TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 5 2009, 08:03 AM   #1
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

New/Different Music You've Discovered

I've been into the symphonic metal genre for a while now. After Forever, Epica, Kamelot, Nightwish as well as some other Euro groups like Dragonforce (power metal), Elvenking (folk metal), Lacuna Coil, Sonata Arctica. (Kamelot is the only non-European group here, but they're more popular there now).

I had previously downloaded/saved the music videos for some of the Kamelot songs from YouTube, HD ones that were put there by www.icodeteam.com. These would seem to be the "official" video releases by/for the record label SPV.

So, I'm looking at the other vids they have posted there, and found 2 other groups that are pretty frickin' awesome.

Moonspell, from Portugal. Most of their stuff is death/black metal, which isn't normally my thing, but Scorpion Flower is in a different vein for them and more like what I've been into the last couple years. The video, like the Kamelot ones, is very lush and well produced.

Engel, a newer group from Sweden, is like a much harder, heavier version of some of the other "modern" groups that you hear a lot on the radio. Videos for Casket Closing & Next Closed Door.

The other videos from them can be found to the right under the "More From: iCODETEAM" section. Make sure you hit the "HD" button for any of these.

Definitely buying the Engel CD, and at least a couple of the Moonspell ones too.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 02:56 PM   #2
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Re: New/Different Music You've Discovered

If you like Nightwish you could check out Within Temptation and Lunatica which are also similar.
Old August 5 2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

I love both Nightwish and Within Temptation, both of which discovered in my Recommended Videos section (finally, it did something beneficial!), but recently (read this: two days ago) I've been listening to nothing but Eiffel 65.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Pingfah
Admiral

I have been listening a lot recently to a band called Battles and their album Mirrored. They are an experimental rock band formed in NYC, and they feature the drummer from Helmet, John Stanier.

The album is a real mix of crazy stuff, strong dance elements almost resembling techno at times, jazz, metal and just plain weird, all played live of course, it can sound extremely dischordant and unpleasant at first but what turn out to be really great tunes emerge the more you listen to it.

The tracks below are called Atlas and Tonto respectively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpGp-22t0lU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLAN...eature=related
Old August 5 2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I heard this for the first time today.

Very uncharacteristic, I thought but then he wrote it during a terrible year.
Old August 5 2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Let the Good Times Roll!!

About a year ago I discovered Porcupine Tree.

Now I'm like a crack addict. I cannot hork it down fast enough.

Here's a sample: Blackest Eyes (Live)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GbsF4oh0fM
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2009, 10:46 PM   #7
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post
About a year ago I discovered Porcupine Tree.
Now I'm like a crack addict. I cannot hork it down fast enough.
Here's a sample: Blackest Eyes (Live)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GbsF4oh0fM
That's pretty good. The sound reminds me of something from the early 90's (maybe), but I can't place it.

Within Temptation is something I've been planning to collect, I've always seen them compared to Nightwish. From what I've heard so far, they seem to have a little more of a folk influence than Nightwish, but nothing wrong with that.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote