Are the "spirit Walk" novels worth a read?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Infern0, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have decided to read through the Voyager relaunch, and was just wondering if these two books are worth buying?

Also, outside of the core relaunch, are there any other trek lit dealing with Voyager, post delta quadrant?

Thanks

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I skipped Spirit Walk, going from the Homecoming duology to Full Circle, and didn't feel like I missed a thing.

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you don't mind skipping the two worst novels in the relaunch, then by all means. If you want to know the back story to the storyline which is completed in Full Circle, then you'll be missing something.

The TNG novel Before Dishonor and the Destiny trilogy have alot to do with Voyager as well. If you plan on reading them read them before Full Circle.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Reactions to Spirit Walk seem to be mixed. Several folks on this BBS had strongly negative reactions, but I gather the books sold very well. Personally I liked them fine.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

What Christopher said. Personally, I strongly disliked them but the plot points do carry forward to Full Circle, even if they are wrapped up quickly.

6. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

They weren't the best of the relaunch novels (probably the worst), but they aren't that bad. Much like Christopher, I enjoyed them just fine...but then again, I've always had an affinity for the Voyager crew. Full Circle is much better, but IMO, they are still worth the read :techman:

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

When started reading the VoyR, I just did a bit of research on Memory Beta, and then was able to jump into Full Circle with no problem.

8. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I read them not too long ago and liked them well enough. By no means great, and they suffer from the problem of being about a novel's worth of story divided into two books. I liked the first book more than the second, too.

9. vegaslover62

vegaslover62 Commander Red Shirt

I'm not too fond of how Enemy of My Enemy ended. I have no idea how to activate the spoiler mask, so without revealing too much, Chakotay and the war criminal Moset went off and performed an experiment while the bad guy was wreaking unchecked havoc not too far away.

10. Guest12

Guest12 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I actually liked them pretty well. They're not something to rave about, but I do like that Christie Golden was working in several elements from the series' past to create the storyline rather than just turning Voyager into TNG+we used to be in the Delta Quadrant.

11. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

They are worth reading if for no other reason then to know what happened so later on you won't be going huh? as you read Full Circle.

12. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Both books are good books, but just watch out since they do bring into the stories an obscure character (Chakotay's sister) who only got mentioned once or twice on the show (and it was in the later seasons, like 6 or 7), and was never actually seen. So that might throw you a bit.