Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Daneel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: The latest "Alien" prequel rumours - Scott directing, in 3-D?

^^ Plus Harry Potter

2. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Re: 3D

Yes it was a slow start but even now in Europe deals are being made this week to get cinemas converted to digital 3D projection.

I suggested last month to possibly shoot the pilot for the next Star Trek TV series in 3D high definition and screen it at the cinema in 3D say a month before the series premieres as a promotional campaign. The rest of the series would be in shot 2D but it's an idea of how pilots can be made into limited screening events as any 3D digital cinema can play it and charge admission.

Sure the next Alien film should be shot in 3D it only adds to the illusion of science fiction set on a spaceship in outer space.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I don't understand the complaining about 3D. Its going to be a long, long time before every screening in every theater is 3D. I doubt that will ever completely happen. Right now my theater has Alice in 2D and 3D. If you don't like 3D don't watch the movies that way. Its simple!

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

For now it's simple. You can bet that for the big tentpole features, more and more screenings will be in 3-D. The money is just too good to pass up. But it will be a long time, if ever, before independent cinema starts using 3-D, or even smaller studio pictures.

We'll see how things stand in five or ten years, though...

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It may be a long while before independents and low-budget movies are recorded in or converted to 3D, but for both simplicity and economy's sake they will be distributed digitally rather than on film within a few years. Traditional film projection equipment will remain in one or two auditoriums of a few large multiplexes, in second-run and "art houses."

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Absolutely. Many independent films are shooting on digital already, so exhibiting in the format just makes it easier. Of course, I prefer celluloid, but what can you do?

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer good movies and don't care what they are filmed on. :lol:

8. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther

Sometimes I like 3-D but sometimes I don't. Avatar was awesome in 3-D and I can't imagine watching it in any other format. Meet the Robinsons & Toy Story were wastes of time in 3-D. I'm going to steer away from Alice in Wonderland in 3-D for a couple reasons. First, I'm not comfortable letting Tim Burton's imagination get that close to me. He's a genius but I don't think his brain is very sanitary. Second, I've been told that Alice herself was never shot in 3-D, simply upscaled into 3-D.

I have no problem with movies that are shot in 3-D but movies that were shot in 2-D and then converted into 3-D feel like a cheap gimmick.

9. Teelie

Teelie Vice Admiral Admiral

Not that it will ever matter (for the movies' continuity) but the latest AVP game has an ending that reveals the Weyland-Yutani Corporation discovers what is presumably the Alien homeworld. It's set in the future after Alien 3, and not disturb continuity for Resurrection if you wanted to preserve that.

There was also a few books that the homeworld was thought discovered but either turned out to be a massive infestation or something else. Fox wanted to keep the "mystique" of their origins a secret so the true answer was never known.

I wouldn't mind seeing something that takes place in the future as opposed to another prequel but in this case we've got Ridley Scott on board so at least there's that much.

10. jefferiestubes8

"Alien" prequel rumours

SOURCE via

11. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Re: "Alien" prequel rumours

Not something that I ever thought needed explaining.

12. kathrynJaneway2

kathrynJaneway2 Lieutenant Red Shirt

i think it would be interesting to see an alien movie in 3D as i bet it will be scary. but at the same point i dont believe that any more alien movies should be made, as i believe it wont be as good as the others. the last i heard sigourney weaver had actually refused to do another alien movie. as she beleived the 4 was enough. but this was a while ago and i know people change there minds. if there is money to be made from a 3D version of alien then they will probably do it.

13. jefferiestubes8

You have got to admit this is a little like George Lucas starting up the prequel in 1998 for Star Wars after not having done one for 15 years. Although there have been other Alien films Ridley Scott has not been involved in them and it will be 32 years since he's done the first one.

I wonder what kind of atmosphere Ridley Scott would have in this prequel film?
    horror & heavy tension like Alien (1979) or or more of a horror scifi film like Event Horizon (1997) or a glossier scifi film with some horror elements?

14. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Link

TWO prequels??

15. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Were the FX that bad in that movie?
    (BFE)

I never watched it after seeing paned worse than a Simon Cowel verbal bashing.

16. crouteru

crouteru Captain Captain

Re: "Alien" prequel rumours

I agree -- I think it's best left as a mystery. Trying to explain something like that will no doubt ruin some fans' expectations.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think given that this is Ridley Scott we're talking about, he deserves the benefit of the doubt. I mean just look at the man's filmography for goodness sake and it's not like he's made a habit of churning out sequals or spinoffs (crappy or otherwise) from any of his other films.

Hell if Ridley Scott made a prequel to 'Wizard of Oz' which explains how Dorothy ended up orphaned and colour blind, or a sequel to 'Seven Samurai' where the dead ones come back as zombies and start up barbershop quartet on a Mississippi steamboat, I'd go see them! ;)

18. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Scott talks about Alien prequel

Apologies if this is already posted

Linky

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

Well I'm gladd Scott is involved, but the prequel idea makes me nervous, and God does everything have to be in 3D now?

20. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

I wonder if Russell Crowe will be in it? ;)