RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,411
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 493
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old July 31 2009, 03:50 PM   #1
KobayashiMaru13
Captain

View KobayashiMaru13's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to KobayashiMaru13
The Sound of Madness

THE SOUND OF MADNESS

He had always known it could happen to him, but not so soon. It was rare-extremely so, but certainly anything was possible. Somehow, some way, an extreme case of Bendii Syndrome had come upon him, so suddenly that it was tearing apart his sanity.

The red glow cast by the emergency back-up light-panels flared his anger. Sirens wailed and screamed, dragging him further into his madness. The rush of bodies as they scrambled about the bridge caused him to tremble with the urge to lash out at them as he was jostled about. The shouts of his crewmates and the frantic reports of life-support, engine, and power failures, and hull breaches seemed far away, as if at the end of a tunnel.

And he couldn’t seem to focus on his terminal.

His breath came out in ragged bursts, and every conscious and unconscious movement seemed so taxing and arduous. He was a Vulcan, for God’s sake! His crewmates looked at him as a pillar of strength and calm, cool reason. But, if they stopped to truly look at him, they wouldn’t recognize the trembling, sweating mass of raw nerve that sat hunched over the science terminal.

He so desperately wanted to go down to Deck 9 and fling himself out the hole that ate away at the Neverland’s hull and let the vacuum of space drag him where it pleased.

But, no. No! Now was not the time for such thoughts! They were illogical.

With all the strength he could muster, he steadied himself. The Klingon warbird that mercilessly spat fire on them would not wait for him to collect himself. His crewmates couldn’t wait for him to drag himself back from the brink of insanity. He had to do something.

And then everything clicked into place.

“Suroth,” someone shouted after him as the turbolift doors shut. But, he wasn’t about to go back. It he did, he would lose all the resolve he had scrapped together. A gibbering, hysterical Vulcan was not what they needed. “Hangar bay,” he said, his voice sounding scared and shaking with the madness that ached to get into his mind. It was the voice of a stranger.

He exited the turbolift, striding through the crowd of bodies that tidal waved past him. Suroth didn’t notice them though. He couldn’t hear their shouts. The only sound that reached his ears was an insistent ringing. The only thing he could see was the Neverland’s shuttles.

His heart pounded in his side.

Suroth fired up the engine of the shuttle. Nearby crew members hastily cleared the way. He couldn’t see what he was doing. But he knew.

He pressed the engines for all they had, and then some.

The last thing he saw was the Neverland shuddering with the strain of supporting herself. Then the shuttle collided with the blindsided warbird that frantically tried to fire on it, and they both blossomed into flowers of fire and debris, space pulling it every which way.

Space stood silent as the crew of the Neverland watched the remains drift.
KobayashiMaru13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Re: The Sound of Madness

Wow, short and nasty. For such a brief piece you got a lot across. But seriously, "Neverland" ?

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 11:09 PM   #3
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

What a ride. I liked it. Although you only spent so little time on it, it's very well written, short and to the point.
Old August 1 2009, 01:48 AM   #4
KobayashiMaru13
Captain

View KobayashiMaru13's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to KobayashiMaru13

Mistral wrote: View Post
Wow, short and nasty. For such a brief piece you got a lot across. But seriously, "Neverland" ?
yeah, lol i know. it was the first thing that came to mind.
KobayashiMaru13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2009, 01:58 AM   #5
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

A great short story. Brutal, succinct, and very descriptive. Well done.
Old August 1 2009, 03:21 PM   #6
trampledamage
Clone

Great description of Suroth's struggle with his emotions, you made it very real. The shortness of the story worked to make it more direct. Fifteen minutes well spent

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is online now   Reply With Quote