Joss Whedon wins again.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by trekkerguy, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Colin Xavier

Colin Xavier Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Some ratings news, Dollhouse managed 4.72 million viewers with 2.0/6 for 18-49.

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

For once in a lifetime, my Mediacom DVR actually worked, and I watched the show this morning. I can't say I was terribly impressed. It wasn't bad, but nothing really grabbed me at all.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

LOST fans. Before LOST started people thought it was doomed, no ads for it or anything, turned out to be a hit. Someone form LOST in the first season joked about how there are always "Save a Show" but never any "Cancel a show" websites, he would have liked to have seen a "Cancel 7th Heaven" website. :)

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm seeing it as, "forget the chicks, where are the hot guys?" :klingon: It's ok when a show has a strong, butt-kicking women, such as Larren from SG:A, but there must be a Shep in the show for her to beat up. :D

Anyway given the catastrophic premiere ratings, this is all the mootest of moot points.

6. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Mediocre at best. Whedon's done MUCH better. I'll give it a month to pan out and see where it goes from there.

7. bigdaddy

That's more than Fox will.

8. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

Maybe describing anyone who'd start such a campaign as "losers" was too harsh, but to me it is silly to be fighting (fighting who?) for a show you haven't seen. Imagine campaigning for months and then the show stinks.

But I'd like to point out that I remember a "Cancel Enterprise" web site and a "Cancel Tom Goes to the Mayor" site as well :lol:

9. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

Meh, ratings mean nothing. It's an excellent show.

10. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

awful ratings, I was expecting at least 7 million for the first episode, damm you Sarah Connor

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Can someone provide some context? what would a good figure be? what's this 2.0/6 mean?

12. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not expert, but I'd imagine they mean something to the people paying for the show, yeah?

Anyhow, I just finished watching it. It's not bad...but not wonderful either. I'm not really sure what to think of it, to be honest. It didn't impress me terribly, but I wasn't totally put off by it either. We'll see what happens next week :)

Also, Eliza Dushku is still awesome. That is all.

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I'm watching you, Vorta! :shifty:

14. bigdaddy

The ratings mean the show will be canceled, and from the polls on here to the reviews to what I saw, most won't give a damn if it does. Even the fanboy base here thought it was mainly average.

15. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked it!!

And damn can eliza move.. The woman is soo fine.. Too bad it will get canned though. I felt it deviated enough from JOss' typical one liners and snappy comebacks. Can anybody point me to the Save the Dollhouse website. ;)

16. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

My sentiments also. I was expecting more. My daughter had just shown me Dr. Horrible and that did get my hopes up. I'm not bailing though. I'll give it a full run, as it could get better. Hope it is at least given a chance.

Now to the important stuff; why has noone mentioned Eliza Dushku's legs anywhere in this forum? All of the Genre Babes and objectifying women's body parts threads and not a single mention. That little white dress, the heels, had me working the DVR. Anyway, more Eliza in little white dresses and heels.

17. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

^ have you got a screenshot of that?

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well I'm very watchable. :rommie:

So what gives with this show? The Dolls' added abilities are mental, so doesn't that mean they should be chosen for their physical attributes? In addition to sexy young females (and guys) for prostitution, there should be big beefy guys to do the butt-kicking jobs (why injecte Sierra with the memories of a trained assassin when they should have a stable of seven-foot-tall bodybuilders that they could do the same with?) and ordinary looking people in cases - such as hostage negotiation - where looks are either irrelevant or bland looks would be a benefit.

A Shep would fit right into this scenario, not as the victim of a dominatrix (the dominatrices are the ones in demand and who get paid after all) but as a suave gigalo type romancing rich women who are bored with their hubbies and their various straying, unreliable lovers. Some brainwashed guy who will never cheat on you or look at another woman because he can't would be immensely appealing to a lot of rich women interested in having their egos stroked by a harem of dumb, good-looking males.

In fact, I'd bet that would be the one area in which the Dollhouse really has what we in marketing call a USP - a unique selling proposition - that the competition (non brainwashed people doing the same job) cannot match and therefore allows you to charge a higher price. Do men really care if a hooker is just pretending to like being with them, and shows it? I doubt it. No advantage for Dollhouse, so they cannot charge a premium price and the business makes no sense, since their costs are obviously much higher than for the average prostitution ring. But our lobotomized Shep really does love only his sugar mama at any given time - no faking required. There's your USP.

This is a dumb show, but it's fun thinking up what specific jobs really could be "done better" by brainwashed zombies. I doubt there are many, but gigalo is one. How about others?

Maybe not as horrible as it seems - Friday night sucks, after all. That rating allowed Dollhouse to tie for first in the 18-49 demographic, and it built on T:SCC's lead-in. So that would be survival-level ratings, assuming it doesn't drop next week, which it will. The show needed to get much better ratings than that for the premiere in order to survive the expected drop that all shows get, especially the ones who are highly touted but fail to deliver.

19. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

No I don't, unfortunately.

20. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it was good, not great - just good

but some of the critics online are saying something very different