Why Khan?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, Feb 27, 2013.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Man, Kirstie Alley was so much hotter as Saavik.

Only one of those that bugs me is Simon Pegg. He's a kinda funny original character but he doesn't really resemble Scotty at all, who was pretty calm in TOS. Hope he tones it down in this outing.

...and I still think Cumberbatch is playing John Harrison. I don't see the point of deceit at this stage.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Simon Pegg wants Scotty to be a more serious character in the vein of TOS, but Abrams and his cohorts insist on making him a purely comedic character.

And really, out of that above list, the only case of recasting that was questionable was Zefram Cochrane. Don't get me wrong, James Cromwell was perfect for the role, though he was older than canon said the character should have been at that point. Then again, Braga and Moore didn't want to be slavish to what was established about him in TOS and at the early stages of planning had even considered making the character a woman.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Calm? He was almost as excitable as McCoy or Chekov!!! Especially if his engines or girlfriend was involved.

4. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He could definitely get excitable and passionate but Scotty was never a manic character in TOS. Even the movies where he was more of a buffoon, the character was pretty chilled out.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Amen.

We should also note that the Trills changed their look for the better between TNG and DS9 . . . .

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's close to impossible.

7. Greg Cox

It's like the Force. It surrounds us, binds us together . . . and it definitely has a Dark Side. :)

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

In light of his ethnicity, Cumberbatch will in fact be playing someone called McCann.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

McCann Noonan Sheen.

10. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  11. Greg Cox

You can't trust IMDB when it comes to upcoming films. I knew for a fact that they had some of the characters' names wrong the whole time I was writing The Dark Knight Rises novelization. And that's been the case with several other movies as well.

It's just as infested with rumors and speculation as the rest of the internet.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

And remember, for the longest time, IMDB's page for Nemesis had listed every actor who ever played a Romulan on TNG, and none of them were in the movie.

13. Greg Cox

It was the same way with the Underworld sequels. Prior to their release, the IMDB listings would routinely include fan-favorite characters and actors who didn't actually return for this or that sequel. It was all wishful thinking and speculation.

"Well, they have to bring So-and-So back, right? So let's just include them in the credits."

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

We all did.

I'm looking at you, Matthew Modine. :p

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Samuel L. Jackson was listed as Rose's Husband Bernard on LOST, before the Character was introduced

16. mkoszegi

mkoszegi Cadet Newbie

"It seems like the speculation that the villain in STID is Khan has been going on since before the movie was even planned. I have one question for those of you who still support this theory: WHY SHOULD IT BE HIM?"

It could be him, unless it is just a coincidence that the character, Harrison, was in Space Seed and shall be in STID. Another duo-point of suspiciousness: Abrams trickiness and the idea of Benecio Del Toro being the first choice for the villain (one who could actually swing the role effectively). I wouldn't put it past trickster Abrams to have hired Del Toro on the sly, getting Cumberback to humble himself for the good of the cause a la the eventual unveiling of the head-villian, yeah, Khan. His story need not be over in an alternate dimension--all that dismissive talk about how a new series of circumstances couldn't yield a great movie with Khan is more ridiculous than the proposition itself: that Khan shouldn't be thought of as the villian in STID.