Trip & T'Pol Appreciation Society, 2010 Edition

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Aquarius, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Moichino

Moichino Cadet Newbie

Loved the new book too - got it on the first day out and devoured it. Now I'm dieing for the next one!

Trip and T'Pol are probably the best trek couple - Connor Trinneer was simply fantastic as Cmdr. Tucker. He and Blalock were great together.

2. Aquarius

Aquarius Commander Red Shirt

Michael Martin has indicated that this may be a problem -- there may not be any more Enterprise books. While there's been no official announcement, there are some kind of bad signs over at the publisher. Personnel changes, cutbacks, reduction in the frequency of the publication of the books, etc. And it's not just the Enterprise books. All the Star Trek books are threatened, but since Enterprise has historically been the redheaded stepchild of the franchise, it appears to be in the most danger.

At the Delphic Expanse, we're trying to do something about it by letting the publisher know how we feel and telling them we want more -- before there's any kind of announcement about there being no more books or that there'll be even more cutbacks. If you'd like to get involved and let them know you want more TnT, you can find information here: http://www.thedelphicexpanse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4289

Mods--I apologize if this seems like it's OT, but "no more books" = no more TnT, and as a fan that is my biggest motivation for trying to save the novels and encouraging others to get involved.

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but what?

4. Aquarius

Aquarius Commander Red Shirt

Some of our members have been in contact with Michael Martin and asked about the future of Enterprise books. While he'd love to do more, the gist of his answer was "don't hold your breath."

Also, within the last year/year and a half, other things have gone on -- changes in the editorial staff, putting the kibosh on one of Martin's books, and other things. You can find more info here http://www.thedelphicexpanse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3465 where we've been discussing what we know and planning our strategies.

And as I said, nothing has been directly stated about the future of Enterprise or any other Star Trek books, but the idea is to let them know we love the books and want more *before* any irreversible decisions are made by the publisher.

Again, for the sake of keeping things on topic, I mention this because no more books basically equals no more TnT. If anyone wants more info they should read the links I've provided for themselves, and contact us with questions.

5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean, it's common knowledge over in the TrekLit forum, and in the Trek Lit fandom in general, that the ENT novels haven't been selling well and that we may not see more after TO BRAVE THE STORM because of that. (At least not for a long time -- the STAR TREK lines are such that they needn't be "cancelled;" a book might come out years after the last one did, not because the line for that particular TREK series was cancelled, but just because they stopped making them for a while and then later resumed. It's not like a TV series where they ever have to maintain a consistent schedule or else it's "done;" so long as the publisher has the license to publish books based on the ENT series, more can always come out.)

But the idea that the STAR TREK line in general is threatened is just kinda -- well, it's silly. There's been no indication of such. The "cutbacks" you're referring to happened in 2007 -- four years ago. The editorial turnover also happened a long time ago; Marco Palmieri was laid off in late 2008 because of the recession, and then Margaret Clark in mid-2009. Jaimie Costas took over for a while, but then left for maternity leave and chose not to return. But that was almost two years ago; no one's left since.

The third ENT: ROMULAN WAR book was cancelled because of low demand for that particular series; there's been no indication that this is true of the rest of the STAR TREK lines.

6. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

Thanks for bringing us up to speed, Sci. :)

No problem.

We could use more pictures, tho :biggrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. lfvoy

lfvoy Ensign Newbie

(delete)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  8. lfvoy

lfvoy Ensign Newbie

Re: TnT appreciaton thread?

The photographer in me thinks it's also a reverse angle. Do we have any information about the production stills other than the fact that they are production stills? They are absolutely awesome and I'd love to know more.

(FYI sorry for the double post -- my earlier one was actually intended for another thread.)

9. TrekFan70

TrekFan70 Ensign

It's a shame Enterprise was cancelled. Looking at the posts here refires the ol' Trip/T'Pol fire for me. I would have liked to have seen more from the series. It felt like just as they finally started to get their stride with things, just as the series began to really establish itself it was cancelled. I almost gave up on it but then kept watching (mostly because I just adored Connor Trinner and on that note - LOVED him in Stargate Atlantis )

I was hoping to see the show get picked up for a 5th season and saddened when the news came out that Enterprise was over.

I would have liked to have seen what they could have accomplished if they'd have had the time and opportunity with Manny Coto at the reins.

10. HopefulRomantic

Welcome, TrekFan70! It's great to have another Trip/T'Pol fan aboard. :)

11. HopefulRomantic

For my fellow Trip/T'Polers, here is the 2012 Edition of HR's Enterprise Calendar featuring our lovebirds.

