Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Overlord, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Star Trek did not need a reboot, and the actors in the new films in no way make me think they are who their parts are. That is not Kirk.

Which isn't to say I didn't enjoy the film, I did. I own it, and have watched it six or seven times now. But that isn't Kirk, or McCoy or any of them. It's just a good movie is all, and I can settle for that.

2. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Yes, Star Trek needed a reboot in order to make it relevant to today's younger audience. Nope, it's not the same, but it is fun. That nuTrek movie alone has allowed me to introduce my Star Trek to a younger audience without having them simply roll their eyes and walk away.

3. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fortunatly the worst of Abrams traits (ooooooverrrly maudlin schmaltzy death/near death scenes)* gets over and done with before the credits. I'm surprised that some Peter Gabriel or Bob Dylan song wasn't playing over the destruction of the Kelvin.

all IMHO of course. My wife and daughter boo-hoo every time at that scene. And me (being a bigger crybaby than anyone) just roll my eyes.

* Same thing in LOST when **** is hanging on to Sawyer and he's going "Don't you do it!!!!". My wife is crying and I'm saying out loud "He's just ripping off An Officer and a Gentleman!!"

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes it is.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just curious: Do you think that Daniel Craig is James Bond?

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yes it is, infact they nailed it closer than I think any other group of people could have. And they weren't even obliged to do so for the film, but did so anyway, because Abrams cared enough to make that effort. Correction, they all cared enough to do so.

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, Pine did a believable interpretation of Kirk, that was different, but, fit the character well, but, Quinto and Urban did an excellent job of completely embodying Spock and McCoy

8. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Agreed. I also believe that Star Trek needed the reboot quite desparately. The franchise was truly dead, and it had become nothing other than a pleasant memory to me. Then came Star Trek 09 and it was vital and interesting again. Co-workers were actually discussing it, and the teenagers who work part time were actively searching out the different TV series. I would call that a success.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Thomas Betterton isn't Hamlet!
    Sarah Bernhardt isn't Hamlet!
    Lawrence Olivier isn't Hamlet!
    Peter O'Toole isn't Hamlet!
    Kenneth Branagh isn't Hamlet!
    Patrick Stewart isn't Hamlet!

You get the idea.

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yabbut, that's only Shakepeare. Shakespeare is like the Village Bicycle, EVERYONE gets a ride.

But, we're talking about the Holy and venerable Star Trek here, it's completely different [/sarcasm] ;) :guffaw:

11. Dale Sams

Well...Patrick Stewart ISN'T Hamlet actually.

And I don't think this counts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7lv1SDzno

12. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I don't watch the James Bond movies. Maybe I should, they're supposed to be good, but I've just never been interested in them. I'd rather watch a bad scifi movie than a good movie of another type. Personal tastes and all that kind of stuff.

As to the rest of yall, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Perhaps I left out the "IMO" in my post, but I'm not changing my mind. That isn't the real crew of the original Enterprise. It's a reboot. And also like I said, it was a good movie. Especially the beginning about Kirk's father. That was terrific. I can't wait for the next movie. But, for me, there is only one James T Kirk.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

There may be one James T. Kirk, but he can be played by multiple actors.

14. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

That's fair enough. I'm glad you enjoyed the 2009 movie as a generic movie. A lot of people don't even admit to that much. It's the general "that's not the real crew" that I was responding to.

I have friends that believe that the only Bond was Sean Connery, but they enjoy some of the others as generic films. I get that; and we can have good discussions about the merits of individual films.

It's when Star Trek 09 gets summarily dismissed by people because that's "not the real crew" that I need to respond.

15. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Then you may need to respond again because the crew of "an" Enterprise we saw in ST09 were clearly not the original crew (even the film tries to give that impression, sort of). At best they are copies of those people. Some may not even be the same genetically. So anyone who wants to say they are not the original Kirk and Spock etc (with one exception), are perfectly correct. :p

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

O RLY?

Kirk
    Mirror Kirk
    Evil Transporter Duplicate Kirk
    Android Duplicate Kirk

And now Alternate Kirk.

Star Trek is lousy with Kirks. They're everywhere.

17. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

And Kid Alternate Kirk.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

And Baby Alternate Kirk.

19. Dale Sams

And Mrs David Bowie Kirk
    And Batshit crazy lady Kirk
    And Reflection still in the Nexus Kirk.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think Pine, Quinto and Urban were clearly recognizable as the characters. The rest was hit and miss.