Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want Jeffrey Combs as The Leader!

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

^ That could work quite well. A lot of the directors have been Trek alums too.

I saw that. I agree with many of his arguments (particularly the not having actual psychic powers) but went with MODOK as my conclusion.

3. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Good luck getting M.O.D.O.K. to work. That character is one of the most "out there" characters in the Marvel universe. I would be absolutely shocked if it was him.

4. Alidar Jarok

The way I picture him working is closer to a normal human in appearance, but wired into a computer sort of like Barkley in that TNG episode. I do think compromises would have to be made for a live action TV show.

The reasons I lean towards him are these: first, the thing about formulas and predictive power fit him as well, sort of like the machine in person of interest. Second, AIM is the true rival of SHIELD (while the last is Hulk) so it would be great if that's who they are (one thing that caught my attention was Simmons talking about SHIELD's segments. She mentioned HYDRA, AIM, and Centipede. Of course, in the comics, the first two are the same. I could see the third being the same as well). Another reason to connect the organizations together is it suddenly makes 084 part of the main storyline as well. Finally, there seems to be a certain grotesqueness to the Clairvoyant. He doesn't like to be seen or touched. That would fit someone quite abnormal in appearance.

I'm saying this argument as someone initially highly skeptical of MODOK. I've only seen him in the Kids can Super Hero Super Squad, where he's comic relief. He also looks quite absurd. But I think they could figure it out and make it work.

5. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I guess he could be a face on a screen attached to an android body, like the updated Arnim Zola from the Captain America game.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Remember, Tim Blake Nelson played Samuel Sterns in The Incredible Hulk, and the last we saw of him in that movie was when he was gamma-injected and his skull was starting to grow. I thought he gave a nifty performance there, and I'd really like to see him return.

Of course, the MCU has recast characters before, and Combs was great as the Leader in A:EMH. But I would rather have Nelson reprise the role.

7. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Avengers: Emergency Medical Hologram?

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, that's exactly what he meant.

9. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Well, mark me surprised, my only experience with Deathlok was the Astonishing Tales comics from the 70's, but the character always stuck with me. I just figured we'd never see him on the screen because he was too much like RoboCop. Looking forward to it.

10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it always seemed like he was shouting at people.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'd think you were joking, if those weren't exactly the kind of lengths Peter David would go to for a lame pun...

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I basically know about Deathlok because he was in Maximum Carnage, which was my introduction to comic books.

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    That is funny.
    I prefer to think of them as impatient or just ignoring, despite being told, the show wasn't going to start off feeling like one of the films.

I had forgotten the exactness of the quote but that article has it, the tagline for the show "Not all heroes are super".
    A show from club Whedon was always going to take a number of episodes to lay threads, more to start the tapestry and a few seasons before the edges were in place enough to begin making out the picture.

It's no different than Sleepy Hollow, which got to ep13 and stopped. That cliffhanger would be as if SHIELD had had it's season finale mid-January also with the revelation of Sky's origins.

The show is coming together and the characters are getting more interesting while at the same time it's "getting some super" in it's lineup also.

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Except that Sleepy Hollow was great from episode one. Shield, not so much.

16. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

The problem with strings, tapestries, edges and the whole picture is its not the 90's anymore. The viewing audience and their watching habits have changed drastically. Taking a season or more to tell stories is no longer acceptable. Things need to hit the ground running and Shield just did not do that very well. It has improved the last two weeks but so much time wasted getting there.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Right now I think the show is purring like a car at a stoplight. Unfortuantely it's one of those cars that shuts off the engine when it's not needed in order to save fuel but keeps everything else (radio, climate controls) going and the engine is at ready.

The show has yet to really get out on the highway and open itself up and really show us what it can do. The mid-season cliff-hanger, follow up and following episode were all pretty good but there's yet to be anything about this show that's really made it remarkable.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's great. :rommie:

Hey, this means that Coulson is working for me. :bolian:

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Clark Gregg is on a roll.

:lol:

20. Alidar Jarok

I think it's better to read the comment as good-natured ribbing than anything else, but who knows. I don't really think Clark Gregg has a mean bone in his body.

That being said, it would be kind of cool if they took spec scripts from comic book writers who are up for the challenge of a different medium.