RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,549
Members: 25,806
Currently online: 461
Newest member: lilyjames1988

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 16 2015, 09:40 PM   #376
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: ELEMENTARY - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
Oh and a little known actor called Patrick Stewart.
He's probably busy making another Star Wars film.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2015, 11:27 PM   #377
Christopher
Writer

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
Oh and a little known actor called Patrick Stewart.
McKellen playing Holmes and Stewart playing Holmes's father within a year of each other? That'd be... hmm. Something.

How about Malcolm McDowell? He strikes me as having a quality in common with Jonny Lee Miller, enough that they could plausibly be related. His only previous Holmesian role is an undistinguished one, the voice of Professor Moriarity (sic) in 2010's Tom and Jerry Meet Sherlock Holmes (opposite Michael York and John Rhys-Davies as Holmes and Watson, impressively enough), but he was also H.G. Wells in Time After Time, which was scripted and directed by Nicholas Meyer of The Seven Per Cent Solution.
Old May 17 2015, 05:25 PM   #378
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Here's another idea for Holmes' father -- Tim Pigott-Smith.

He has an interesting Sherlock Holmes connection. He wrote two childrens books about the Baker Street Irregulars.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2015, 07:00 PM   #379
Christopher
Writer

I'm not familiar enough with Pigott-Smith to have an opinion. He's done a few things I've seen, but mostly long-ago stuff like '70s Doctor Who and the original Clash of the Titans.
Old May 17 2015, 11:52 PM   #380
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I was thinking Peter Stormare. He loves doing American television, and he looks almost like a cross between Miller and Ifans.

There is, of course, the fact that he and Ifans are only 12 years apart in age. But Hollywood has never cared much about that.
Old May 18 2015, 01:47 AM   #381
Tom Hendricks
King of the Wicker People

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Do you think in this Sherlock, Sherlock and Mycroft had different mothers? They never talk about their mother or a mother in fact.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2015, 01:52 AM   #382
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
Do you think in this Sherlock, Sherlock and Mycroft had different mothers? They never talk about their mother or a mother in fact.
There could be something tragic in that story, hence a reason not to bring her up.

I don't believe the Canon Holmes ever referred to either parent. For that matter, neither did Canon Watson.

allyngibson.net

Last edited by Allyn Gibson; May 18 2015 at 03:28 AM. Reason: An horrific misspelling
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2015, 02:32 AM   #383
Christopher
Writer

There was that bit in Sherlock last season where Sherlock's parents randomly showed up for a scene or two and turned out to be extremely ordinary people, not at all what you'd expect Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes's parents to have been like. (And they were played by Benedict Cumberbatch's real parents, both actors themselves -- including Wanda Ventham, who played three different roles in Doctor Who and was a recurring lead in UFO.)
Old May 18 2015, 05:56 PM   #384
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I wasn't a big fan of the Kitty arc and was relieved to see she wasn't going to stick around for the whole season. I didn't necessarily dislike her character, I just felt that her presence detracted from the show overall and I kept wishing they'd get back to the regular Holmes-Watson dynamic instead of having this third wheel around.

So sad to see Sherlock's state at the end of this episode. I wonder who his father will be played by and how that mysterious relationship will play out. I also hope that they use flashbacks to show us what happened in those three days between Sherlock's relapse and when Joan was talking to him on the roof.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote