Kes V Seven of Nine

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Clym, Jan 16, 2009.

?

Kes V Seven of Nine

1. Kes

20.9%
  2. 7 of 9

58.3%
  3. I liked them both equally

19.1%
  4. I disliked them both equally

1.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

If they had so much time, then they did a very bad job by coming up with such a thin and unconvincing story.

If we watch the season 3 episodes including "Scorpion1" and then "Scorpion2" and "The Gift" we can see that there are some good episodes with Kes as a main character with much importance, such as "The Swarm", "Warlord", "Darkling", "Before And After" and "Scorpion1" where Kes gets a lot of action. Not to mention that "Year Of Hell" was originally supposed to be the cliffhanger between seasons 3 and 4 and also a follow-up to "Before And After". Clear indications that Kes was becoming an important character. On the other hand, we can see Harry being more and more shoved aside with only one episode where he had a prominent role, "Favorite Son".

In "Scorpion 1", Harry is close to death and it was easy to assume that he would be killed off during "Scorpion2". But suddenly Harry recovers in a miraculous way and then we have the patchwork story in "The Gift" and all of a sudden, Kes is gone instead.

So whatever the writers were doing during the auditions for who would become Seven, it don't look like that they were planning a goodbye story for Kes, more that they were planning Harry's exit, if they were planning anything at all.

2. Lynx

I strongly disagree here. I think both Kes and Neelix did contribute a lot to the show. Calling Kes "a doomed character" is wrong and seem like an after-construction. There were many directions in which they could have taken the character and it would have worked fine due to the characters fine qualities.

As for doomed characters, I must state that what Tuvok, Torres, Paris, Kim, Neelix and Chakotay became in the later seasons more personifies the word "doomed".

Exodus wrote:
    Kes and Neelix actually broke up in season 3 so the "jealousy and stubborn streak" obviously ended without Kes having to leave. Besides that, I don't think that Neelix changed anything in the later seasons. he was still the same Neelix.

But if someone dislikes a character, it's always easy to blame that character for everything, even the weather.

And I think it was silly to dump Kes and Neelix. They should have been among the crew when Voyager returned to Earth. Kes was as eager to go to Earth as the rest of them and Neelix promised many times that he would never abandon Janeway. For some reasons, the writer did seem to "forget" that. But of course, they did have short memory.

3. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's just your opinion, several fans of the show find "The Gift" a great episode.

If you're opinion is that it's thin & unconvincing then I assume you prefer they killed her off instead, that would be the only other option of removing the character from the series. Prehaps if they had, there would be no debate at all. You should learn to look on the brightside and be thankful she isn't dead like Jadzia Dax or Tasha Yar.

Me personally, I don't see Kes' role in "Warlord", "Darkling" or "B&A" all that important, especilly considering they erased the entire "B&A" timeline, they replaced Kes with Tuvok when it came to communicating with Species 8472 and Paris took her job as p/t nurse. "Warlord" & "Darkling" didn't affect anybody beyond those eps. I just tells me what ever Kes brought to Voyager was easily replaceable and she had no lasting affects in the long run..

Janeway was also close to death too in "Scorpion" and had miraculous recovery, as did many patients the Doc. treated over the shows seven year run. Nothing that happened during Kes' departure is unconvincing that hasn't been done before within the show or some other Trek series.

The writers didn't "forget" anything. Neelix left for good reason. Anybody in a relationship could tell you Neelix "friends" on Voyager don't compare with having a wife and child. You're spouse is supposed to be the greatest friend you ever have. Not one single person on Voyager could give Neelix the intimate love he longed for. Neelix didn't want to go to Earth, what he repeatedly stated for seven years was to have a family again. Neither one abandoned Janeway, she gave them both her blessing to leave and have a life of their own.

4. Lynx

What they did in "Fury" was worse than killing off the character.

And no, they shouldn't have "removed" her at all.

As for Neelix's leaving, it was unnecessary. That episode didn't serve any purpose. Besides that, finding a Talaxian colony so far from Talaxian space was ridiculous.

