RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,563
Posts: 5,402,224
Members: 24,864
Currently online: 680
Newest member: paddy00grenham

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 1 2012, 12:34 AM   #31
sbk1234
Rear Admiral
 
sbk1234's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles
Re: TOS/TMP set during the **23rd** century?

Timo wrote: View Post
A thousand stardates seem to be more or less a year, so it might have taken six years to ferment. Or then sixteen. Or twenty-six. Or one hundred and fifty-six. Note the absence of the "decade digit" in this 1000 SD = 1 y assumption, meaning that a 8300 stardate can very well be about fifteen years after "Space Seed"...

Were there a Romulan label on the bottle, Kirk couldn't read it, not even the date on it. The TOS heroes don't read alien languages all that fluently - Scotty and Chekov couldn't read Klingon in the following movie. No doubt the label is there for (illegal) export purposes.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...6d7b2d0e81.jpg

Timo Saloniemi
As evidenced on the original series, the Stardates progressed without what seemed to be any consistancy. The earliest stardates on the series started with a 1, while by the end of the show, three years later, they started with a 6.
__________________
In all the history of the world, a riot has NEVER broken out at a Sci-Fi convention.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 12:55 AM   #32
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: TOS/TMP set during the **23rd** century?

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post
A thousand stardates seem to be more or less a year, so it might have taken six years to ferment. Or then sixteen. Or twenty-six. Or one hundred and fifty-six. Note the absence of the "decade digit" in this 1000 SD = 1 y assumption, meaning that a 8300 stardate can very well be about fifteen years after "Space Seed"...

Were there a Romulan label on the bottle, Kirk couldn't read it, not even the date on it. The TOS heroes don't read alien languages all that fluently - Scotty and Chekov couldn't read Klingon in the following movie. No doubt the label is there for (illegal) export purposes.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...6d7b2d0e81.jpg

Timo Saloniemi
As evidenced on the original series, the Stardates progressed without what seemed to be any consistancy. The earliest stardates on the series started with a 1, while by the end of the show, three years later, they started with a 6.
I thought the latest star date we saw was 5943.7 from All Our Yesterdays?
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 01:37 AM   #33
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: Second star to the right
Re: TOS/TMP set during the **23rd** century?

BillJ wrote: View Post
sbk1234 wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post
A thousand stardates seem to be more or less a year, so it might have taken six years to ferment. Or then sixteen. Or twenty-six. Or one hundred and fifty-six. Note the absence of the "decade digit" in this 1000 SD = 1 y assumption, meaning that a 8300 stardate can very well be about fifteen years after "Space Seed"...

Were there a Romulan label on the bottle, Kirk couldn't read it, not even the date on it. The TOS heroes don't read alien languages all that fluently - Scotty and Chekov couldn't read Klingon in the following movie. No doubt the label is there for (illegal) export purposes.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...6d7b2d0e81.jpg

Timo Saloniemi
As evidenced on the original series, the Stardates progressed without what seemed to be any consistancy. The earliest stardates on the series started with a 1, while by the end of the show, three years later, they started with a 6.
I thought the latest star date we saw was 5943.7 from All Our Yesterdays?
Early in Season One the stardates started with a 1. Three years later would be early Season Four, when the stardates started with a 6.

And technically, the last stardate we saw was 5943.9.
__________________
Captrek
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 06:10 AM   #34
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: TOS/TMP set during the **23rd** century?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post
do you think they would have been better off with the 27th century time period
Unqualified yes.

It would have allowed for a more expansive back story. A more realistic spread of Humanity outward to the stars, room for multiple wars, slow incremental technological improvements. Especially with Humanity barely inching outward for the first century after discovering warp drive. The canon history of Trek has a lot happening in the hundred years between Archer and Kirk.

Cochrane: "What's it like out there in the galaxy?
Kirk: "We're on a thousand planets and spreading out."



Yeah, I've been thinking this works better after reading some of the James Blish TOS adaptions which has the show taking place around that time. It makes so of the weirded things from TOS that never got explained make more sense.

Case in point the planet from Miri went from Earth duplicate to a long since cutoff Earth colony on the usual earth type planet humans tend to colonize.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 10:34 AM   #35
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: TOS/TMP set during the **23rd** century?

The earliest stardates on the series started with a 1, while by the end of the show, three years later, they started with a 5.
Umm, why do you think it would be three years later? It was a five-year mission, after all!

It cannot be three years, that much is certain: in the early third-season "Day of the Dove" (SD unknown), the interval between the episode and the late-second-season "Errand of Mercy" (SD 3198) is given as three years by the character Kang. It's at least four years in three seasons, then - and the stardates would nicely suggest it's actually five years and we saw the entire adventure.

As for consistency, following the rule that higher stardates establish later date creates lots of it. Say, Chekov is definitely onboard in "Space Seed" already, and thus may be among the people who flocked to see, touch and hopefully have sex with Khan. Saying that a thousand of the units amount to a year creates further consistency regarding the time intervals discussed. And it's even within tolerances to think that we witness the resulting roughly three stardates per day...

It's pure coincidence, of course. But so what?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 05:04 PM   #36
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: TOS/TMP set during the **23rd** century?

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Yeah, I've been thinking this works better after reading some of the James Blish TOS adaptions which has the show taking place around that time. It makes so of the weirded things from TOS that never got explained make more sense.

Case in point the planet from Miri went from Earth duplicate to a long since cutoff Earth colony on the usual earth type planet humans tend to colonize.
Right. In Blish's "Miri," the planet was 70 Ophiuchi IV (although he called it "70 Ophiucus" by mistake), it had been settled over 500 years before, and its architecture was "roughly like that of the early 2100s," which would put TOS in the 27th century. He says they're refugees from "the Cold Peace," a tyrannical era from his novel They Shall Have Stars, a prequel to the Cities in Flight series. One interesting thing about the Blish Trek adaptations was the way he worked in references to his own SF -- the Cold Peace, the Vegan Tyranny, Bonner the Stochastic, the Xixobrax jewelworm -- as if to imply that ST took place in his pre-existing universe.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2012, 07:51 PM   #37
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: TOS/TMP set during the **23rd** century?

Christopher wrote: View Post
One interesting thing about the Blish Trek adaptations was the way he worked in references to his own SF -- the Cold Peace, the Vegan Tyranny, Bonner the Stochastic, the Xixobrax jewelworm -- as if to imply that ST took place in his pre-existing universe.
Oh, so thats where that stuff was from. I thought it added a nice interesting history to the universe.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.