Tron franchise - possible TV show

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Feb 8, 2010.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

http://io9.com/5465337/tron-legacy-may-be-only-the-beginning

via AICN:
    When Will The Full TRON LEGACY Trailer Arrive?? + Is There More TRON In Our Future??

TrekBBS thread related but the title is not not quite representative of the film franchise discussion:
    Tron Legacy logo

The very idea of a CGI television series gives a little hope to A Star trek CGI series.

2. knine

knine Captain Captain

I dunno, how come when I think Tron TV show, the CW immediately comes to mind?

3. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Didn't we sort of already have a Tron cartoon called ReBoot :p

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Assuming this would be a CG cartoon (and how could it not) this sounds like a good fit with Clone Wars on Cartoon Network.

Of course, it will be on the Disney toon channel...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  5. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Get out of my head - I was just about to post that! ;)

Alex

6. jefferiestubes8

March 1, 2010
    http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2010/03/electronic-chatter.html

again:

7. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't know if a tv series would work but I'm looking forward to the movie reboot

8. jefferiestubes8

summer 2012 'Tron: Uprising' animated TV series

Disney XD orders 'Tron: Legacy' toon
    Nov. 4, 2010
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118026910

also
    http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/11/tron-uprising-2/

9. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Interesting. Guess we'll have to see how the film turns out to know whether or not this is a good idea. But if they're already ordering TV episodes, then I'm guessing the studio is pretty confident in the film.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

This movie could really spawn a huge new franchise. It's got the essential first element: a vast playground to set stories in, that follows rules that are familiar to our own reality in some ways, but in other ways is exciting and new, to keep things fresh and unexpected, and allow this new cosmos to develop a unique identity.

That's the same basic condition that allowed Star Trek and Star Wars to become ever-expanding pop culture phenomena. But now comes the hard part - will we care about the characters? Will the story rise above deadening cliche?

11. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm just hoping the movie doesn't suck.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I still cringe whenever they start throwing the word 'franchise' around.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Another franchise about being stuck in a computer. Part 2 better not be "Tron: Reloaded"

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Perhaps it's not so much "another franchise about being stuck in a computer" as it is finally exploiting the first one...

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually really dig the voice cast. I'm looking forward to seeing the sequel and hoping too that it doesn't suck. The trailers so far have been all great. I read an early version of the script about a year ago and it was pretty good.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah I know I'm getting way ahead of things here. If the movie doesn't suck, it could spawn a "natural" franchise, that deserves to exist, vs the usual type that is foisted upon us by corporate greed (not that any of this is devoid of corporate greed as the chief motive).

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I still believe that Tron 2 will flop when it comes out, I mean flop hard.

Some nerds will obviously come out to watch it, but the budget is supposedly $175 millionish and I really don't see it making it's money back, unless it does amazing over seas.

I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

17. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Clash of the Titans, another 1980s "remake," pulled in $163M. And it had a piss poor story and ugly 3D conversion. Tron: Legacy looks to be a much better film, at least visually. And given Disney's rather aggressive marketing, I'm guessing it'll see a very significant opening weekend. If its story is anywhere near coherent, it should at least match Clash in terms of box office receipts. Heck, even How To Train Your Dragon broke $200M. More interesting to me is how Tron does relative to the latest Shrek offering, which was $238M.

Now, whether or not Tron is actually a decent flick ... that remains to be seen.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The first TRON was a flop, and, having seen it for the first time about a year ago, it struck me as a dumb movie that looked incredible. Still, that formula wasn't a bad one for AVATAR at the end of last year, and the 3D will probably push TRON LEGACY ahead in the box office. Only time will tell if the movie will be any good.

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see Tron as a TV series to be a particularly good idea. It seems to be a franchise that works best when everybody knows as little about it as possible, and I fear a TV series would abuse the concept until it doesn't feel special anymore.

20. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

Have we forgotten the 1983 travesty that was Automan?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQb1ZD9W8_c[/yt]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010