RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Posts: 5,429,368
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 441
Newest member: Werner Bitterli


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 28 2009, 09:49 PM   #1
NIUPonyBoy
Captain
 
NIUPonyBoy's Avatar
 
Location: IL
Send a message via AIM to NIUPonyBoy Send a message via Yahoo to NIUPonyBoy
BoP Bridge...

So did Admiral Kirk and his renegade crew refit the bridge of their stolen BoP in their three month lay over on Vulcan or what?

The Bridge set from Kruge's BoP in SFS and Kirk's in TVH is very noticeable. In fact in STIV it is almost Federation-like in set-up with Klingon knobs and screens etc. compared to the previous.

What is the reasoning behind it via cannon or is it just kind of ignored?
NIUPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: BoP Bridge...

I imagine the Vulcans helped.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 09:58 PM   #3
NIUPonyBoy
Captain
 
NIUPonyBoy's Avatar
 
Location: IL
Send a message via AIM to NIUPonyBoy Send a message via Yahoo to NIUPonyBoy
Re: BoP Bridge...

Clearly, as you see all the Vulcan tech's with their Smurf headgear running about the BoP in the opening on Vulcan. lol
NIUPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 10:22 PM   #4
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: BoP Bridge...

NIUPonyBoy wrote: View Post
in STIV it is almost Federation-like in set-up with Klingon knobs and screens etc. compared to the previous.

What is the reasoning behind it via cannon or is it just kind of ignored?
"Canon".

If you didn't hear someone make a comment in the film, how can we possibly give you more "canon" information than you've already found?

It was suggested by the scenes that an overhaul had been undertaken. Scotty had even "replaced the Klingon food packs", and the Klingon database was now supplemented with info on Earth whales (luckily), or had been switched for Starfleet or Vulcan computers.

If you look carefully at the various consoles, someone has even attached little tags that translate all the Klingon symbols for the knobs and sliders.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2009, 10:28 PM   #5
NIUPonyBoy
Captain
 
NIUPonyBoy's Avatar
 
Location: IL
Send a message via AIM to NIUPonyBoy Send a message via Yahoo to NIUPonyBoy
Re: BoP Bridge...

Canon, Cannon. I'm used to the ones that go "boom." lol

As far as the 'history' behind things I've learned more about the 'history of the future' on this site that I really knew was out there. lol I didn't know if their was tech manual or book out there that covered that topic.
NIUPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: BoP Bridge...

It makes no sense for anybody non-Klingon to do such a drastic refit on the bridge and not replace the Klingon knobs with English or Vulcan ones in the process! No, the ST4 consoles and pulpits and whatnot had to preexist somehow.

So, the obvious explanation is that Kruge had two bridges. One for flying the ship, as seen in ST4, and another for doing some other stuff; several possibilities exist. Remember that Kruge seemed to be some sort of a spymaster operating deep within UFP space if necessary. He could have set up a special command center for his spy ops. Or the ST3 "bridge" could have been the main gunnery station. Or, since an important feature of the BoP (indeed, apparently a driving factor in its strange, prominently winged design) is its ability to land on planets, perhaps BoPs have a special command center for coordinating surface combat operations?

It's not all that unusual for small vessels to have multiple command locations. Contrary to conventional wisdom, the creation of a do-it-all nerve center is something more easily done when one has enough room, say, the room afforded by a medium-sized vessel. Thus, a small torpedo boat may need to divide its command functions so that the engines are commanded from the engine room, a separate gunnery control room exists for aiming the secondary weapons, another for the primary torpedoes, a belowdecks helm station handles the steering, and a separate bridge topside caters for sighting. A larger frigate may coordinate most of those things from a belowdecks room, leaving only the sighting function to the separate topside structure.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2009, 10:04 PM   #7
Shatmandu
Vice Admiral
 
Shatmandu's Avatar
 
Re: BoP Bridge...

NIUPonyBoy wrote: View Post
So did Admiral Kirk and his renegade crew refit the bridge of their stolen BoP in their three month lay over on Vulcan or what?

The Bridge set from Kruge's BoP in SFS and Kirk's in TVH is very noticeable. In fact in STIV it is almost Federation-like in set-up with Klingon knobs and screens etc. compared to the previous.

What is the reasoning behind it via cannon or is it just kind of ignored?
In an early script for ST IV, Kirk mentions that Scotty had nothing better to do, since "Vulcans don't have titty bars."

Joe, noted Trek historian
Shatmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2009, 02:00 AM   #8
NIUPonyBoy
Captain
 
NIUPonyBoy's Avatar
 
Location: IL
Send a message via AIM to NIUPonyBoy Send a message via Yahoo to NIUPonyBoy
Re: BoP Bridge...

Timo wrote: View Post
It makes no sense for anybody non-Klingon to do such a drastic refit on the bridge and not replace the Klingon knobs with English or Vulcan ones in the process! No, the ST4 consoles and pulpits and whatnot had to preexist somehow.

So, the obvious explanation is that Kruge had two bridges. One for flying the ship, as seen in ST4, and another for doing some other stuff; several possibilities exist. Remember that Kruge seemed to be some sort of a spymaster operating deep within UFP space if necessary. He could have set up a special command center for his spy ops. Or the ST3 "bridge" could have been the main gunnery station. Or, since an important feature of the BoP (indeed, apparently a driving factor in its strange, prominently winged design) is its ability to land on planets, perhaps BoPs have a special command center for coordinating surface combat operations?

