"The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 10, 2012.

?

How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?

1. Excellent

147 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Good

61 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Fair

26 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Poor

12 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Terrible

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

It'll have been 35+ years since the last Superman origin film.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

But not that long since the last Superman origin TV show.

3. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

others have already pointed this out, but your criticism is pretty much the opposite from the view at the time. Michael Keaton himself said that Burton's films didn't care about Batman, that they were much more about the villains as the center focus. If you look at actual onscreen time for Batman in both Burton films it's not very high. Nolan's trilogy, in contrast, consciously put Bruce Wayne in the center of them.

Not to say that you're wrong of course, since it's basically one's point of view, but that is a very different take from the mainstream consensus on it.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't get this "Batman wasn't in this film enough" argument. Bruce Wayne is Batman. These films were all about Bruce Wayne and Batman. Do you mean action scenes? Scenes with gadgets? More scenes with Wayne in the suit? Did you want more car chases with the Tumbler or the Batpod? What does it mean "I want more Batman"?

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's like when people say there isn't enough Darth Sidious in TCW.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

While Smallville might have been discussed a lot on the BBS and the like, really, it had quite low viewing numbers when compared with the numbers who would have seen, e.g. The Dark Knight Rises or The Avengers. Most of the audience for Man of Steel will not have seen it.

I do take your point that pretty much everyone who will see MOS probably knows Superman's origins. But if we can have a new origin movie for Spider-man a mere decade after the last one, well, a 35 year gap between Superman origin stories, telling it with improved technology, a new team, a new tone etc, hardly seems inappropriate.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Seriously TASM added nothing of consequence to the origin story. Half the movie was wasted on this.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

They'll do what Sony did. Pull some BS excuse for a reboot

"The untold story of how Bruce became Batman"

I do feel that none of the movies have fleshed out Martha Wayne

Even during Superman Returns interviews Bryan said that everyone knows the origin

http://movies.about.com/od/superman/a/superbs061906.htm

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Well, the obvious riposte to that point is that SR didn't exactly set the world on fire (even if I personally like it)

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't dispute that Batman and Batman Returns gave equal, maybe more for Returns cause of 2 foes, screen time to the villains but we got a lot more BATMAN.
    I'm talking about wanting more Batman, you're talking about Bruce. Who as characters do different things even if they are two side of the same coin.

I like that Nolan gave us big screen versions of characters from the rouges gallery never before seen such as Mr.Zsasz, Falcone, Ra's and Talia not to mention Scarecrow. If Ledgers Joker was in the '89 film it would hands down unbeatable imo. So kudos to what Nolan did with the villains. Which is why I'd love to have seen a further fleshing out of the crime noir by seeing Black Mask or Killer Croc worked into the narrative. Both are due a turn on the big screen at some point in some variation.

I just hope their, Warners, reboot makes more sense than the Sony one for Spider-man. It'll have to.

11. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I work in a museum where I regularly use a Superman analogy to discuss the iconography of Greek gods and goddesses in ancient works of art. To explain how, say, Athena, is easily recognizable to an ancient Greek seeing her image on a vase painting, or statue because of her war helmet, shield, spear and Medusa's head on her breastplate, I ask people, "If you walked into a room and saw a large staute of a muscular man in blue tights, red boots and red cape and a big S on his chest - who is that?" Always, at least 3/4 of the crowd says Superman. (I have done this with literally thousands of people.) I then say - now, you not only know his name but you probably know what he can do - fly, leap tall buildings, faster than a speeding bullet. Again, about 3/4 of the crowd will nod. Then I say, you may even know some of his story - where he's from, what his day job is, who his girlfriend is.* Maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of people tend to respond to this.

My point is - I don't think everyone does know Superman's origin. I think almost everyone can recognize Superman, and has some notion of him - but a lot of people's notions are pretty vague.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

My mother thought SMALLVILLE was a show about little people, but then again I'm not sure she's the target audience for any new superhero movies! :)

13. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Even if people don't know his origin story terribly well, there's no reason to waste half a film on Superman's origin story as it's not all that exciting.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I tried to show the 1978 Superman to my 11 year old nephew recently, but we started to late, and he passed out asleep after an hour, before Clark even got to the Fortress of Solitude.

15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

^But we don't need a whole movie, or even a big chunk of one, showing him learn to use his powers, decide to put on the suit, explain he's from Krypton, show him get a job at the Daily Planet, act shy around Lois, etc.

We KNOW he can fly, we're aware green rocks are bad. Just how him already established. Couple shots establishing that he indeed is a reporter for the paper, Lois is his gf and ace reporter, etc. Just START like that, don't spend 2 hours building up to him getting the nerve to get there...

16. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Your stats aren't quite a random sample but let's go with them. Let's say the 1/4 of the people are the ones going to see the movie. They know his girlfriend and they know his origin.

That would be over 60 million people in the U.S. for a box office of close to $1 billion. Not too shabby, I don't see what's wrong with targeting that demographic.

17. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. The change of tone, memories of his parents, and MJ's absence could have easily been explained as side effects of the black costume debacle. All the other characters were established and Green Goblin could be replaced with Hobgoblin.

18. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

The details of a superhero origin can be condensed to basic details. Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2l4bz1FT8U
    "...and who disguised as Clark Kent..."

With further info given if it suits the actual story.
    Alex Ross did two page origin stories of the JLA which are similarly effective.

19. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

The problem with that is a lot of people did not like the 3rd film at all. It would have been foolish to build a new plot off it.

20. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

I disagree about Ledger's Joker in '89's "Batman." IMHO that wouldn't have worked at all. Totally different tones-Nicholson's Joker works much better for that one.

The Burton films have a comic book-y feel to them, whereas Nolan consciously tried to move away from that a bit.