Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 5 2009, 06:05 PM   #61
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Re: DC Comics' Star Tek (1st Series)

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Has anyone actually seen this yet? I want to know what's in it, and IDW never seems to think that's worth including in solicits.
Yes, but if you're an omnibus completist, then you have it all from the DC and the Titan reprint omnibuses.

Contains Series II's #7-12, with the three-part Sweeney arc and the three-part Kirk's trial arc, at which point the first new batch of original characters (M'yra, Fouton, Li, Blaise) make their final departures.
Would it kill IDW to release an Archive that wasn't done by Titan already? And I feel like something marketed as a "Best of" should have a smattering of different stories about a topic... not one six-part storyline that focuses on the title character.
Old August 5 2009, 09:20 PM   #62
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

I think my favorite issue of this run was Diane Duane's McCoy story from issue 29 or so. IIRC, Gray Morrow did the art. It was a sort of day-in-the-life story, but tied into the whole katra issue between Spock and McCoy as well.
Old August 5 2009, 09:22 PM   #63
Christopher
Writer

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
They also seemed unable to draw Kirk from TOS whenever they did a flashback or a story in that era. It was always old, curly haired Kirk. The issue with "Uhura's Story" was a legendary issue for art bloopers.
Well, to be fair, that issue wasn't by the regular art team, but by Carmine Infantino, who had never drawn a Trek comic before. And though Infantino is a comics legend, I don't think likenesses of TV/movie characters are a strength of his.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 12:42 AM   #64
Jbarney
Commander

I have really enjoyed this discussion and it saddens me that my 1st Run of DC is in storage right now. Not good.

Just going by what I remember, but I recall reading the story where they must return to the planet from "The Apple" and Kirk realizes the decisions he made in his early 30s were not perhaps the best. One of the issues ends with Spock effectively telling Kirk he must live with the choices he made all those years ago. I enjoyed it very much.
Old August 6 2009, 03:46 AM   #65
Elder Knight
Captain

Steve67 wrote: View Post
Elder Knight wrote: View Post
DC was also doing the comic book adaptations of TSFS and TVH as the films came out, so their writers had to construct their two-year storylines such that they could put everything back in place in time for the next official installment in the saga. Under those circumstances, they turned out some good stuff.
It's interesting to note that they took two months between issues #7-8 (The origin of Saavik story) to work on their adaptation for TSFS. And #7 was a cliffhanger!

I also noticed in issue #7 (August cover date, which means an actual April or May release date) that Kirk and co. go to Vulcan to see sarek about Saavik's Pon Far, and Sarek says to Kirk, "I must discuss my son with you." Kirk says, "later ambassador!" and beams off to pursue Saavik! Sarek's wife Amanda is sick in bed and cries out about Spock's Katra. These events are quite close to TSFS and I'm surprised that DC was allowed to reveal such things so close to the film's release. Still, it was great to have the films referenced so much and upon seeing the movie, the clarity of the references revealing themselves. DC really straddled the line of continuity and their own adventures quite well, considering the obstacles involved.
I loved that "Origin of ... " title. That's strictly a comic book convention, mainly for super heroes. You never hear about an "origin" in TV or movies.
Elder Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2009, 12:09 PM   #66
Steve67
Commander

It's interesting to note that they took two months between issues #7-8 (The origin of Saavik story) to work on their adaptation for TSFS. And #7 was a cliffhanger!
Well, when the comics were originally released, the adaptation of ST III happened to come out between #7 and 8, but I certainly don't file them that way, since the end of #8 leads directly into ST III.

Sarek's wife Amanda is sick in bed and cries out about Spock's Katra.
They were explaining why Amanda misses out on the Fal Tor Pan ceremony of ST III. The ST III and ST IV novelizations show Amanda missing the ceremony for other reasons.

These events are quite close to TSFS and I'm surprised that DC was allowed to reveal such things so close to the film's release.
Did you see the cover of "Starlog"'s official ST III movie mag? Spock, played by Nimoy, is in his white robes on the cover. And, of course, infamously the trailer showed "... the last voyage of the starship Enterprise", with the ship ablaze and falling towards Genesis.