It's not all that unusual for small vessels to have multiple command locations. Contrary to conventional wisdom, the creation of a do-it-all nerve center is something more easily done when one has enough room, say, the room afforded by a medium-sized vessel. Thus, a small torpedo boat may need to divide its command functions so that the engines are commanded from the engine room, a separate gunnery control room exists for aiming the secondary weapons, another for the primary torpedoes, a belowdecks helm station handles the steering, and a separate bridge topside caters for sighting. A larger frigate may coordinate most of those things from a belowdecks room, leaving only the sighting function to the separate topside structure.

Timo Saloniemi
I would accept that as plausible. Lol
NIUPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2009, 02:02 AM   #9
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: BoP Bridge...

Shatmandu wrote: View Post
In an early script for ST IV, Kirk mentions that Scotty had nothing better to do, since "Vulcans don't have titty bars."
"Don't tell me you don't have titty bars in the 23rd Century."

"Well, we don't."
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2009, 02:04 AM   #10
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain
 
RyuRoots's Avatar
 
Location: Ul'Dah
View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots
Re: BoP Bridge...

I never gave it any thought. I never thought it was any stranger than the refit Constitution class Enterprise having a different-looking bridge in all 6 movies (or the Ent-E's bridge looking different in all of the last 3, or the Generations bridge looking different from the TNG TV show). It's kind of a movie thing, it seems like.
__________________
Star Trek: 1987-Present
RyuRoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2009, 04:28 PM   #11
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral
 
Yeoman Randi's Avatar
 
Location: In a handbasket
Re: BoP Bridge...

Shatmandu wrote: View Post
NIUPonyBoy wrote: View Post
So did Admiral Kirk and his renegade crew refit the bridge of their stolen BoP in their three month lay over on Vulcan or what?

The Bridge set from Kruge's BoP in SFS and Kirk's in TVH is very noticeable. In fact in STIV it is almost Federation-like in set-up with Klingon knobs and screens etc. compared to the previous.

What is the reasoning behind it via cannon or is it just kind of ignored?
In an early script for ST IV, Kirk mentions that Scotty had nothing better to do, since "Vulcans don't have titty bars."

Joe, noted Trek historian


Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2009, 10:27 PM   #12
Jon1701
Rear Admiral
 
Jon1701's Avatar
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: BoP Bridge...

RyuRoots wrote: View Post
I never gave it any thought. I never thought it was any stranger than the refit Constitution class Enterprise having a different-looking bridge in all 6 movies (or the Ent-E's bridge looking different in all of the last 3, or the Generations bridge looking different from the TNG TV show). It's kind of a movie thing, it seems like.
Thats an interesting point. The only time when the bridges are nearly the same is betweem II and III.

Even then the displays are different, the lighting is different and there are large scorches on the turbolift doors that weren't there at the end of III
__________________
www.moviebreadbin.com
Movie reviews sponsored by that toupee that Patrick Stewart had sent over from London that time.
Jon1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 12:10 AM   #13
NIUPonyBoy
Captain
 
NIUPonyBoy's Avatar
 
Location: IL
Send a message via AIM to NIUPonyBoy Send a message via Yahoo to NIUPonyBoy
Re: BoP Bridge...

There were new bruises all over the ship at the Start of III you didn't see at the end of II. lol

Did Kirk and his now guiled crew pick some fights on their limp back to starbase? lol
NIUPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 05:25 AM   #14
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: BoP Bridge...

NIUPonyBoy wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post
It makes no sense for anybody non-Klingon to do such a drastic refit on the bridge and not replace the Klingon knobs with English or Vulcan ones in the process! No, the ST4 consoles and pulpits and whatnot had to preexist somehow.

So, the obvious explanation is that Kruge had two bridges. One for flying the ship, as seen in ST4, and another for doing some other stuff; several possibilities exist. Remember that Kruge seemed to be some sort of a spymaster operating deep within UFP space if necessary. He could have set up a special command center for his spy ops. Or the ST3 "bridge" could have been the main gunnery station. Or, since an important feature of the BoP (indeed, apparently a driving factor in its strange, prominently winged design) is its ability to land on planets, perhaps BoPs have a special command center for coordinating surface combat operations?

It's not all that unusual for small vessels to have multiple command locations. Contrary to conventional wisdom, the creation of a do-it-all nerve center is something more easily done when one has enough room, say, the room afforded by a medium-sized vessel. Thus, a small torpedo boat may need to divide its command functions so that the engines are commanded from the engine room, a separate gunnery control room exists for aiming the secondary weapons, another for the primary torpedoes, a belowdecks helm station handles the steering, and a separate bridge topside caters for sighting. A larger frigate may coordinate most of those things from a belowdecks room, leaving only the sighting function to the separate topside structure.

Timo Saloniemi
I would accept that as plausible.
As do I.

Also, there's the fact that the ST IV bridge had a direct hatch to the outside. The one in ST III does not. So that makes it even more likely that they aren't the same bridge. The ST III bridge was probably some kind of auxiliary control or 'battle bridge'.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2009, 01:09 PM   #15
Green Shirt
Commodore
 
Green Shirt's Avatar
 
Location: 21133
Re: BoP Bridge...

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Shatmandu wrote: View Post
In an early script for ST IV, Kirk mentions that Scotty had nothing better to do, since "Vulcans don't have titty bars."
"Don't tell me you don't have titty bars in the 23rd Century."

"Well, we don't."
As long as there are sandwiches in the future, I can survive (barely)without titty bars.
__________________
Its not easy being green.
Green Shirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.