MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

So MLB suspended him for admitting it not because he did it? Does that really make sense. Five games for honesty? If you were to say that intentionally hitting another player is never allowed, I would at least say that might make some sense.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Being a six-year veteran means you're "practically a rookie?" If you live on a planet where crack grows on trees, maybe.

In any event, Hamels is a moron. Not because he admitted to hitting Harper intentionally (please don't babble about "the code" or some crap like that), but because this was about him wanting to be the guy who put the cocky teenage phenom in his place, since this teenager needed to be put in his place for some inexplicable reason. Hamels probably decided he was going to do it when stories about Harper's arrogance in the minors were surfacing. Hamels is an idiot, plain and simple. When Bryce fucking Harper comes out looking like the cool, non-dickish dude in a situation, you know something is wrong.

The Phillies have been throwing at batters for years (and it's not just the pitchers; Rollins and especially Victorino are cheap-shot guys on the bases); I'm just glad one of them got called out for it.

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Aw, man. That's too bad. RIP. :(

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

RIP Mr. Beane. :sigh:

6. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Very sad to hear that, They had a nice tribute to him at Fenway today. On a side note, a really cool thing happen before the Braves-Cubs game today. They gave Chipper Jones the Braves standing flag to Chipper, which I think is a very classy move.

I ment during the broadcast, I know they are away.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  7. Tom Hendricks

Bryce Harper hit his first home run last night, a shot to dead center field. He ran around the bases like a rookie should, then the crowd demanded a curtain call. I wonder how his next ten years in baseball will shake out.

8. Timby

God, Major League Baseball is so fucking petty. Turns out they fired Shyam Das, who had been the league's chief arbitrator since 1999. "What's that? You overturn our suspension of this guy on a chain-of-custody issue? FUCK OFF YOU'RE FIRED! [​IMG]"

9. Tom Hendricks

Does his firing really upset you that much, did you even know his name before the story hit? MLB has decided that they didn't like some of the decisions he was making, so they decided to make a change. No big deal, happens all the time.

10. Timby

Yes, and yes.

What a ridiculous assertion. This isn't the first time MLB has sacked an arbitrator (Peter Seitz was fired after he effectively nullified the reserve clause in 1975; Thomas Roberts lost his job after ruling against owners in the 1985 - 86 collusion case), and it sends a chilling message each time it happens. The whole point of including binding arbitration as part of the collective bargaining agreement is to have an impartial third party as the ultimate decision-maker in the event that a dispute can't be settled. MLB's pettiness essentially says, "Issue a ruling we don't like, and we will replace you."

MLB has been livid ever since the Braun decision came down (Rob Manfred said on more than one occasion that the league was exploring "all options" in response to the ruling), so the firing isn't surprising -- just absurd. I think it's pretty clear that Braun didn't make an actual innocence defense, only a non-malicious procedural flaw, which is fine, that's how the system is supposed to work since both parties collectively bargained it to work that way, but it only works that way because neither side actually gives a shit about eradicating PED usage.

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

While thing is retarded anyway. It's a 3-member team that decides on suspensions. 1 is a MLB rep, votes to suspend every time. 1 is Player's Union rep, votes to overturn every time. So basically, despite all this crap about a committee, it's just basically whatever this one guy thinks...

12. Mr. Laser Beam

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ That was strange.

Watched a clip of Brett Lawrie bouncing his batting helmet off the ump.

They said "during the Jays-Rays game...." and all I could think was "well you can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, but you doesn't have to call me Mister Johnson...."

14. Mr. Laser Beam

I honestly had no idea it was possible to pass out from being hit in the *arm*. But you saw how the ball left its imprint...guess anything's possible.

Also: Rhymes said that when he came to, he told people he was Batman just to mess with their heads. They should give him that nickname for the rest of his career. :lol:

If you're thinking of the Bob Uecker commercial I think you are, I thought it was "you can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Billy..."

15. Tom Hendricks

I watched that the other day, while the 3-1 pitch was a ball. The pitch he was called out on was border line. However I think that Lawrie was still upset about the call before. Unfortunately for him, the helmet bounced up and struck the Ump. I'm sure it was unintentional and four games is a bit much, but thats the way the helmet bounces.

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I was actually thinking about the original Ray Jay Johnson schtick. Unless he was in the commercial.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoYsfbq3vMc[/YT]

17. Timby

Lawrie threw equipment, on the field, that struck an umpire, while acting and speaking aggressively toward the same umpire. The suspension was completely deserved. He wasn't suspended for showing emotion, or playing hard, or anything like that.

A player is responsible for his actions on the field. Lawrie threw his helmet in the direction of the umpire and it landed really close to the umpire's feet, regardless of the bounce. Unacceptable. If he had thrown it at the dugout and it took the wackiest bounce in recorded history, that's a different story. But being a crying manchild and throwing your helmet down hard within inches of an umpire you are in the process of (and continuing to) scream and carry on at ... no. Can't be allowed. At all.

The bigger issue is with how arbitrary MLB suspension lengths are, more than the action itself. League officials pretty much just conjured the number up out of thin air, which is starting to become quite a noticeable, and disturbing, trend (and further illustrates just how bothersome the termination of Shyam Das is -- MLB doesn't give a shit about due process, it just does what it wants).

18. Tom Hendricks

I did't say he shouldn't be suspended, just thought that four days suspension was a bit much for the infraction. I thought he would get two days or maybe three. Which is not that far off from the four, just what I was imagining from the incident. The helmet barely grazed him. Hitters throw helmets and bats all the time, usually without hitting an Ump or another player. Also it wasn't like he intentionally threw the helmet at the Ump, would you say it was intentional? Do you think what he did is as bad as when Alomar spit in the Ump face, he got 5 days. The opinion about the four days is mine alone, its neither right or wrongs just an opinion. If you read the last part of my statement, I say "Thats how the helmet bounces." Meaning while I may not agree 100%, I'm fine with it. Seeing as how you pounce on what ever I say, I think you just itch for some sort of confrontation instead of a discussion. I have no problem with disagreements, just a lot of your aggressions are uncalled for. I actually agree with a lot of things you say, we disagree on some minor issues.

I agree with you about the arbitrary nature of suspension, however the reason for that is usually the arbitrary nature of the infractions. While most infractions maybe similar, its the little difference that make the difference in how the suspension is handed out. It also depends on who we are talking about, which player. Another thing is the suspension of players like Pitchers, is it really fair to suspend a pitcher for 5 days and it not really affect his ability to pitch. Teams can just change the amount of rest and he still pitches next time. However I think for most common infractions they should have a standard policy for suspensions. You charge the mound, its X numbers of games. So players know what they are going to loose.

19. Timby

Kerry Wood retired today after recording a strikeout with a fucking filthy curveball.

That's the way it should be. :)

20. Tom Hendricks

I agree, probably the best way to go out. I have to say this maybe one of the best retirement stories in baseball. Immensely classy all the way around, from the Cubs and Kerry. It was very heart warming to me.