The Vampire Diaries - Season 3 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Cool...Noah Bennet had a secret life and another Cheerleader daughter, and now he's wrapped up with Vampires...This could be made of awesome :bolian::bolian: (Noah was one of the consistently good excuses for suffering all the way through Heroes :( )

Yea, Klaus is not what I expected, it's disappointing. The writing isn't necessarily wrong, but, the performance is, IMHO. This would've been much more fun, if it was Elijah, and there was no Klaus introduced. Elijah playing out this arc, could've worked, maybe.

I think Elijah did get what he wanted, to be near (Or know where?) his ancestors are, he just didn't plan on being as dead as them when they were reunited.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yay for Noah Bennett as Caroline's vampire-hunting gay dad! :bolian:

They did some cart-before-the-horse writing here. I've been wondering why it's so all-fired important that Klaus not know Elena is alive. He got what he wanted, why should he care if she's still alive? But now we know he didn't get what he wanted (although the logic is sketchy; if the doppleganger died, then why should it matter if she was resuscitated? was there a footnote that Klaus failed to read?)

But the reason for the angst is that the writers would know it would become important that Elena's survival stay secret. Funny thing is, the gang doesn't even yet know why it's important. I guess they've been reading ahead in the script. ;)

I agree with the general disapproval of Klaus, but I'm not sure if it's just the writing that's at fault. Klaus is just another Katherine, a character introduced in order to create problems for the gang to solve. This show doesn't invest too much in making those types of characters very compelling in their own right. They're just plot conveniences, not actual characters.

But the actor could do something to elevate the dull writing. Play the character as having some undercurrent - a desperate edge, or a gleefully malicious one - something really scene stealing is needed.

3. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Everytime Klaus has a scene, I realize how much I miss Elijah.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The second episode was much better than the premiere this year.

Elena's plan was so stupid. Going into a forest full of Werewolves during a full moon? Come on! I can't believe Damon and Ric went along with it. The only good part from that was when Damn threw Elena into the lake. The girl had it coming! :rommie:

Tyler is really developing as a character and is so different from how he was in the first season.

Not sure how I feel about the Jeremy and Matt plot yet. It feels so disconnected from all the Kalus stuff.

I love that they got the actor from Heroes that played Noah. He was one of the only good things about it in the later years. I think he is going to be awesome as Caroline's daddy.

5. MagGu

MagGu Lieutenant Red Shirt

HRG baby!

6. js

js Captain Captain

Sadly, I'm going to have to agree.

I like Joseph Morgan but they're giving him nothing to do as Klaus. Whereas you couldn't take your eyes off Elijah for a second, he was so intense and interesting.

Hope the Klaus storyline goes somewhere. But in the meantime, loving everything with Caroline and Tyler. And as Jeremy and Matt were my fave characters from early on, I'm enjoying seeing where their storyline is going - especially given the ghost conflict that seems to be setting up!

7. Temis the Vorta

Was the actor who played Elijah really that good? All I remember is that he was better looking. :D

What Klaus needs is better motivation. Just trying to create hybrids "in case" of a war (between vamps and wolves I presume?) isn't much of a motivation, since we've seen no solid evidence that anyone needs to be worrying about such a conflict.

Werewolves have been established as "rare" for starters, so wouldn't such a war be pretty damn short? And this series isn't taking up the notion that a werewolf bite to a human creates another werewolf, so they would be at a serious disadvantage in ramping up their numbers quickly.

Maybe Klaus is just incredibly paranoid about a war that isn't likely to happen. But he isn't being played as paranoid (which might be interesting). I don't know what the frak is going on with the Klaus plotline, or if it's anything beyond the writers just using him to create dramatic conflict for the characters they actually do care about.

OTOH, perhaps Klaus knows something we don't about a looming zombie apocalypse. :D

PS, I have a feeling that the writers are going to have Stefan finally end up killing an "important" character. Caroline's dad is an obvious suspect, since he's the kind of character the writers have shown an inclination to kill off (parental units beware!) But if the writers really want to prove their gutsiness, they should have him kill a longer-term character. Matt would be the easiest, but also a bit cop-outy due to his unimportance. Jeremy would be going too far. How about Bonnie?

8. Sindatur

Hey now, Temis. Killing Bonnie would definitely be going too far

I too, do wonder, if Stefan will kill someone "Big"

9. Temis the Vorta

Maybe Vicki will be resurrected as a zombie and Stefan will kill her?

But that's still in cop-out territory. All the characters are either non-starters because they'd destroy Stefan's relationship with Elena (Jeremy, Ric, Bonnie, Caroline, and I guess we need to include Damon) or they're who-cares-ish (any of the parental units, Matt, resurrected Vicki or Anna). Who have I forgotten? Oh yeah, Tyler. There's a possibility.

