DS9 on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by borgboy, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

True, but if all you're doing is upscaling the SD masters, throwing a lot of money at the project isn't going to make much of a difference.

2. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

No official explanation was ever given regarding its closure. And since the question of adding "IMHOs" has popped up in this thread, I merely provided an example that it could be necessary.

Bob

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I wasn't kidding Bob. I've alerted the DS9 mod. You can either edit your post to remove the link to my post, or the mod will do it. As I said, if you have something to say to me, PM me.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well hopefully by the end of the summer early Autumn at the latest they'll hav an announcement.

5. Shatna

Shatna Grand Lord Admiral Admiral

This thread isn't about why other threads were closed. So let's drop it and get back to the discussion, okay? (And for the record, I personally have no idea why that thread was closed, I have been absent of late, which I am rectifying as of this post.)

6. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

If CBS does give us DS9 on blu, I hope they do it exactly the way the did with TNG. Using all the original resources when possible and simply giving them that little extra punch that they've managed to give all the reconstructed fx in TNG. The work on that show looks stunning with the recomposited work, especially when it is done properly by CBS and not the likes of HTV-Illuminate...although Modern Video did a decent enough job that I didn't skip the set like I did with Season 2.

Yup, if CBS does DS9 the same...consider my money in their pocket.

7. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

That's correct. In fact my understanding based on what I've read in the DS9 Companion is that CGI wasn't even used extensively until late in the 5th season of the show. Even the big Klingon battle in Way of the Warrior was all motion control model work.

My gut tells me DS9 will get blu ray treatment my guess is we'll know more as we get closer to the release of TNG's final season which will be before Christmas this year.

8. Robert Comsol

Strange, I could have sworn I saw an X-Files screencap posted in this thread a couple of days ago.

Anyway, here is a link that illustrates the issue. In another it's said that X-Files had been "protected" for widescreen, yet the screencap comparison in the first link clearly shows that the X-Files HD extraction was apparently possible by utilizing extra areas on the left from the (4:3?) camera negative outside the "safe action" area (i.e. almost looks to me that X-Files was just 4:3, too).

It looks as if Fox is going for X-Files (originally broadcasted in 4:3) in widescreen, so how could this affect decisions by CBS Home Entertainment regarding the aspect ratio for DS9 on Blu-ray? :confused:

(IIRC, X-Files, DS9 and B5 were competing in the 1990's)

Bob

9. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The aspect ratio will be 4:3 for the shows until VOY, because of the same reasons TNG is in 4:3. The only question will be, if the special effect shots will be upscaled from 480i to 1080p like the X-Files transfer does, just because it will be a lot cheaper and quicker.

10. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

One drawback: it looks like shit.

11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I would be very surprised if that happened. I think that if they decide to pull the trigger on remastering the rest of Trek then they will do it right.

12. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I asked Rick Berman on Twitter recently, whether either DS9 or Voyager were ever protected for 16:9. This is what he answered:

DS9 and Voyager were framed with 16/9 in mind...somewhere down the road. Enterprise was shot mostly digital with 16/9 a sure bet.

13. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Well, if his definition of mostly is a 1/4, that's true. Only S4 was shot on digital.

14. Robert Comsol

You sound confident, but can you be sure? Back in 2011 there was a special behind closed doors presentation at CBS Home Entertainment with a TNG episode (my bet: "Sins of the Father") presented in both 1.33:1 and 1.78:1.

And this is what one of the eyewitnesses reported: https://twitter.com/BurnettRM/status/115704626669551616

Eventually, the decision was made on behalf of 4:3.

In the case of DS9, as Rick Berman correctly remembered, the series was shot with a 16:9 image extraction in mind in the later seasons (not too dissimilar from the Super35 camera process).

Maybe I lack imagination, but I'd find it hard to believe that DS9 on Blu-ray will have a 4:3 aspect ratio in the first seasons and then switch to 16:9 in the last three or two.

I think a decision will be made for the entirety of the Blu-ray release and should X-Files be presented in 16:9 on Blu-ray, CBS Home Entertainment may probably be compelled to consider that format as an option for DS9, too.

What I'm trying to recommend here is that each and everyone of us should think hard an twice before bashing CBS in case they should go for DS9 in 16:9.

Should the fanbase create a "shitstorm" CBS might be inclined to just push the "Off" button, and that might be it for DS9 in high definition.

Maybe we do get to see a 1.33:1 vs. 1.78:1 demo (an opportunity we never had regarding TNG). I can only speak for myself, but I'd be waiting, first, to see such a demo before casting judgement. :)

Bob

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

And for good reasons.

16. Robert Comsol

^^ Absolutely, there were many good artistic reasons, the vocal majority of fans demanded 4:3, and thus put CBS Home Entertainment in the comfortable position to sell TNG-R in 4:3 first plus keep the option for a later release in widescreen.

However, I don't think it's a smart thing to limit your options, and felt some comments of people closely involved with the remastering project to be too close to unnecessary 16:9 bashing.

For the sleeper ship in "The Neutral Zone" elements were missing for 16:9 image extraction, but to claim that they couldn't use the spacedock widescreen footage from ST III-TSFS because the Enterprise-D VFX shot only existed in 4:3 and its edges had been cut off, had an intelligence insulting connotation, IMHO - Because they had a close to perfect CGI recreation of the Enterprise-D, already used in "Farpoint" they could have just used to overcome the deficiency of the Starbase 74 entering Enterprise-D VFX shot.

Bob

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why not? That's what Fox did with Angel.

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I seriously doubt a few fans whining online will change their plans.

19. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In reference to Burnett's comment, I would strongly vote 4x3. I'm not interested in seeing actors' shoulders and tops of heads cropped out of the frame.

Just hit the zoom button on your BD player and see how long it takes before it gets irritating.

15 years ago, consumers had to fight ignorance and stop studios from cropping 16x9/scope movies to 4x3. Now we have to do the opposite and fight ignorance on cropping 4x3 to 16x9.

Is it 'fair' to today's audiences that movies like Casablanca aren't available in 16x9? :rolleyes:

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

There were just as many people clamoring for a 16x9 version.

The mandate was to use CGI only when necessary elements were missing.

Plus, as you've no doubt read, the show was filmed as 4x3...in that the cropped image area was often filled with empty space and/or filming equipment. Just because they filmed extra space, doesn't make it usable.

Exactly this.