily the best action movie of the year. I didn't think Stephen Sommers had it in him to direct a good movie. I guess everyone gets lucky once in a while.

THE GOOD:

-Snake Eyes pwns this movie. Forget Darth Maul. Ray Park chews scenery without ever speaking a word.

-The action is just non-stop awesomeness. It's over-the-top, without being stupid or completely aimless. There's just too many "HOLY SHIT" moments to count. And the plot is pretty damn good too. The Ninja fights are just amazing.

-The casting and acting are great. Siena Miller and Rachel Nichols are jaw droppingly hot. Duke is the perfect Army guy. And Marlon Wayans manages to somehow not ruin this movie. Too bad Dennis Quaid didn't have more to do though.

-I admit the Iron Man suits work. They work because it's not all about the suits. They're just a small part of a larger picture of the type of tech The Joe's use.

-I like The Duke/Baroness pairing. It's got a Batman/Catwoman or Daredevil/Elektra vibe to it. Lots of angst, which seems to be the popular theme nowadays.

-The international theme works as well. It makes sense that they would need more then one country to fund all their marvelous toys.

-BRENDAN FRAISER AS MUTHAFUCKIN' FLINT!!

-The Pit is like the coolest homebase ever. Screw The X-Mansion.

THE BAD:

-Too many flashbacks IMO

-I like my Baroness evil. I didn't like the brainwashing theme and good guy turn at the end. I kept waiting for her to betray Duke at the end and was saddened that it didn't happen. Having her get away would have given Duke more reason to stay on and keep fighting.

-The Destro and Cobra Commander origin was a bit much IMO. It was like the one super-cheese ball/Typical Steven Sommers moment in the movie. Still better then Darth Vader's "NOOOOOOO!!" though.

-Not a fan of Ripcord/Scarlet. Scarlet should either be with Snake Eyes or Duke. No exceptions.

-No Eurotrash accent from The Baroness?

-Cobra Commanders secret identity was painfully predictable.

-Not a good start for CC as leader by getting captured right after he has his big Villain Origin moment. Then again, it's par for the course for the cartoon version.

THE UGLY:

-I still hate CC's redesign. But it's barely there, so it's not as annoying. I hope for the sequel they give him his classic look.
Old August 7 2009, 09:11 AM   #59
Data Holmes
Admiral

Above average.

And am I the only one who thinks the baroness turning sides was always part of CC's plan, it was just that she was going to be the one to set up Destro's injury/accident. She'll be the one to break out CC and Destro in the second one, with Storm shadows help...
Old August 7 2009, 09:50 AM   #60
Skywalker
Admiral

After the positive reception this seems to be getting here (which means far more to me than movie critics), I'm seriously considering checking this out. I could use a good, fun, escapist action adventure.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote