Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gojira, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

True, just wasn't sure they would literally go with his largest size range. Still, this should make the 3D experience pretty awesome.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

So far, it sounds like this movie has a good chance of living up to my hopes in most respects. Which just leaves one outstanding question:

Will we hear the Akira Ifukube themes?

3. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Fingers crossed.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Probably over the closing credits like Star Trek '09

5. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sorta hoping we get it at the beginning during the 1954 sequence. Also, a version of the Empire Magazine cover without text:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just fired off the final revisions to the novelization . . ..

7. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I don't see them ... shouldn't you have posted them here first?

:shifty:

Congrats on finishing, btw. I'm looking forward to reading it. I'll likely end up buying the e-book version (after seeing the film).

8. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I was watching a commercial for chicken nuggets that had the Godzilla roar, but I don't know what company that was, maybe Sonic?

10. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

There may be a little something to that.

Godzilla was described as "a cross between a gorilla and a whale" as per the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla

And so help me, there is this mammalian hint that comes across, at least to me. The 1998 was clearly a therapod with a lantern jaw--but this 'zilla is a chimera for sure.

12. Christopher

That's the source of his name -- gorira (gorilla) plus kujira (whale). One version claims "Gojira" was the nickname of a particularly large Toho stagehand or something. In any case, the name was chosen before the creature was designed and doesn't seem to be intended as a literal descriptor of his appearance. He's always been consistently described in the films as a dinosaur; in the original Showa-era continuity he was supposedly a "living fossil" of a hitherto-unknown dinosaurian species, while in the rebooted Heisei-era continuity he was retconned as a radiation-mutated carnosaur. There has always been a certain mammalian/anthropomorphic quality to his design, though.

Still, that's not what the posts you quoted were talking about. We were discussing "man-in-suit" as a function of execution/technique rather than design.

13. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Godzilla has always had mammalian qualities. From his ears, to his snout, to his intelligence.

14. Captain_Amasov

Interestingly they've even used eagle for some of his facial expressions in this film according to the director.

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

16. Christopher

Well, Anguirus is of course an Ankylosaur. Another way of transliterating it is Angilas (angirasu) -- it's basically just "Ankylosaur" in Japanese phonetics and minus the last syllable. Just as Rodan is really Radon, which is short for pteranodon. (They changed the name for the US version because there was some kind of soap or something at the time called Radon. Now we know it better as the name of a toxic element.)

17. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Christopher is correct, but in the American version of teh second movie called Godzilla Raids Again, Godzilla was quiet is a few scenes so they added Anguirus' roar to those scenes.

18. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Oh, stop tempting us.

19. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Speculation corner: but was wondering from trailer, why Vegas of all places should be trashed? (San Francisco as Pacific rim city makes sense). Perhaps US had one of the new/unseen kaiju in Area 51, possibly a mutant deterrent to Godzilla. And of course we all know how well that sort of plan pans out :). But like I said, idle speculation...

20. Captain_Amasov

The film ends in San Francisco, so it could be like you said, that one of the monsters is already trashing Nevada and has then proceeded on to San Francisco by the time Godzilla shows up.