End of Shadow War = Lame

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starfleet Engineer, Sep 13, 2008.

1. mandragora

mandragora Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's the same conflict on many levels. It's order vs chaos in the universe, authoritarian vs libertarian in society, the influence of the parents.

There's a similar conflict on a psychological level, between the conscience ("super-ego") and the subconscious ("shadow self" in the terminology of C.G. Jung - there's a reason the Shadows got their name).

Becoming more than a mere pawn in the presence of all those opposing factors thying to control you is what the Shadow war is about. Trying to fight all these controlling influences by force is futile- "you have to understand you way out of it."

2. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

When I first watched it, there was a great deal of buzzing about an apparent political allegory with the Shadow/Vorlon conflict. I understood that reasoning, because the same idea popped into my mind, too. However, the portrayed conflict itself seemed more to be one between any two disparate ideologies than anything political.

One question, as to your "of the past" and "of the future" delineations, are you referring to Morden's explanation to Sheridan in "Z'ha'dum"?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  3. Starfleet Engineer

Starfleet Engineer Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe I got it from Sheridan saying it while talking to the Vorlon in the block of ice (or whatever it is). I don't remember, exactly.

4. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was also confused by the seemingly anti-climactic ending, but upon reflection, I think it makes more sense than having constant explosions. It fits well with the theme of the show and works better in the overall context of the story..

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

[londo]Actually... now that you mention it. [/londo] ;)

6. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, the Shadows are the Democrats, eh? Deceitful, vicious, hiding behind the scenes, setting people against one another, surgically altering peoples' minds to be compliant agaents of chaos or obedient tools to run their machines...

Yeah, I can see it.

:)

(now cue angry Dem response with Vorlon traits - and...begin!)

;)

7. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I've got a Better Idea. Let's...oh, I dunno...talk about Babylon 5 instead.

Babylon 5 trivia for stuff that never was: The original name for the Shadows was the Shadowmen. Kinda Saturday morning cartoon-ish, I think. And in the original draft of "The Gathering", Kosh had a mate named Velana.

Jan

8. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

He's just having a bit o' evil fun. After all, we knwo the Shadows are really Libertarians. :evil:

No kidding. "Shadows" is much more effective and dramatic. Okay, so I jsut watched "Z'ha'dum" again last night.

Was her last name Torres?

9. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

<music chime>"Last names...are irrelevant"</music chime> :p

More trivia that never was: Vir's original name was Virell (they have six, you know...).

Jan

10. Starfleet Engineer

Starfleet Engineer Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't attempting to make a political statement. I was listing the public perceptions of the two political groups and how they matched up with how the Vorlons and Shadows were described in the series. That's all. :cool: