RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,404
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 541
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 7 2009, 02:28 AM   #1
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus
Proposing To Your SO...

So how did you go about it? High-romantic? Creepy-Goth? Hand her a ring and announce "resistance is futile?"

For WOB, we discussed the possibility of marriage over dinner at Lindburgers.... Right after we went down to the mall and purchased an engagement ring. Took the ring out to the car, and put it on her finger. Wedding was six weeks later.

Just wondering... the anniversary of this event comes up Saturday, we're going out to eat at Lindburgers to celebrate.
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 02:38 AM   #2
TheLonelySquire
Vice Admiral

Re: Proposing To Your SO...

It wasn't very scenic or thought out. I basically told her "I really, really love you, and I'd be honored to be your husband and the father of your children. Will you marry me?

Boy, was I smart that day.

Happy anniversary! How many years?
TheLonelySquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 02:40 AM   #3
SeerSGB
Admiral

Bascially: "You want to? Sure, okay" and that was over the phone.

First time we met face to face (we got engaged before we met face to face): She gets off the bus, we go straight to the court house and get the license. While we're waiting, one of her friends calls up to ask if I (and I kid you not, and yes the friend was serious) had chopped her to death with an axe yet.
Old August 7 2009, 02:41 AM   #4
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus

TheGallifreyanSith wrote: View Post

First time we met face to face (we got engaged before we met face to face): She gets off the bus, we go straight to the court house and get the license. While we're waiting, one of her friends calls up to ask if I (and I kid you not, and yes the friend was serious) had chopped her to death with an axe yet.

Well, have you?
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 02:51 AM   #5
Rageforthemachine
Rear Admiral

I don't think we have ever really discussed it. We just both kind of assumed it would be a logical step in our relationship one day. I know my girlfriend would really like me to do the romantic formal proposal thing one day so I'll have to figure out a way one day. The first time she ever brought it up a long time ago she asked me if I ever thought about us getting married. I said "I don't see why not". Yeah even my therapist rolled her eyes at me and said "how romantic" when I told her about it. Hey I'm working on it.
Rageforthemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 02:53 AM   #6
Gertch
Admiral

I asked her dad for her hand in marriage during a family get together. In his drunk Irish stupor he asked me why the fuck I was asking him. So after the laughter died down I asked her and she agreed.

We shopped for an engagement ring together shortly afterwards and then took our first child being born for her to actually go through with it.
Gertch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 02:56 AM   #7
SeerSGB
Admiral

Plecostomus wrote: View Post
TheGallifreyanSith wrote: View Post

Well, have you?

Nah...though I told her the first time I meat her friends I'm going to have a hatchet and a butcher's knife hanging from my belt.
Old August 7 2009, 03:05 AM   #8
Kestra
Vice Admiral

He was talking about marriage within months of us first dating. I told him if he even brought it up again within the next few years that we wouldn't have a relationship at all.

Couple years go by, and it was kind of the way it was with us when he first wanted to date. It was basically me going no, not yet, don't want to talk about it, no .... and then one day I was like "Okay, I'm ready."

We didn't get engaged right then. He took me by surprise one morning and the details of it are something that's much more beautiful in my mind than it would be in a post on a forum.

I was never a girl that wanted something big and eventful, though. Just something private and genuine.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 03:17 AM   #9
NickInABox
Captain

View NickInABox's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to NickInABox Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NickInABox Send a message via Yahoo to NickInABox

Imzadi.
So goodbye, goodbye, goodbye
NickInABox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 03:21 AM   #10
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

All I can tell you is this:

Never do tequila shots within a country mile of a wedding chapel.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 03:24 AM   #11
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I proposed to my wife at the top of Kennesaw Mountain (not my FLICKR, found on google).

I did it on her Bday, of course, so I wouldn't have to buy her a present.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 03:50 AM   #12
trampledamage
Clone

We were arranging our summer holiday on the Welsh canals and one of us - can't remember who now - said "We could make this our honeymoon, you know." Job done.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 04:51 AM   #13
FrontLine
Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FrontLine

My wife proposed to me

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"

"Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater - Cars
FrontLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 03:30 PM   #14
MANT!
Rear Admiral

Well, It wasn't easy, (I'd bought the ring earlier that day) She had a busy day scheduled, but during that busy day I convinced her for a walk in a park nearby ..we walked around for about 20 minutes then I proposed just as some quail flew out of a bush right near us..didn't get down on one knee or anything like that as the path was a bit muddy..just asked her, she gave out a startled "Yes" as the quail burst out of the bush and I slipped the ring on her finger..
Old August 7 2009, 03:35 PM   #15
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

We'd been going out off and on for 6 years. One night (when we weren't dating) we got pissed and ended up in bed together. In the morning I told him we were either getting married or he wouldn't see me again. Romantic or what? Next anniversary is our 20th.

No engagement, just booked the registry office that day.