5. exodus

"Homestead" serves as a conclusion to everything we're learned about Neelix after 7 years.
    Maybe when you find someone worth marring you'll understand.

Finding Talaxians on the other side of their own quaderant is no more ridiculous than finding people from China living in New York City. History books are full of people from far away lands traveling an colonizing places half a world away.

As far a removing her, I trust the producers.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  6. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

Maybe that is the reason that a new character of star trek is under the age of 40. True, Picard is a break in that rule.

Would not be that interesting to deal with a character that is 80 in human years and deal with a 7 year series. True, with other species we can give them many years of experience but make sure they live to be 200 years helps with age and experience.

7. Lynx

Finding Talaxians on a tiny asteroid so far from Talaxian space is as believable as if I should jump off a plane in a parachute over Antarctica and run into a relative of mine within 5 minutes after landing.

I can see that since you have expressed your dislike for the character and the actress several times. I, on the other hand, likes the character and think that she was dumped and destroyed for no acceptable reason.

8. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

What ever happened to Kes after she left Voyager?

Just me, but I see more information of Jeri Ryan going to Star Trek convestions then Jennifer (aka Kes). Hope that Kes is not working at Hooters.

9. Lynx

If you mean the actress Jennifer Lien, she's married and have a son.

She has also have some appearances at some conventions this year.

10. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

That is nice. Glad she get an invite to a convention.

Side note: Anyone have a picture of Jennifer Lien and Nicole DeBoer at a convention?

11. exodus

I have expressed no dislike of either the character or the actress, only that I feel Ryan was better. Please keep your personal judgements of what you believe I think out of this, thank you. I have stated my support of the producers in several topics, in several forums on this site on the show as a whole. Kes is one of many choices they made that I happen to support. Just keep in mind I don't link your dislike of the producers decisions as a personal hate of the people themselves.

If your relative was an explorer, it's possable. However, you can't parachute into Antartica anyway due to climate conditions. I've travelled from the US East coast to the West coast and run into people from NJ., so it's not a hard concept for me to grasp that people travel outside their relm of origin. If they didn't we wouldn't have such things as Asian West Indians or White South Africans. Besides, they weren't even related to Neelix, only of the same "race". However, the Talaxain issue is no more absurd than half the fiction we've accept in Star Trek since day one. Klingons in the Delta Q. in an out of date ship?
    Scotty in the transporter buffer for decades?
    Kirk alive and well inside "the Ribbon"?

Many aspects and concepts within Trek are more fiction than fact, so if you find the issues of Kes & Neelix hard to believe, it's because the entire Trek universe is fiction.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  12. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Why does every Kes thread go 100 pages long? :guffaw:

13. Lynx

Well, you have actually written some not so nice things about the character and the actress on another forum so I assumed that you don't like neither the character nor the actress.

As for the Antarctica comment, OK it's impossible to parachute into Antarctica but the chances that I would run into a relative there are still incredible small. The same for running into a bunch of Talaxians on a tiny asteroid so far from Talaxian space.

And yes, there have been such events in Trek before. Too many, I think.

14. Lynx

Maybe because some people (me among them) like to rant about the character. ;)

15. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I liked them both but on the whole Seve was more interesting. Kes was annoyingly wimpy. But I have been banned on two message boards and told they hope I get banned on a third. ROFL

Someone behaving like Seven in the real world could get annoying but on a TV show with her character explained it was mostly just amusing.

psik

16. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

Would love to think of the meeting of Kes and Seven when both women are in leather doing. Hold it now it is just a fantasy. Never mind.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's your fantasy?

Dressed in nothing but strategically placed dollups of ice cream, they're having a pillow fight while singing the theme to Xanadu.

18. exodus

That is why you should never assume.;)

19. Josh_Lyman

Josh_Lyman Commander Red Shirt

Seven is a better character than Kes and Jeri Ryan blows Jennifer Lien away in acting ability. Also, Lien is super obese now.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The bigger the cushion, the better the pushing.

I want to feed Jeri cheese burgers till she becomes a more performance orientated girth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.