Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 26 2009, 04:19 PM   #1
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

Consider this about Kirk's promotion...

Wouldn't it be pretty damn hard for any captain to have Jim Kirk under his or her command?

I mean, the guy has saved Earth and avenged Vulcan, so he'd basically be a living legend around the Federation. He would have likely accomplished bigger things than any living captain currently in command of a starship.

It would be difficult, I think, for him to be subordinate to anyone. Not because he wouldn't be willing to follow orders, but because his very presence could overshadow the authority of any captain on any vessel he served on.

Maybe they really had no choice but to therefore give him the big job because I think the only alternative would have been to drum him out of Starfleet. And that wouldn't do either.
Norrin Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Opal1
Ensign

Re: Consider this about Kirk's promotion...

Maybe no captain wanted him as First Officer? Too much trouble...
Opal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I said in the original thread that nobody would want Kirk for an underling.

He'd be blasted out the airlock onto a frozen planet on every assignment.
Old May 26 2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Hambone
Fleet Captain

Even as an admiral (movies I-IV), he was more trouble than he was worth, causing constant headaches for Starfeet and the Federation. They had to bust him back down to Captain in order to keep him in line.
Old May 26 2009, 04:51 PM   #5
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

You know what is funny about this is that in the previous films, Kirk was demoted from Admiral to Captain for his heroic efforts

So to see him promoted so quickly was actually a nice change of pace.
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Captain is his level of functionality.
Old May 26 2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Islander
Commodore

Norrin Radd wrote: View Post
Wouldn't it be pretty damn hard for any captain to have Jim Kirk under his or her command?

I mean, the guy has saved Earth and avenged Vulcan, so he'd basically be a living legend around the Federation. He would have likely accomplished bigger things than any living captain currently in command of a starship.

It would be difficult, I think, for him to be subordinate to anyone. Not because he wouldn't be willing to follow orders, but because his very presence could overshadow the authority of any captain on any vessel he served on.

Maybe they really had no choice but to therefore give him the big job because I think the only alternative would have been to drum him out of Starfleet. And that wouldn't do either.
On that theory alone, he should have become Fleet Admiral or even President of the Federation.
Old May 26 2009, 05:36 PM   #8
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

Islander wrote: View Post
On that theory alone, he should have become Fleet Admiral or even President of the Federation.
Nonsense. He's displayed skills as an acting Captain, but never as an acting Admiral or President. That's the difference.
Norrin Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 07:26 PM   #9
FanFanatic
Ensign

He was probably promoted because there were not that many candidates
to choose from. The ships that arrived at Vulcan prior to the Enterprise, were all destroyed, the cadets and officers on board. The remainder of the fleet was elsewhere. I am surprised at how many cadets still filled
the room when Kirk was made captain. (They could have been new recruits.) Even with all the events unfolding on the Enterprise, Chekov,(only 17!), was left in charge of the bridge on two occasions, and he left it to someone else when he ran to the transporter room. It is almost like playing "hot potato". As Spock said in TOS, he never wanted command, anyway. In this instance, I do not believe that Quinto/Spock has developed like the Nimoy/Spock as far as his sense of duty. In 'Jouney to Babel', Spock refused to leave the bridge to save his father's life because of his sense of duty. In this case, Spock left the bridge, during a 'red alert', for personal reasons, to save his mother and father. We don't really know, but Spock could have been offered the captaincy, but declined. It was not mentioned. Kirk showed he had what was needed in an emergency, and never gave up. Pike probably was instrumental in him actually getting the Enterprise itself.
FanFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 07:59 PM   #10
Omega_Glory
Commodore

He's a whiny, immature, brat in this film. Starfleet must be a desperate organization to give such a crybaby the captaincy of the Fleet flagship.

Now, I'm quite a fan of Kirk...but NuKirk has a long, long ways to go. He's Lieutenant j.g. material right now....gushers be dammed.
Omega_Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 09:27 PM   #11
Peter the Younger
Commodore

Eh, I still think it was a stretch from a narrative standpoint, but I understand it as a business decision. All franchises are ultimately constrained by what the "casual fan" will understand/accept, and Paramount obviously decided that it's gotta be Captain Kirk by the end of the movie. Having said that, I wish the writers would have covered themselves with a bit of a fig leaf. Even if they hung a lantern on it, it would have made me feel better, like: "By special order of the Federation Council, you are hereby commissioned at the rank of Captain, and are ordered to report to Admiral Pike, as his relief." Basically just say, yeah, we know this is nuts, but this is a special case.

(And yeah, I know we can assume that is what happened, but this is a case where they could have bolstered the fan service a little without slowing down the film.)

Peter the Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 09:30 PM   #12
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

President Kirk

I like it.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 09:48 PM   #13
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile

Opal1 wrote: View Post
Maybe no captain wanted him as First Officer? Too much trouble...

They'd run out of escape pods eventually...
Old May 26 2009, 10:32 PM   #14
MarkKalz
Fleet Captain

I get to be feeling that Kirk, no matter what universe this is, be it mirror or prime or the dozens seen in TNG's 'Parallels', Kirk can only ever be Captain. The original movie series as much as proved that by focusing a great deal of drama over just how inappropriate it is for Kirk to be behind a desk.

Nero did everything to disrupt the Kirk life, but in the end, Kirk must be captain.
Old May 26 2009, 10:54 PM   #15
Quo Vadimus
Vice Admiral

Peter the Younger wrote: View Post
Even if they hung a lantern on it, it would have made me feel better, like: "By special order of the Federation Council, you are hereby commissioned at the rank of Captain, and are ordered to report to Admiral Pike, as his relief." Basically just say, yeah, we know this is nuts, but this is a special case.
Teddy Roosevelt did something similar in 1905, advancing John J. Pershing four ranks from Captain to Brigadier General. And boy did it piss off those 835 officers he skipped! Not quite the same, I know, but there is a precedent for advancement under unusual conditions.