The 12 Worst Star Trek: DS9 Episodes Ever

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by fieend, Feb 14, 2012.

1. fieend

fieend Cadet Newbie

Deep Space Nine was, for my money, the best of the Star Trek series. This show went deeper and further than any other one had before, and any would thereafter, and the writers produced many compelling storylines with top-notch acting.

They didn’t hit the bullseye with every single one, however. These are the twelve worst episodes of DS9.

12. Valiant
    6th season

This episode probably would not make most peoples’ lists, but it made mine.

During the Dominion War, an elite group of snotty cadets were in command of a Federation starship, which was behind enemy lines collecting information. Then, because they’re awesome, they think they can destroy a Jem’Hadar warship. As it turns out, the answer was no, they could not.

Don’t get me wrong: the story was fine. My problem with this episode is that the characters were such obnoxious smartasses that I wanted to jump through my TV and punch every single one of them in the face. I felt no connection to them at all – only to Jake, who was pretty much the only sane person aboard. The captain was a pompous ass, the first officer was a smug bitch on wheels (or, more aptly, a bitch on impulse engines), and the rest thought they were just great.

Yeah, the ship blew up at the end, but by the time it did, I had already spent most of the episode not liking a majority of the characters.

Click here to read my other 11 picks

2. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Meridian not #1? Your list is invalid.:p

3. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Storyteller and the Muse are not that bad. I think you undersold Second Sight and Meriden. Move Along Home is that bad episode you watch just to make fun of Trek. I agree with number one.

4. heary

heary Guest

I agree with number one. [​IMG]

5. greenguy

greenguy Commander Red Shirt

Profit and Lace is one of my top ten ST episodes of all time. I don't know what it is, but I find the episode to be hysterical, with one laugh after another; I never understood the huge amount of flak it got especially with episodes like Meridian and Move Along Home in the mix.

6. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

No thanks. Why don't you just post them in this thread?

As for the episodes talked about in this thread, Meridian is 10/10 if one fast forwards all the Jadzia-related scenes without watching them. Granted, the episode would have been better if there was no Jadzia story in it (the same holds true for just any about any other Jadzia story). But due to Meridian's first class B-story, no way is it anywhere near one of DS9's worst.

About Valiant: Yes, the Valiant punks are annoying for the entire episode. That is what makes the ending so fulfilling. The ending turns Valiant is a great episode. Valiant is certainly nowhere near the worst of DS9 either.

7. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Agree with Navaros with the link.

Valiant is a wonderful episode because (amongst other things) it shows Nog isn't infallible. He's good, but he's green, and (also touched on with Homefront/Paradise Lost) lets hero-worship take over his better judgement.

I wonder if he'd have chosen the same actions post AR558?

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

9. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

Only one of the dreaded Ferengi comedies in this list. That does not sound right. ;)

10. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I can't come up with 12 off the top of my head, but "Meridian," "LHWIWS," "the Muse," "Profit and Lace" would be on the list.

11. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

There are some definite stinkers on that list. I think I like Valiant more than a lot of people seem to here - perhaps enough to keep it off a 'worst of' list. I would throw in Ferengi Love Songs and The Emporer's New Cloak as well.

12. greenguy

greenguy Commander Red Shirt

I thought Valiant was good, it just seemed to try to "punch" a little too hard, if that makes sense; it was ST's Children's Crusade episode. It was very dramatic and I'd have liked it better if the focus was primarily on Nog and not him and Jake (annoying).

13. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope the OP won't be offended if I copy and paste the list here for viewer convenience:

14. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree with most of this list.

But why did you put "disability" in quotation marks when discussing Melora? They're unnecessary and actually come across as a little insulting to be perfectly honest.

15. DS9 Gal AZ

DS9 Gal AZ Captain Captain

"Move Along Home" is number 1, no question.

16. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I don't get the problems folks have with "Move Along Home"-perhaps someone who really dislikes it can explain why to me?

it strikes as pointless but fun-nothing great, but nothing terrible

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

"Move Along Home" is bad, but not 'worst in the series' bad. That dubious honor belongs to "Meridian." This list is also missing "Playing God" and "Let He Who is Without Sin..."

It's no coincidence that most of DS9's worst episodes feature Jadzia in a major role. :shifty:

18. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope, that's #7.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Oops! Sorry. :alienblush: I don't know how I missed that. :lol:

20. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Say what one will about Rumpelstiltskin, but that character was almost a leprechaun. Good thing Colm Meaney put his boot in there.

Quite.

Actually, when DS9 originally aired, "Valiant" was one of my favourite standalone episodes of the sixth season. Granted part of this had to do with the gimmick of seeing another Defiant-class ship, but I did generally like the Red Squad plot and only really found their commander very obnoxious.