Re-booting TNG For TV?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Jetfire, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually thinking about it a CGI animated trek might turn out more like Green Lantern TAS as Clone Wars is paid for out of Lucas's pocket from what I hear.

Thats a great idea to get japan to do it, from what I've seen of some of their space shows they seem to want to do it a lot seeing as how close some of them are to trek. They just have to remember that not the entire federation is evil douchebags just some of the ones Kirk and co come into conflict with.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it's on The Cartoon Network, it needs to appeal to kids (which doesn't rule out appealing to adults). Just look at the ads they run, that tells you who they're programming for. I'm not in the market for a Lego set for building Transformer characters, sorry.

Even if a Star Trek series on TCN also appealed to adults, the kid appeal would be the factor that determines its survival, since the kid audience is what the advertisers want. The adult audience is just a bunch of free-riders.
    The Clone Wars doesn't turn a profit in its own right? That's surprising, animation isn't that expensive and the ratings are strong. (Even if the series serves chiefly as advertising for Star Wars toys, that's also a legit way to finance a series. Maybe Star Trek needs to start putting more effort into merchandising to kids, which would include an animated series to boost the market.)

3. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sure The Clone Wars is turning a profit for everyone, otherwise it would be off the air. What I think he means is that Lucas financed the production and then sold the complete show to CN as opposed to other shows which require the license fee to pay for the initial production.

4. Dr. Crusher

Dr. Crusher Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It is a little early, I think, to "reboot" TNG for anything, TV or movies. The show finished its run on TV only about 18 years ago. TNG is still fresh enough that it would be impossible to sit and watch the show without comparing it to the original. TOS could get rebooted in movie form not just because it has been about 45 years since the original aired, but because the whole approach to its presentation changed. TOS looks different because technology has improved, of course, but also because what we're looking for in science fiction has also changed. It hasn't been long enough to achieve that same turnover with TNG. Perhaps in another 20 years TNG could be rebooted with a completely different approach, if that approach is there to be tapped for it.

5. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Well, I pride myself on NOT being the average American, and have watched many animated series, from both Japan and France, that blows away pretty much anything live action made here.

Some fine examples are:

Goshogun: The Time Entangler
    Appleseed
    Night Walker
    Full Metal Alchemist
    Akira

And that's just a few.

And Cartoon Network's overrated. I think there outta be an animated channel that shows all sorts of animation that is not relegated to a few watered down, censored animes in the feeble attempt to satisfy the the more discriminating crowd, or showing stuff that appeals to the Sponge Bob Brigade. :p

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

If there were to be an animated TNG series, I think it unlikely that the middle-aged (at least!) crew of Picard, Riker etc would not appeal to the youthful demographic who mainly watch animated shows. Yes, I know that the likes of the Clone Wars or the Dini-verse DC shows are very, very good and don't just appeal to kids. But let's face it, that's where an animated show largely finds its audience in the West.

One option would be to take a Lower Decks approach. Set the show on the ENT-D or E but have the focus mainly on a bunch of ensigns and cadets, with the bridge crew as supporting characters. That way you'd feature the classic crew but have a youthful bunch for younger viewers to identify with.

7. The Castellan

Us westerners need to yank that broom stick out of our asses. :rolleyes:

8. Captaindemotion

^ No argument here. But sometimes you have to deal with the world as it is, not how as we'd like it to be.

9. The Castellan

Well, Star Wars is full of old guys, and the kids seem fine with that.

Same can be said with the lower decks stuff....I doubt Star Wars fans or kids want to see a bunch of padawan kids being shoved into the academy. Speaking of that....it feels that would be Jedi kids seem to be, well, drafted into the Jedi leagues.

And as for the world being whatever....instead of simply accepting it, one can tell it what one thinks, and maybe make a change. I mean, Doctor Who, before it was created, was looked at by network suits as rubbish. Or Comedy central, for years, refusing to give Jeff Dunham any time of day, and they were the ones with egg on their faces when they saw the ratings of his first show they let him do, and the following DVD sales.

Hell, one guy is making a Doctor Who anime, and it's one of the most Doctor Who like stories I've ever seen, moreso than anything Moffet of Davis made, so far, according to many, and it's all animated and in anime style. And trust me, from what I've seen, it would easily appeal to older crowds......John Pertwee, a buxom red haired chick who's outfit leaves little to the imagination, Daleks fight Cybermen as well as the Doc himself, well planned action scenes, and some of the most disturbing depictions of creating Cybermen, and what's in their bodies I myself have seen.

