Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old August 5 2009, 02:51 AM   #1
Photon
Commodore

Fanboy Time: Straight up- Defiant vs Warbird-

Who wins who flames out?

I say the Defiant is bloodied but wins b/c it has The Sisko and he makes liberal use of the QT's
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 04:09 AM   #2
EmperorTiberius
Captain

Re: Fanboy Time: Straight up- Defiant vs Warbird-

Warbird easily. Proof from this FNS holocapture:

Warbird invades Bajoran sector as local Defiant task force is decimated and retreats. Warbird suffered no damage. The faith of DS9 is unknown following the loss of all communications with the station.

Last edited by EmperorTiberius; August 5 2009 at 04:37 AM.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 04:43 AM   #3
Bones
Commodore

Assuming you mean the D'deridex class, then it's difficult to call. I know they appear quite a few times in Trek, but have we ever really seen them fight very often? The only occasion I can think of is the Founders' trap in The Die Is Cast, so there's not much evidence to go on.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 06:30 AM   #4
Jono
Rear Admiral

Given my rather low opinion of the Warbird as a combatant I'd back the Defiant. The Warbird has always seem to be more show then go in my opinion.

The Defiant tore the Regent's flagship a new one and that was huge and was bristling with weapons. Then in the First Battle of Chin'toka a Warbird was knocked out of the fight in 3 second by the OWPs, while the Defiant kept trucking. The strength of the Warbird would be in its ability to cloak and that it could decloak and catch the enemy by surprise. You take away that first strike and force it to battle it out I don't think it has the pure toughness of the Defiant, which was designed to tough it out. The cloaking device just happened to be an extra.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 06:34 AM   #5
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

Do games count?

If you want scenarios in games where the two could go head to head you've got:

Birth of the Federation: If the D'deridex has the 'free-turn' cloak advantage, it would go to the D'deridex. If not, both ships carry enough weapons to destroy each other in a single turn if they manage to fire them all off before being destroyed by the other.

Armada: D'deridex again, since it has the shields and hull to withstand the two pulse cannons, while being able to pound the destroyed sized Defiant in short order with disruptors and torpdoes. Even quicker if you add the technobabble special weapons for both. The opening intro does have a funky destruction of a Warbird by Worf's Defiant class though

Legacy: D'deridex yet again, since it has the all arc firepower to keep hitting a Defiant, even if the Defiant is able to get very close to reduce the ease of the Warbird getting a lock with multiple weapons. The Defiant however can get a very damaging opening salvo on the way in, but will in turn suffer a massive one in doing so.
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 06:43 AM   #6
Bones
Commodore

In BOTF, the D'deridex was the Soveriegn equivalent, so taking the cloaking advantage out of the equation, and all other things being equal (such as crew exp.), I'd still expect the Warbird to win.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Old August 5 2009, 10:31 AM   #7
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

Very true, but the Defiant was an oddball in terms of not having any equivalents in any other races, by dint of being almost as advanced (or just as advanced, can't remember) as the Sovereign, and IIRC had sufficient firepower to wipe out even a Sovereign. The problem would mainly be the Defiant surviving long enough to fire all it's weapons before succumbing to the Warbird's firepower.
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 01:16 PM   #8
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I've got to vote Defiant.
Old August 5 2009, 04:52 PM   #9
EmperorTiberius
Captain

On the serious note, Defiant is my favorite Fed Ship, but I can't see how it can win without the hero factor.

The ship destroys small vessels and Cardassian cruisers. We never see them take on big ones and succeed. It takes on Lakota and struggles with it. It's easily destroyed by Dominion battleship. It runs away from Vor'cha. The Negh'var she defeats is mirror one, and their tech seems to be inferior, so I won't count that.

Warbird is a match for Galaxy-class which means massive shielding and allegedly more powerful disruptors. I just can't see one defiant defeating it without the crew outsmarting the other Romulan crew.
Old August 5 2009, 07:01 PM   #10
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Photon wrote: View Post
I say the Defiant is bloodied but wins b/c it has The Sisko and he makes liberal use of the QT's
If Tomalak was in command of the Warbird not even Sisko would stand a chance!
Old August 5 2009, 09:58 PM   #11
Bones
Commodore

GodBen wrote: View Post
That makes the D'deridex look pathetic. If you're not directly in front of it, you're in no danger.
It's No Gahy Test.
Old August 6 2009, 01:36 AM   #12
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Jono wrote: View Post
Then in the First Battle of Chin'toka a Warbird was knocked out of the fight in 3 second by the OWPs, while the Defiant kept trucking.
We never saw what really happened to that Warbird other than it took some hits. It kept flying on when the scene cut to another part of the battle. A Galaxy class took similar damage to the Warbird and kept firing phasers, too. If the Warbird was knocked out of the fight, it probably wasn't from the first three seconds.

Anyway, back to the battle, I wouldn't be surprised if the Defiant could dodge a Warbird's weapons systems. According to various print material, one advantage Starfleet has over the Romulan fleet is the invention of the phaser array, which leads me to believe that even a Warbird has a limited firing arc. It's not that maneuverable to begin with, surely there must be some blind spots on a ship with that much mass.

And if we're using video games as a measure (nods to you, SilentP!), then I bring up Bridge Commander, where the Warbird (and most mods of said Warbird) have a major major blind spot, in that her aft weaponry is nowhere near as complete as her forward weaponry. Keep the Defiant facing the Warbird's aft and the Warbird is in trouble.
Old August 6 2009, 02:01 AM   #13
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Depends on which ship has Worf at tactical.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 02:25 AM   #14
EmperorTiberius
Captain

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Jono wrote: View Post
Then in the First Battle of Chin'toka a Warbird was knocked out of the fight in 3 second by the OWPs, while the Defiant kept trucking.
We never saw what really happened to that Warbird other than it took some hits. It kept flying on when the scene cut to another part of the battle. A Galaxy class took similar damage to the Warbird and kept firing phasers, too. If the Warbird was knocked out of the fight, it probably wasn't from the first three seconds.

Anyway, back to the battle, I wouldn't be surprised if the Defiant could dodge a Warbird's weapons systems. According to various print material, one advantage Starfleet has over the Romulan fleet is the invention of the phaser array, which leads me to believe that even a Warbird has a limited firing arc. It's not that maneuverable to begin with, surely there must be some blind spots on a ship with that much mass.

And if we're using video games as a measure (nods to you, SilentP!), then I bring up Bridge Commander, where the Warbird (and most mods of said Warbird) have a major major blind spot, in that her aft weaponry is nowhere near as complete as her forward weaponry. Keep the Defiant facing the Warbird's aft and the Warbird is in trouble.
I don't really see the need to go off games, when we have the warbird designer saying he gave her 10 disruptor banks, and they look like they have 360 degree firing arc + the big disruptor at the front, and several other weapon emplacements we see her firing from in the show. Her aft firing coverage is especially good with 4 banks able to fire straight aft, and two additional ones that can't cover the 6 o'clock spot, but can fire at 7 and 5 o'clock position. That's as good as galaxy class if you ask me, and way better than definat's aft fire.
Old August 6 2009, 02:45 AM   #15
Photon
Commodore

The Defiant did take out a Dominion Battle Cruiser (not the heavy ship in Valiant) but the feared ship in the battle for DS9.

I've never been impressed w/the Warbirds on screen and I doubt seriously if the Warbirds hull could handle 2 or 3 flurries of QT's.

Superior manueuverability + ablative armor+QT's would equal a Defiant victory.

Here's the best Warbird vs Fed battle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvk3PgRQ5js
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote