MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old July 31 2009, 10:51 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Unification, Part Two

Plot Summary: No sooner have Picard and Data met Spock on Romulus than the Vulcan demands that they leave at once. However, Picard declares that he has an obligation to the Federation without a full explanation, and moreover discharges his sad duty to inform Spock of his father's death. Spock, who says that Picard reminds him of Sarek, confesses that his secret purpose is to aid in the reunification of the Romulans with the Vulcans. Picard is highly doubtful that the new Proconsul will be as open to this idea as Spock hopes, and sends Data back to the Klingon ship to see if Data can access the Romulan communications network. The Klingons agree to help on the condition that they be allowed to monitor everything Data discovers. Meanwhile, Riker meets with the ex-wife of a smuggler killed when the Enterprise destroyed the unmarked ship at Qualor II; she directs him to the Ferengi arms trader responsible for the thefts at the supply depot, who admits that he delivered the ship to Galorndon Core near the Neutral Zone. Suspecting Romulan involvement, Riker warns Picard that the Romulans may be using stolen Vulcan ships. Spock meets with Proconsul Neral, who offers enthusiastic support for reunification, but after Spock leaves his office, Sela enters and reveals that Neral is using Spock. Though Spock and Picard are both suspicious, neither can prove Romulan duplicity until Data intercepts a message from the Romulans intended for the stolen ship at Galorndon Core. Sela arrives to arrest Picard, Data, and Spock, revealing that Pardek has been working with her all along and explaining that Neral does support reunification - but he believes, as she does, that it should occur via the military conquest of Vulcan. While a hologram of Spock is broadcast on all Federation channels, announcing a great peace initiative, the stolen Vulcan ships will breach Vulcan security and deliver not a peace envoy but a Romulan invasion force. Locked up in Sela's office, Data creates his own holograms, so that when Sela and her guards return, he tricks her into believing that Riker and an away team have beamed down on a rescue mission. Meanwhile, the real Riker has arrived at Galorndon Core with the Enterprise, which follows the stolen Vulcan ships. Spock sends a message warning Starfleet that those ships carry an invasion force. Before the Enterprise can intercede, a Romulan warbird decloaks and destroys the entire invasion fleet rather than allow Starfleet to take prisoners. Having escaped Sela, Picard and Data prepare to beam back to the Enterprise, but Spock refuses to join them - now that he knows there is a real underground movement toward reunification, he believes he must stay and teach them Vulcan logic. Before departing, Picard offers to mind-meld with Spock to share the wisdom and devotion that Sarek showed him.

To read the full reviews, please click here.

Old August 6 2009, 04:29 AM   #2
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Unification, Part Two

Its been awhile since I saw either of these episodes, but as I recall, Pardek isn't actually a traitor. The "bad" Romulans just sort of assume he has laid a trap for Spock and Spock plays into it so Pardek can escape prison/execution.
Old August 6 2009, 02:46 PM   #3
billcosby
Commodore

Michele Erika Greene is spot on - actually I would have been a bit harsher. The story for this one was brutally boring...as if they'd spent their budget hiring guest stars and didn't have any leftover for decent action/excitement?

Sigh. A wasted opportunity for sure. The Scotty crossover to TNG was far superior... heck even McCoy got a decent crossover and Picard and Kirk fighting Malcom McDowell sticks out in my mind, albeit the climax of a feature film and not a weekly episode.

Picard and Data eating soup and talking in caves does not equal excitement. The subplot with Riker looking for the Vulcan ships is far more enjoyable.

Last edited by billcosby; August 6 2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old August 6 2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Saxman1
Commodore

What stands out for me in this ep is nice use of Riker for a change and Nimoy doing the best he can with generic material. A disappointment, but not totally worthless. I still watch it whenever I'm doing my TNG cycle.