Trip & T'Pol 2012 Calendar

Click on the link in my sig for more calendars. The coding on the website is a little screwy, but the links to the calendar pages work fine.

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

HR Thank your for the Lovely Trip&T'Pol calendar I love the pictures you chose They're some of my favorite pictues of TNT.:luvlove::adore::angel::biggrin:

13. Toolfriend

Toolfriend Ensign Red Shirt

What episode is this from please?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2014
  14. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hi new fan here. I was just curious: what episode or episodes did they first have Trip and T'Pol get together or whatever they did to become a supercouple?
    Thanks!

15. HopefulRomantic

That's from "The Xindi," the first episode of Season 3.

Supercouple, that's nice. :) I don't know which episodes you've seen, and I don't want to spoil you, so here goes:

One of the early episodes in which the initial conflict between Trip and T'Pol started to ease is "Breaking the Ice" (1x08), in which events get them to start seeing each other as co-workers and potential friends, rather than simply adversaries.

The next significant development comes at the end of Season 2 ("The Expanse"), when Trip suffers a family tragedy and needs help dealing with nightmares and insomnia (3x01, "The Xindi"). Phlox does a bit of clandestine matchmaking and gets T'Pol to apply a sort of Vulcan massage called neuropressure to help Trip sleep (see picture above). Their friendship and trust solidifies.

There are several episodes that build on their developing relationship, including "Extinction" (3x03), "Rajiin" (3x04), and especially "Similitude" (3x10). Then comes "Harbinger" (3x15), in which they get together, sort of. The rest of Season 3 follows their rocky relationship, which smooths out nicely by the end of Season 3.

Then in Season 4, the writers toss out all the setup and potential of Season 3 by throwing in a plot device-- er, obstacle to their happiness (4x03, "Home"). [Forgive my highly biased commentary - this was just SO contrived from a structural standpoint.] There is a little well-done pathos and a lot of artificial plot contrivance over the course of Season 4, until "Affliction"/"Divergence" (4x15-4x16) and "Bound" (4x17), when Trip and T'Pol's relationship gets back on track, sort of. They are brought closer together by another tragedy in "Demons"/"Terra Prime" (4x20-4x21), and there's a nice resolution that indicates they will grow closer.

I don't count the last hour, "These Are The Voyages," a renegade TNG episode which conflicts completely with "Terra Prime" (not to mention the TNG episode on which it is allegedly based) and makes almost zero sense with regard to plot, story structure, or established character development. For all the characters, not just Trip and T'Pol. If you watch it, view it as a poorly-researched holodeck program put together by Lt. Barclay during a drunken binge in order to punk Riker.

And welcome to Trip/T'Pol wonderfulness. :)

16. CaptainMatt

Ok thanks so very much for all your hard work there! I duly appreciate it. I have indeed not seen much of the series but am hoing to see more in....the future!!

I have seen "These Are the Voyages" and thought it played out like a TNG mini-reunion piece than a proper finale for ENT.

I am however a huge new fan of Trip and T'Pol so thank you kindly for the welcome.

P.S. Where oh Where did Aquarius get that image for the avatar he or she is using?

17. HopefulRomantic

We love to have new Trip/T'Pol fans here! That recap was a nice walk down memory lane for me. :) And feel free to share your views of T/T as you watch the series.

She might have gotten it from TrekCore:
    http://ent.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/3x19/Damage_233.JPG

It's a good place to get screencaps if you don't make them yourself. T/T shippers have much more extensive collections of T/T images :biggrin: if you're looking for something specific.

18. star

star Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome, welcome. Trip & T'Pol are the first couple I've ever 'shipped--on any series or film, ever. (I'm somewhat of a cynic when it comes to romance.) They are a rather compelling pairing. :D

19. CaptainMatt

Thanks my friends for your words of welcome and encouragement.
    I watched 3 episodes of ENT tonight from Season 4:

the conclusion to the Augments and then two-thirds of the Vulcan Forge storyline which featured T'Pol quite heavily, even if she was not near Trip much in these episodes. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out next episode which I should get into tomorrow! Woo!

20. HopefulRomantic

^^ Agreed, the Vulcan arc is a great storyline for T'Pol.

Since we don't have a T'Pol appreciation thread going, but we clearly have T'Pol appreciation aplenty in this thread, I'll just slip this in here...

T'Pol 2012 Calendar