Hated it

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by KSoldier, Oct 29, 2014.

1. KSoldier

KSoldier Ensign Red Shirt

Am I one of the only ones who hated the Trek reboot?

It isn't my lack of devotion to the world of Trek that brings me to this intense dislike, but exactly the opposite. In my opinion, the reboot killed all that is Star Trek.

These movies pretty much destroyed all the stories that led up to it. Every bit of TOS was built upon the foundation of the Kirk, Spock, McCoy relationship, which in the reboot, has been totally redefined. Oh yes, a "new" foundation has been created, but don't fool yourselves, it is not the same.

Because of this (as well as the destruction of physical plot devices, planets, ships, characters, etc.) every bit of Trek has been erased. What were they thinking?

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yes. And if you want to be a part of this community for very long, opening right out with bashing a movie series will not be a good way to start.

3. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

You'll find plenty of people on here who agree with you, but you'll also find a lot that don't.

Put simply, I love both. Old trek will always be there for me to watch, is very dear to my heart and always will be, new trek is a branch off for a modern cinema audience and I love it for the fact that it's a big budget cinematic event again which I haven't truly been able to say about it since 1979.

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

(Checks discs of TOS movies and episodes.) Nothing I have has been erased. :shrug: ;)

Sorry if the new Trek isn't your cup of tea. That's OK, but I'm not sure why you should feel everything that has come before it is now somehow less enjoyable.

Myself, I see a lot of the old Trek in the Abrams movies.

5. KSoldier

How about any TOS episode taking place, or that references the planet Vulcan? They should be slowly disappearing like Marty McFly's hand. Just watch.

6. Smellmet

I don't believe you are grasping the concept of 'alternative timeline' surely you have seen Back to the Future II?

7. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

What a... novel opinion.

8. KSoldier

I wouldn't consider this "bashing." This is my opinion as stated. Not all opinions have to be positive, right?

I would hope that in the spirit of civil conversation that supporters of the re-boot would try and provide a list of redeeming qualities as opposed to just suggesting that I keep my opinions to myself.

9. KSoldier

As a fan of the Trek book series' I have accepted the alternate timelines a while ago, I was just taking into consideration that the movies defined that which was canon, and therefore, rewrote all that was Trek.

What can I say? I really miss Amanda.

10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

So the problem isn't actually the new films. It's that you don't understand the definition of the word "reboot."

When the Christopher Nolan Batman films came out and had a completely different origin story than the 60's TV show or the Tim Burton Batman films before it, did you not understand that these were all reboots as well? Or did you think they were all taking place in the same universe? The definition of "reboot" is that things change from the original, and that change has nothing to do with whatever version came before. One can pop in their TOS Batman DVDs and enjoy them just fine, while also enjoying The Dark Knight Rises. We know they're not the same, and yet we can like them (or dislike them) just as equally.

Again, you seem to not have any concept of what a reboot means. The Abrams films are an attempt to retell a story without having to slavishly adhere to 40+ years of established canon. It's an alternate universe. The original universe is chugging along just fine, and not being affected by the new one.

Did you even see the first Abrams film? It makes it crystal clear that it is all taking place in an alternate universe that doesn't affect the prime one.

She's in an episode of TOS and in STIV. Feel free to watch them, as they haven't disappeared into thin air.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

My thoughts exactly.
    "Now don't get the idea that I dislike the Abrams films because of a lack of devotion to the world of Trek!"

"Well, I'm glad you cleared that up because that was totally my assumption!" said no one, ever.

12. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Oh this is gonna be fun.

[​IMG]

13. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

If you have a problem with how this reboot was execued, that's one thing. If you have a problem with there being a reboot at all, I think the Enterprise or Movies I - X forums are more appropriate.

14. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope. :)

But come on, "every bit of Trek has been erased" is totally hyperbolic. They didn't "erase" anything, they're just (for some of us) less than great as films / Trek go.

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I love Rowan. A man who knows how to put his good looks to good use.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those characters were done and dusted. Ink in the old Star Trek Chronology book. By time travelling and rebooting, they made those characters, places and events relevant again. It's not the same Kirk, Spock and McCoy as we had in the 60's, but these ones are damn cool updates, IMO. I can't wait to see what happens to them next.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If I wanted it to be exactly the "same", then I'd just go watch the seventy-nine episodes of TOS that I own. It has been fifty-years since TOS, the new movies could never be the "same". Too many years have passed and too many things have changed.

But they are fun to watch and have done the best job of capturing the spirit of TOS. YMMV.

18. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

There's nothing wrong with hating the new films (provided, of course, you've taken the time to actually watch them at least once. Otherwise you're a damn hypocrite).

There's nothing wrong with hating the new films any more than there's nothing wrong with loving them.

Just don't be one of those people who goes blathering on about how because you hate them, everyone else should hate them. Or, because you hate them, it gives unquestionable license to refuse to acknowledge why others do enjoy them.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yes perhaps it's not the same as TOS, but I didn't go into the movies expecting it to be the same. As for what they are doing something different perhaps. Trying to update it for the taste of the general modern audiance. Doesn't mean they will always get it right. The simple fact is ST went from a movie franchise that really only fans went to see to a franchise that general movie goers went to. Who knows perhaps they/they'll want to go and investigate the source material.

As they explained in ST(09) it's a parallel reality where vents play out differently than the prime time line of TOS, that still exists they haven't erased it.

20. Smellmet

Nobody is suggesting that you keep your opinions to yourself, they are however questioning the points you are making and your understanding of the concept behind the reboot and alternate universes etc, as your posts so far seem to point to a lack of understanding of it. I'm not having a go, I'm just trying to play devils advocate.

Prime Trek up to and including Nemesis is one of the biggest passions in my life, so I totally get people who don't like these new movies. I adore the TOS movies, I don't even mind the TNG ones that much.

JJ Trek is just another flavour of it that has come along, just like TNG, and DS9 were both new 'flavours'. I have found both movies to be massively entertaining. Are they perfect? Absolutely not. Some of the writing, plot holes and choices they have made have been a little shoddy at times in both films, but I've still enjoyed the hell out of them and can't wait to see what they come up with for the next one.