I think, with good writers who care for Trek, Roddenberry's vision of a better life, good animators, an animated Trek would work...that both the devoted Trek fan and Joe Sixpack can both like.:bolian:

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only reason why Star Trek would or should be made animation style is if The Cartoon Network is interested in it. Therefore, the shows that are already on The Cartoon Network are the relevant reference point. Shows made in Japan are not relevant. This is not about artistry or quality, it's about a cold-blooded business decision.

I'd rather have live-action Star Trek. Animation is only preferable if it's the only way it will happen at all.

11. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What if it were a romantic comedy about a hockey coach at a boys boarding school in space? They could get Matt Leblanc to star and call it Pucks.

12. The Castellan

Which is why most television and films suck these days....no substance to them at all, just pumping out more products, all quantity and little to no quality. If it's all about that, Hollywood's no getting my money, and I am sure there are others who think the same. Why do you think that I have not paid for a movie ticket in about 10 years? There's nothing catches my attention. It's mainly been either sci-fi books, or my paranormal research that's been keeping me going.

I recommend you look up some of the animations I mentioned and feel free to do some research yourself, you'll be pretty impressed, and from reading your past posts, surprised, at what you'll see. If you stop looking at it through a cold hard business point of view, what you'll be seeing will be more enjoyable. Especially since all that's on TV these days is either trashy reality shows, TMZ brain numbness, or sports.

13. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Anime is extremely limited and low budget animation; why would anyone want that? Might as well remake TAS.

14. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

I could never understand why JJ Abrams couldn't have done a continuation instead of a alternate universe TOS movie? I think the movie could have been a kind of rip off of Space Battleship Yamato ( Star Blazers in the US) and just placed the movie 100 years or more in TNG future with Earth devastated from war and a new Enterprise is built on the Earth's surface to go after the Romulan (or other enemy) from the future. Pine's Kirk could have been a relative and Quintos Spock could have been a child of Spock's.

The movie could have been filmed as is, just changed the names of some of the characters.

So instead of rebooting TNG, continue on beyond it. On a side note I would love to see a series based on the Titan showing whats going on in the TRek universe 10 or 20 years after Nemesis.

15. The Castellan

I seen quite a few nice ones. :cool:

16. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

I would a new TNG show, it is joint best show to DS9 IMO, but it was the show that made me a Trekkie so it will always have a place in my heart. :techman:

It could revitalise the franchise though. DS9 as said was quality, but has no pop culture appeal. Of all the modern Treks, TNG is the one the man on the street knows the most about (DS9, Voyager and Enterprise are similar to say Stargate SG-1 in the average person's eyes, just with cult followings).

So as TNG is, in the public's eyes, the most known modern Trek series this is a plus in terms of promotion. People will tune in to see if Picard, Data, Worf, etc. are still the same. The issue would be if the level of storytelling could cut it, as well as the acting standards. But in money making terms, it's as good as any other IMO. Paramount may see it as a less risky venture than making an entirely new series with a unique setting/premise.

17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think the decision to do a movie reboot of TOS was made before Abrams was hired by the suits at Paramount. The decision to make it an alternate universe came once Orci and the gang came onboard with Abrams, IMO.

18. Captaindemotion

Probably because after the relative success of First Contact each continuation movie made less money than the one that had gobe before it. INS made less than FC, NEM made less than INS. The mainstream cinema-goer, whose attendance is needed to make a movie a hit, didn't care about seeing what happened next in the 24th or 25th centuries.

19. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

But usually a reboot is done when a franchise is ailing to begin with. Rebooting Trek is like trying to redesign a bird, or a great bird in this case. It ought not be done. I don't know how the history of TOS interferes with a prequil. I would think that 'baggage' as RDM so quaintly put it, would enhance it. The blind (bling?) leading the blind. Ship of fools and the golden goose. Now more like the keystone cops and little lord fonteroy (except he's sadistic) with a little of the good son (McCauley Culkin?) thrown in.

20. Captaindemotion

^ Trek was ailing or hadn't you noticed?! Nemesis flopped at the cinema. Enterprise became the first tv show since the first one to be cancelled, lasting 3 seasons less than the 7 its 3 predecessors ran for. And neither DS9 or VOY had been as big a hit as TNG. You think that's all healthy?