Possible Spoilers for issue 8:

I read #8 last night and it was a nice finish to the story. I like most any use of the Romulans and the fact that Saavik's promised one, Xon, was on an espionage mission for the Federation was interesting. I just wish they'd follwed up more on what exactly the Romulan experiment was. I also enjoyed those Romulan soldier uniforms. In fact, this Saavik origin tale was much better than I remember it being. Clever how they have David and Saavik beam away for their ill-fated Grissom assignment at this story's end, and the blurb at the bottom of the page: "Now go and read our adaptation of STIII..."

Can't wait for Spock and the Mirror Universe Saga in issue #9. It's interesting that Spock's presence is felt so heavily in these first eight issues, yet his absence is also keenly felt, too.
Old August 7 2009, 07:19 AM   #67
drychlick
Captain

i love the comic when i was a teenager! good times love dr
drychlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 12:24 PM   #68
Steve67
Commander

Did anyone else order the Star Trek Archives Vol. 6 that reprints the "Mirror Universe" saga?
Old October 15 2009, 12:38 PM   #69
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Did anyone else order the Star Trek Archives Vol. 6 that reprints the "Mirror Universe" saga?
I have it here! Mirror Spock is on the cover and the volume is called "Best of Alternate Universes".
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2009, 01:16 PM   #70
Steve Roby
Commodore

Nope, I can't afford to be that much of a completist right now. I already have three copies of that story: in the original comics, the 1991 trade paperback reprint, and the DVD ROM that came out last year. Don't really need a fourth copy that doesn't add anything new.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 02:00 PM   #71
Steve67
Commander

I have it here! Mirror Spock is on the cover and the volume is called "Best of Alternate Universes".
Is it complete? I have the original DC comics, but would like to have a one-volume copy for easy access. How did they do with the new coloring?
Old October 19 2009, 02:37 PM   #72
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Is it complete? I have the original DC comics, but would like to have a one-volume copy for easy access. How did they do with the new coloring?
Why wouldn't it be complete?

Like when DC Comics collected the storyline (in 1991), it begins with Spock recovering from Fal Tor Pan and the saga ends with Spock taking up the captaincy of the USS Surak.

IDW (2009) uses a different colouring method, which seems to involve a computerized blurring of the "tiny dots" (original grey-screened overlays) in the individual comics. Some panels work better than other. No introduction, either.

IIRC, when DC compiled their own omnibus of the same arc, they recoloured, too, but differently. Some people would recommend checking to see if you can find the DC omnibus instead, and it has a text introduction by A.C. Crispin.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2009, 02:48 PM   #73
Steve67
Commander

[
Why wouldn't it be complete?
I guess because IDW omitted the back-up G.I. Joe story "Hot Potato" from their collected edition of that title, which was part of issue #1. Also, collecting classic TV dvds as I do, I learn to be wary of edited, syndicated prints of shows that have no reason NOT to be complete.

Thanks for the in-depth reply.
Old October 20 2009, 08:28 PM   #74
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

I've always liked the MUS myself, and would actually prefer a live action version to TVH. Is there any connection between the "containment" system used by the Excalbians in their arc and a similar system and war described in the novel Spock Must Die!?

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2010, 03:11 AM   #75
Steve67
Commander

I have the original DC comics, but would like to have a one-volume copy for easy access. How did they do with the new coloring?
IDW (2009) uses a different colouring method, which seems to involve a computerized blurring of the "tiny dots" (original grey-screened overlays) in the individual comics. Some panels work better than other. No introduction, either.
Today I saw a copy of the Alternate Universes reprints of the DC Mirror Universe Saga and was disappointed in the coloring process you describe. The original comics are just fine, as DC was upgrading their paper and color stock around 1984. For those who already own the original comics, I'd say save your money. The reprints of the Marvel Trek looked even worse. In addition to the lack of introduction, there wasn't a cover gallery, either.