Star Trek Movie FAQ - v 1.2.5 - updated 7/23/09

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Lord Garth, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

Re: Star Trek Movie FAQ

Nope, it's just that the movie mods are too lazy to edit and I think I approached them about it a grand total of once.

I can't edit posts (after a certain amount of time) in forums that aren't mine, the same as anyone else.

I suppose I could start a new thread that's almost the same as this one and have biggles or Wookie pin it, but it doesn't seem worth it for one question when all they need to do is edit this one. ;)

2. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

It's been fixed, so quityerbitchin. ;)

3. guardian

guardian Commodore

Saavik being half-Romulan isn't just in the script.....

It WAS filmed. There are at least half a dozen clips of this cut scene on Youtube.

Saying it was in the script without mentioning that it was actually filmed makes some folks think it was just an early idea that was dropped.

I have no doubt that Meyer, who supervised the re-edit of TWOK in 1985 for ABC TV, would have added the 25 second scene back in, if ST 3 hadn't debuted in 1984, with Nomoy's dulled down version of 'full Vulcan' Saavik.

I will always believe that Nomoy hated the fact that Saavik was a highly hyped and popular charactor and would interfere with his limelight in future Trek movies.

So he redefined her as a full (boring) Vulcan who was as interesting as sawdust. Voila, she quickly fades from emerging lead charactor to a footnote in Trek history.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

A very strong rumour about "how could Spock return?" after ST's premiere was that Spock implanted "Remember" into McCoy to tell him that Spock's life essence had been transferred to Saavik. It was no secret that Kirstie Alley had been groomed to be the replacement Vulcan.

And yes, I think the main reason we never saw that "half-Romulan" quote was because Nimoy himself had had the opportunity to retool the character for ST III.

Vonda McIntyre produced a minor miracle by making her novelizations of ST II and ST III seem so seamless!

Mind you, I have no problem believing that, as a result of Spock's death, Saavik reacted by going into "full Vulcan mode", tempering her own behaviour as she had not been able to do earlier.

5. digifan

digifan Commodore Commodore

According to the novelization of TWoK, Saavik had an impulsive fling with David and was pregnant with his baby in TSFS. Her mindmeld with young Spock on Genesis was to stablize his ordeal through pon farr. I don't accept the implimentation of Saavik becoming pregnant with nothing more than a few touches of the fingers. (The only time I had seen this happening was Miss Q and Q doing a quickie in The Q and the Grey but that is a different matter altogether. :lol: ) This may explain why she was hesitant when she wanted to tell Kirk about David in TVH and the dismissal glance Spock gave Saavik at the end of TSFS. IMO I like this explanation better than the nearly surreal scenario given in the script or the TVH commentary.

Just my two credits worth. However the debate continues.

6. cardinal biggles

So what, are you reading the special Canadian versions of these novelizations?

Umm, no. Saavik and David had a fling at the beginning of the TSFS novelization. Neither the TSFS novel nor the TVH novel mention her being pregnant with anybody's child.

What, you never heard of foreplay? :rolleyes:

Not to mention it doesn't have jack shit to do with anything.

More like Spock's glance kind of embarrassed her, because she knew what they'd done on Genesis. And her awkward goodbye to Kirk was probably awkward because they were discussing her "condition" before she tells him about David's brave death. But please, read things into it that aren't there. :techman:

Only in your head. :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  7. Therin of Andor

That was only the beginning of what went on offscreen.

And later, they both had a cigarette. ;) It was probably a stray ash from that encounter that caused the famous fire that William Shatner had to help put out, and was covered by "Entertainment Tonight"!

8. Son_of_Soong

Son_of_Soong Captain Captain

The child is mine okay? Granted I've only been here for a few days and I have no idea who the mother is, heck from my point of view the child hasnt even been conceieved yet. All I know is its mine and it timetravelled somehow.

9. cardinal biggles

Bumpety bumpety just to let you know that I updated this thing for the first time in a year and a half. :)

10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

Re: Star Trek Movie FAQ - v 1.2 - updated 1/4/09

You should remove my TrekBBS e-mail address from the very bottom of the FAQ, under the Disclaimer. It's not even active anymore. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009
  11. cardinal biggles

Re: Star Trek Movie FAQ - v 1.2 - updated 1/4/09

Good to see you again, LG. :)

12. Therin of Andor

Typo alert: it's Denny Martin Flinn, not Denny Martin Flynn.

13. cardinal biggles

Thank'ee. :)

14. cardinal biggles

The list in Part V has been revised to reflect Ricardo Montalban's death. :(

15. cardinal biggles

Minor update in Part VI to reflect the updated info about the Blu-ray boxed set.

16. cardinal biggles

Another update in Part VI to bring the Blu-ray info up to date.

17. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

ST XI begins in 2233.04, corresponding to January 2233.

So: TWOK, which begins with Kirk's birthday, takes place in January 228_.

I now think TWOK-TFF all take place during the same calendar year.

18. cardinal biggles

If it weren't for the vintage of the Romulan Ale (2283), 2283 would be as good a date as any for TWOK to begin — Kirk getting hung up about turning 50. Of course, for the time being, we're still trying to just keep this about the first ten.

19. Neftoon

Neftoon Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just in regards to khan recognizing chekov, if you look at the stardate for catspaw it places it before space speed chronologically, meaning in universe chekov was a member of the crew when khan took over the enterprise, meaning he probably would have seen his face when he went through the crew manifest.

20. Starborn Dragon

Starborn Dragon Captain

I have a response to data in Nemesis.

In nemesis he compares himself to B4 and says that he has no wish to aspire and to be a better person.

But I think Data is forgetting something.

People grow and develop at different rates Which is why you can have a fifteen year old with an IQ of 3945 ir a fifty year old with an IQ of 77. And of course, some people are incapable of growing, and others still simply like themselves the way they are.

And B4s positron matrix was less developed than Data.

But, we should all be given a chance to grow and to aspire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.