Firefly first-time/rewatch (NO SPOILERS, please)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by lurok, Nov 11, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes it crams a lot in! But they all do, not really any filler eps because the characters and bigger picture is always being steadily advanced even if that's not the main story for an episode.

I'm very much enjoying my rewatch, the visuals and sets are so rich that I notice new things every time.

And..

[​IMG]

2. teacake

Oh I agree, I completely buy him being 27, it's just he's a young looking 27. Kaylee even comments on this.

3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Ya know, that CAN'T be good for the engine. :lol:

4. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good analysis. Glad to see someone gets it.

The thug's name was Crow, by the way.

5. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mal's chronological age is irrelevant. He spent a big part of his life fighting a war, and a big part if that commanding others. If he's not old in years, he is in life experience.

The fact that he refers to others as "son" or "boy" only emphasizes his war-weary attitude. I thought it was obvious.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, Simon was 27 going on 18, and Mal was 31, going on 45

7. teacake

Yep, that's it.

As to the "son", he's just letting this man who in any other setting would be far above him in privilege and social standing know that's worth jack on his ship. He lets Book know the same thing right from the start, that being a preacher is worth exactly nothing.

8. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

Obvious, yes. Believable, not really. The actor doesn't really look war-weary, does he? He's a guy your mum would love you to bring home. He kinda reminds me of Michael J. Fox.

But it's not only the actor. The character itself is not very constant. It doesn't make sense to see the war-weary guy act rather infantile when he's around Inara. Who exactly is socially inept again...?

9. teacake

We are two episodes in. God help most of Star Trek if the characters are judged on that.

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

It's in interesting internet phenomenon, isn't it? You'll hear someone say about a show they like: "You can't judge a new show by its first couple of seasons, it take 3 seasons to get its legs." But two episodes into a new show they don't like you'll hear the same person say "This sucks, it should be cancelled!" :lol:

11. Miss Lemon

I thought that was the whole point of this thread, judging the episodes one by one. :p

I'm currently rewatching VOY and I was actually kinda surprised to see how well these characters worked together right from the start.

12. teacake

It just seems odd to me to say characters don't work so early on because with most shows the conflicts or behaviors of characters are gradually explained as the show unfolds. It's like walking into a room with a bunch of strangers and seeing how they behave in certain ways and having no context yet.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  13. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if any of our first time watchers are watching episodes with the introduction to the show by Mal/Book that explains the basic premise. The episodes on Hulu have this but I don't think the dvd's do.

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Silly aside that this reminds me of: A friend was going to a party one evening. He walked in and found everyone sitting around staring, silent, not talking. He said "What is this, did somebody die?"

Yes, he was in the wrong house, and yes, it was a wake.

:rofl:

15. Miss Lemon

To me it seems odd that my somewhat critical review about this one character elicits reactions that might be interpreted as defensive. You are usually quite outspoken about your opinions yourself (poor Neelix comes to mind ;) ).

Are you saying you wouldn't formulate an opinion about these people before you knew their whole background story? That seem very unlikely. I'm sure you form an opinion the second you meet someone. We all do. Might have something to do with survival.

What I look for in a TV series is character development, so that's what I'll comment about. If I'm critical, it doesn't mean I won't be open to change my opinion in future.

Well, if I keep watching this show, that is. :p

16. teacake

I think I'm just war weary of the haters and it makes me notice people's seeming willingness to hate on stuff. As to Neelix, I'm mostly just having fun with him, I like him fine and have always defended him from the "should have gotten rid of Neelix" crowd. He's just easy to play with in the VOY forum which goes for the surreal at the best of times.

I realize you are commenting review style and not wanting to be filled in on the understanding that evolves for those of us who have seen the show.

And Forbin that is a terrible story!

17. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    This f/t watcher is strenuously avoiding everything other than episodes.

But....but...we need you, Miss Lemon :)

Surreal is an understatement :p

18. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

You are absolutely correct, additionally the DVD's do not have the cut scene shown before the commercials where they show the ship in the same way the name of the show is shown at the beginning. I didn't see the show during its original run and the DVD set was bought for me by a friend in a "pass-along if you like" deal. It wasn't until I watched a replay of the show on some long forgotten channel that I saw Mal's intro and those cut scenes.

19. Miss Lemon

Hate... ? Now I'm baffled... :confused:

I know I can be direct, but then again so many people on this board are rather blunt about their opinion. I'm curious to know what would make you interpret my first opinion about one little aspect of a TV series interpret as hate...?

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I could be wrong, but, I don't think Teacake was accusing you of "Hating", I think she was saying that she is so "on edge" because of the Haters that she over-reacted because those those raw nerves caused her to initially mistake your post as "hating".

BTW, Miss Lemon, your latest photo looks more like a young Dame Maggie then ever :bolian: