X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Should we trust all statements claiming to come from persons in this thread, because basically we're all critics and reviewers in here.

2. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I already asked that question in post 888.:)

3. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was a article posted in this thread I believe, in which the producers/creator behind X-Men: First Class made a similar claim as to why X3 still made money. I trust their claim based on the fact they have the polls and feed back to support it.
    I'll bet if you go into the Voyager forum you'll find lots of folks that continued to watch the show even though they didn't like much of it but continued because they're loyal to Trek.

4. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw the commercial you're talking about. Individual critics aren't named, and on rotten tomatoes I can't find any critic saying what the commercial claims (your word as well) is saying.

It's one thing to say "Critics are saying this." It's another to point them and their words out with easy proof. For example, First Class.

Strange that one would use Transformers as an example to discredit the critics when, when you actually look at what the critics say, they're saying the opposite of the commercial.

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

exodus is confusing marketing with critical reviews. For every bad movie, you'll find at least one critic that likes it and might make an over-the-top claim. Film marketers will grab whatever that one critic says and plaster it all over their commercials and DVD boxes. For example, have you ever noticed that every Bond (or, at one time, Star Trek) movie that comes out is the "best one yet!"?

When you look at sites that compile reviews for films, such as Rotten Tomatoes, you'll get a more even handed look at how the film did, critically, overall. First Class has ranked high there. Transformers has ranked low.

Then again, exodus is seemingly ignoring comments regarding RT and its ilk. Probably because it destroys his argument.

What was their claim? Link, please, because I'm not wading through 62 pages.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Just re-watched this movie on BD.

Can't express enough how good it is at pulling a "soft reboot" of the X-Men movie franchise, of sorts. All of the elements work, the characters are greatly portrayed and the atmosphere of the movie is wonderful.

As I said up thread the only "complaints" I'd have about it is that the time-line seems to be truncated a bit (Eric and Charles become greatest friends, work together, Charles gets crippled and the two have their falling out way too quickly) and I don't think the secondary mutants like Banshee and Darwin and Angel are really interesting enough.

Wow, Banshee can scream and somehow use that combined with a wingsuit to... fly. I guess.

But, overall, I think it's great and would easily rank it over all of the other X-Men movies.

Michael Fassbender does a great job as Erik/Magneto and I'd love to see him as James Bond.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  7. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I think Xavier getting crippled and Magneto becoming completely "evil" are things that could easily have been saved for the sequel. There is no reason why we had to have everything set up for the first X-Men movie... 40 years later!
    That's from the comics as well. I don't think it was implemented all that well.

Didn't help that the effects looked pretty ridiculous! Seriously. I don't mean to harp on a film's effects, but some of the shots in this film were of SyFy movie of the week quality!

8. Trekker4747

Yeah, I know it's from the comic but I don't think the movie sold the idea well at all and, really, I think he's just not an interesting character ("Darwin" was more interesting.)

9. Broccoli

Darwin, or as I call him, "I exist in this movie only because the bad guy kills me." :lol:

10. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

You knew the black guy was gonna die first! :lol:

I thought the way he was killed made little to no sense. So he is pretty much invulnerable to any and all attacks because his body instantly adapts a defense... unless you put a bomb in his mouth? Huh?

11. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That IS the point of the strong/unbeatable hero on a team. Get the villain to kick their butts to show how much stronger they are. In this case, kill the unkillable.

Like what they did to Worf in most episodes of TNG. :lol:

(Besides, the same thing happened to him in the comics, and he came back from it. If they don't make a sequel, we can just imagine in a year or so he was able to pull himself back together.)

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's X-Men meets Austin Powers.

Possible additional mutant involvement in the Vietnam War.:cool:

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Mad Men is one of the best shows on television. While I could understand your not liking it, seems kind of dumb to just pass on this movie (which has next to nothing to do with Mad Men beyond sharing a leading actress) on that factor alone.

Not quite sure how you figure that, but what the hell, I'll bite. How so?

15. Trekker4747

It was more like X-Men meets James Bond to me, but...

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

X-Men meets James Bond meets Austin Powers?

"Heterochromia is in reference to your eyes, which I have to say are stunning. One green, one blue. It's a mutation. It's a very groovy mutation."

17. Trekker4747

Yeah, I'm not seeing the In Like Flynt, Bondian-spoof stuff from the movie just because it happened to take place in the 60s and contained some lingo from the time. I mean, Austin Powers was an over the top, parody of a genre of films using broad caricatures of 60s spy movie archetypes.

Don't see that at all in this movie but to each his own, I suppose.

18. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Simon Kinberg, who co-wrote X-Men: The Last Stand and was one of the producers on X-Men: First Class, has been hired to pen the script for the First Class sequel. You can read more here.

While I'm not the biggest fan of Kinberg, I am glad that movement has been made on the sequel. I'm also not tremendously worried since if Matthew Vaughn does come back then most likely he and Jane Goldman will probably end up re-writing the script (as they did on the first movie).

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah given the process that resulted in WGA's credit ruling perhaps Kinberg will not end up with any credit. He's the Jamie Moss of First Class 2!

20. Broccoli

[insert "ignore The Last Stand" joke here]