If the writers want to get radical, they could have Stefan kill either Elena or Damon, and then have the season finale cliffhanger hinge on whether and how they are resurrected (because of course they would be resurrected, but in what sort of shape/attitude/personality?)

Damon, yeah, that's the ticket. Stefan should kill Damon!!! :bolian:

Now I have a reason to watch the whole season.

10. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I think a lot of it had to do with the writing, but Elijah was definitely way more interesting than Klaus. That guy seems like an annoying spoiled brat that always needs to get what he wants and then he's pissy when he doesn't get it.

11. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would killing Bonnie really even matter? Why exactly does Bonnie go through large portions of a season MIA? Is the actress going to college in another state or filming/doing something besides the show?

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katerina_Graham

The actress is involved in filming movies and she is involved in singing as well. Don't know if this is why she is MIA all the time...but she is involved in more stuff than just TVD.

13. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I felt that the actor playing Elijah gave the character an air of gravitas. I felt like I was watching a being that had been around for centuries.

Klaus comes off as a one-note villian compared to his brother, thus far. Of course, Elijah's entrance into the Rose storyline really made me sit up and pay attention.

Klaus may gain more depth. He was always portrayed as hot-headed. However, I always assumed he had some sense because he held so many people in sway and had lived so long. I thought that Elijah functioned as his pooper scooper for centuries.

Maybe Klaus' story will morph into a great tale of hubris. We shall have to wait and see.

We now know that Klaus cannot create any more beings like himself because the doppelganger is still alive. (I guess her portion of the ritual was in the Jack, Jack no take back section.)

I loved seeing HRG as Caroline's dad. I hope he does not end up Vampire fodder.

The ghost story is just kind of there right now. I did not feel the whole "don't trust Vicki" thing was earth shattering. That chick never was reliable.

14. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Vampire Diaries “The End Of The Affair” Official Description Tonight! :)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4S4CyULP_g&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

Preview

Can't wait! :bolian:

15. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Well I thought last night was interesting. The show has quite a few balls up in the air.
    1. Jeremy and the ghosts + Matt and I assume Bonnie since she will be back
    2. Catherine is officially stalking Stefan/Klaus
    3. Stefan had a fling with Nick/Klaus' baby sister and now she has been resurrected.
    4. Caroline/Daddy/Mama Forbes/Tyler/Mama Lockwood
    5. Ellena and Damon are coming off as the most boring duo right now.
    6. Whatever Rick is going to be up to

I have to say that I loved that Mama Forbes with Tyler as shotgun showed up and rescued her baby girl. She was gun toting and not going to take any crap. It was awesome, best part of the episode.

I wonder if the wooden bullet man will turn out to be another member of the Klaus/Elijah/Rebecca clan? I thought it was a riot that Catherine was right in there with the men with a gun.

Now the road leads back to Elena though because Stefan gave her the necklace that the witch needs to help Klaus figure out why he can't go hybrid happy.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Poor Caroline. I think the girl has had enough pain to last a lifetime. I got a little sick seeing her own father torture her. So glad when she was finally able to get away. Liz and Tyler were too awesome. Candice is such a great actress.

HRG was good too, nothing like his character on Heroes.

Elena's stupid plan of the week # 3 to get back Stefan. What the hell was she thinking? The best plan they could come up with was to have Damon die? What they need to do is find a way to kill Klaus. That is the ONLY way to save Stefan.

The flashbacks looked great and we learned a lot. For a show on the CW with a small budget, they do a good job with episodes about that the past.

I liked Rebecca. She seems like she is going to be a great new character.

Nice to see Katherine again. I love the character. Nina seems to have so much fun with the role. I wonder what she is planning?

17. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Excellent ep. :bolian: Liked the flashback stuff with Stefan, Klaus & Rebecca. The stuff with Caroline and her dad is interesting...Tyler and Caroline's mom saving her was cool. I am actually bored with Elena & Damon...I like them better when they interact with other characters.

18. Sindatur

Wow, can't believe Caroline's dad did that to Caroline, he never would've treated Claire like that ;)

Yea, it was excellent seeing Tyler and Momma Bear coming to rescue her cub, especially after her initial reactions.

The scene with Steffan and Klaus at the table with that other couple, where he sliced the woman's arm openn, and made her husband drink the blood, was most icky and chilling.

19. Sindatur

Oh, and am I remembering wrong, or have all the Wirches been Black?

Bonnie, her Grandma, her cousin, Emily, The Witchboy and his father, the lady in this episode (Was Gina Torres a witch?)

No, not a racist complaint, merely an observation, as in, it seems the in the Historical Times of the Story, Vamps and Wolves ran through the Rich White families back in the Day, and the Witches come from the Servant/poor Black Families.

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

http://vampirediaries.wikia.com/wiki/Matt_Donovan

[edit] He was white. :lol: