RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 772
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 12 13.19%
Above average 38 41.76%
Average 19 20.88%
Below average 11 12.09%
Poor 11 12.09%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 6 2009, 03:51 AM   #31
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
billcosby wrote: View Post
I liked the hood. Apparently they didn't go with it because it was too reminiscent of the Ku Klux Klan's attire.
Erm, GIJoe fans will know that Cobra Commander also wore an awesome silver shield/helmet thing over his face.
That's true. I don't know why that wasn't used in this movie.
Me too
Old August 6 2009, 03:58 AM   #32
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Black Lodge wrote: View Post
Why doesn't Destro in the film have a silver head of metal? Did they think he would stick out in a public place or something?
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 04:25 AM   #33
Agent Richard07
Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
I just think Hollywood has an avertion to completely masked cinema characters. With Darth Vader an exception, I find these days masked characters spend little screen time with their face covered. Just look at Spider Man. He can't keep his friggin' mask on for more than a few minutes.
That may have something to do with either the stars or the studio wanting face time. Stars want to be seen and the studios want them to be seen. Concern that the audience won't relate to a character who's nothing more than a "mask" might also be a factor depending on the situation.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 05:15 AM   #34
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

here's a clip
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1086652953/
Old August 6 2009, 07:49 AM   #35
Aragorn
Admiral

Roger Ebert's reviews for this week are up and GI Joe isn't one of them. I wonder why he didn't review it.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 07:53 AM   #36
Daneel
Rear Admiral

^^^^^
It wasn't screened in advance for major critics. Not that I can judge the film (which I haven't seen, and may not see at all, period), but I can't say I'm too surprised by the studio's decision there.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 07:53 AM   #37
Thrall
Commodore

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
i just want Flint and Jaye in the sequel. couldn't give a rat's ass about anyone else. preferably with Jaye being played by Jen Garner. (C'mon, Sydney Bristow was a 5-year audition for 'fit brunette who kicks ass and disguises herself a lot' Lady Jaye)
Yeah, I love those two. But there is no way in Hell is this a good movie. It's Stephen Sommers. It's impossible for him to direct a good movie. Impossible I say. All these good reviews are just critics thinking it would be funny to fuck with people.
Old August 6 2009, 08:04 AM   #38
Aragorn
Admiral

Daneel wrote: View Post
^^^^^
It wasn't screened in advance for major critics. Not that I can judge the film (which I haven't seen, and may not see at all, period), but I can't say I'm too surprised by the studio's decision there.
That's not a good sign. Once in a while it just means the studio is completely clueless as to what kind of movie they have (Tombstone), but almost always we're talking about Snakes on a Plane, Disaster Movie, Saw XVIII, Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li and BloodRayne. Even a bad review lets people know about the movie.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 08:09 AM   #39
Thrall
Commodore

Aragorn wrote: View Post
^^^^^
That's not a good sign. Once in a while it just means the studio is completely clueless as to what kind of movie they have (Tombstone), but almost always we're talking about Snakes on a Plane, Disaster Movie, Saw XVIII, Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li and BloodRayne. Even a bad review lets people know about the movie.
Oh come on. Snakes on Plane was great. Well...sort of. Kind of. Not really, ok sure. But it was great.
Old August 6 2009, 08:28 AM   #40
Daneel
Rear Admiral

^^^^^
Well, at least it delivers what it promises.

Aragorn wrote: View Post
^^^^^
True. Bad reviews certainly didn't hurt Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, but that film had the advantage of being a sequel to a movie that was (apparently) enjoyed by a large number of people. G.I. Joe doesn't have that going for it, and perhaps the studio feels it's not as "critic-proof" as other films might be, hence this decision, which may speak volumes about their faith in the final product. Perhaps they got a little worried after observing the largely negative reactions to the trailers (which, personally, didn't impress me at all).

It should be noted, though, that advance screenings for G.I. Joe are still occurring -- the press just hasn't been invited to them. It seems the studios are hoping that the word-of-mouth generated by fanboys/amateur critics will be kinder than the reviews from professional critics and help give the film a boost. So far, it seems that approach may actually be working, as a number of the early, online reviews have suggested that the film is not a disaster but rather a fairly solid and fun action flick. I somehow doubt most of the major critics will agree, but I guess we'll find out eventually.

