Covert Affairs (Piper Perabo, new USA series) - Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Aragorn, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Re: Covert Affairs (Piper Perabo, new USA series) - Discussion & Spoil

You said twaddle....

tee hee.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm kinda liking the show myself. It may not be the most original or exciting spy show I've ever seen, but I find the setting and tone of the show very refreshing.

Instead of another super-stylized comic book spy agency like we got in Alias and other shows, this actually feels like a real government operation that might take place in the real world, with real beauracracy and real technology to deal with. Even Piper's fighting skills seem appropriately limited to what she could actually do.

I just wish her character was a little less bland and conventional.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Annie targets a college student to get information about a corrupt government official in Venezuela, but the murder of another agent who was involved in the investigation complicates her task.

4. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

No one watches this anymore? I liked this one, espacially the ending and that some unknown field-agent saved the day, most shows would rely on the protagonist but this was more realistic on the one hand, on the other it showed Annies greenness.

5. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still watch it but I'm a week behind. It's no Alias but I like it. USA shows are rather light but fun and this is in the same vein.

<---hence the avatar. :D

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, that agent "saved the day" as far as the main spy plot was concerned, but the episode cared more about the characters, the brother and sister and what was going on with them, so that was the aspect that Annie resolved. So in dramatic terms, she was the primary hero of the story.

7. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

True but most shows would have had Annie in that role. I just have a thing for professional minor characters that are more than redshirts. :)

8. Aragorn

[​IMG]

Annie needs Auggie's help to return from Zurich where she is stranded with an untrustworthy Mossad agent. At the agency, Joan and Arthur suspect Auggie to be the CIA's leak.

9. Aragorn

Did people stop watching this? I actually thought this was the best episode, and by best I mean most fun, not necessarily a great episode of TV in the grand scheme of things. Perabo and Fehr looked like they had a lot of fun. Still doesn't make sense why a green recruit brought into the CIA only because of her connection to her ex-boyfriend would keep getting sent out on solo missions unarmed that could get her killed and which dozens of other agents would be more qualified for.

Though what was up with the shootout at the end where the bad guys were expelling red powder instead of squibs?

10. Christopher

Well, the premise was that this was supposed to be a simple handoff, just switch the briefcases and come right back home on the next flight -- hardly a dangerous mission, just the lowest-level grunt work. But it went Horribly Wrong and became dangerous, and was complicated further because of the silly witch hunt for a media leak impeding the DPD's ability to help extract Annie.

(What bugs me is, why is the Domestic Protection Division sending its agents overseas?)

I saw it as a mist of blood rather than a powder. Looked odd, but then, for all we know, it might be more realistic than what we've been conditioned to expect.

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

No Quarter was definitely the best episode to date. It was significantly better than the other. I was just about to give up on the show, but this reeled me back in for awhile.

I'm not usually a fan for crossovers, but after the WH13/Eureka crossover last night and all the talk in this episode about burning agents, I was thinking a CA/Burn Notice crossover might be fun--at least be a way to promote the show.

12. Ganja Tea

Ganja Tea Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the show and have been watching every week, but is this chick going to get choked from behind in every fucking episode? I think every episode so far someone has tried to garrotte her. Statisticly someone should of succeeded by now.

13. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

In real life? Sure. In a tv show? Not really.

14. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I'm still watching it because I believe in giving shows a chance to develop. I still am not fond of Annie, though she's growing on me just a bit. I really don't like her boss (the wife of the other dude). She's annoying in all sorts of ways and the whole marital issues thing just seems distracting. Maybe if someone else had been cast in the role I would've been more into it.

Also enough with the sexual tension between Annie and some dude of the week. Team her up with a badass chick and give her a role model for once. And get her some more training!

15. Ganja Tea

Ganja Tea Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hell ya. Sexual tension between Annie and some chick of the week....:drool:

16. Christopher

Well, since the show's very title is a sexual double entendre, I don't think we should expect the romantic elements to be toned down anytime soon.

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Anybody else think at this point that if Gorham's character got his sight back he would totally take over the show?

And are the writers telegraphing too strongly that at some point Annie will have to choose between Gorham's character and her "2 week" stand mystery man?

18. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did think him saying he was not blind and telling the guy that the machine showing he was telling the truth was explained by him being good at lying was foreshadowing this.

(I think I should rephrase that sentence, but I suppose you get the idea. ;))

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^hmmm, he's a double agent and the blindness is his cover?

20. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've stopped watching but Gorham is the kind of actor who should have his own show - he did, once. Time for him to get another lead role. Second banana in a dreary USA farce isn't gonna do it.