Whatever happens, I'll be very interested to see how this movie fares at the box office.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 01:13 PM   #41
SeerSGB
Admiral

cultcross wrote: View Post
Black Lodge wrote: View Post
I can't stand what they have done with the look of Cobra Commander. His action figure looked so cool and evil.
I liked the hood. Apparently they didn't go with it because it was too reminiscent of the Ku Klux Klan's attire.
Given that he is (I presume) a 'bad guy', what was the worry with comparisons to the KKK?
Yeah, I don't get it myself. He's a frakking terrorist, so what if he looks like he's part of the KKK, that's sort of the point he's evil, he's pissed off, and he's coming to kill you.

Whatever happened to letting bad buys be as bad as they could get in movies?
Old August 6 2009, 01:41 PM   #42
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

I'm going to give the movie one huge chunk of credit. In those action scenes we didn't have shaky cam everywhere. I could actually tell who was who and what was happening. That's a good sign!
Old August 6 2009, 03:28 PM   #43
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

I saw the movie last night and it's not as bad as I initially thought it would be. Far, far superior to Transformers 2.
It was nice seeing shit blowing up in Paris.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 04:12 PM   #44
captcalhoun
Admiral

i voted excellent. it's not completely excellent, but with a choice between 'above average' and 'excellent', i went excellent.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Okay, they changed stuff, like all this nano-mites crap that means the majority of the villains aren't doing it for the cash, the ideaology or whatever, they're brainwashed. okay, Cobra Commander's not the old used car-salesman from the comic book, BUT they are a lot like the characters in the comics i'm most familiar with.

Snake Eyes is freaking badass. he - as a child - says one line, 'Master...Master...' but other than that says nothing, as he's taken a vow of silence.

Scarlett's hot and a badass. Her crossbow fires laser-guided explosive-tipped arrows.

Duke's badass. He's a real soldier through-and-through, hence a gag from Ripcord that he wasn't born, he's government issue. never seen Tatum in anything before, but he was good. i liked the character.

Heavy Duty's good, he's British and is tough and lugs around a BFG (not the Quake wep, a literal bfg) and takes charge well.

Ripcord's kinda the comic relief, but not in a bad way. he makes wisecracks like McClane in Die Hard and is a stand up guy. I liked him. (when he's been given morphine me makes a joke about Heavy Duty's 'life-like hair' and when HD grabs his wrist he quips he has a 'kung-fu grip' as well as the aforementioned GI joke.)

Hawk is great. Quaid really sells the idea of this guy being a tough nut general who doesn't stand messing.

Cover Girl is wasted as Hawk's aide. and literally by the bad guys.

Breaker's good. I liked him and he's the very Q-like man with all the tech gear.

Arnold Vosloo's good as Zartan and he does wind up shape-shifting and he does use disguises.

Sienna Miller's good as the Baroness. Very much a femme fatale in the way you expect and way hot.

Ecclestone's good as James McCullen. Very much a Bondian villain and winds up as 'Destro' at the end.

Storm Shadow's approriately badass and very much the cold ninja killer. Sadly, no redemption plot for him in 2...

Doctor Mindbender gets a name check and brief appearance, but you only know him as Mindbender from the name.

The Doctor, the man who will be Cobra Commander. Very nasty, very much a comic book villain in appearance and methods. I liked him (in a 'good villain' way)

The Pit's very impressive. as is MARS' underwater facility. (Think Bond turned up to 12) There's a cameo appearance from Brendan Fraser as 'Sgt. Stone' who appears to be a PT instructor type and very no-nonsense. There's a brief glimpse of an Asian woman who does martial arts, possibly Jinx? at least an allusion/homage in the same way the X-flicks did in the first 2 movies with Shadowcat and Jubilee.

They're very much a team and no one character's the hero - unlike the X-flicks where Wolverine rode roughshod over everyone else. Duke's captured and it falls to a chick, an Arab and two black guys to rescue him.

Yes, they're international. No, they're not based in Brussels. Actually, Egypt. No, they're not 'Global Integrated Joint Operations Entity' or whatever bullshit backronym it was, they're simply 'G.I. Joe'. And, despite the internationality, it doesn't really affect the story.

Basically, if you're in doubts as to whether to see it, think of it as a modern Bond movie, but with a team saving the day, not one man.

9/10
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 04:31 PM   #45
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Nice review! Too bad about Cover Girl.
I'll be seeing it tonight at a sneak at 7:30cst.
Report to follow.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote