Why was the Enterprise.. [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M.A.C.O., Jun 11, 2013.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Why was the Enterprise parked at the bottom of the ocean? Kirk and crew wanted to stop a volcano from destroying a planet. Why did this necessitate bringing the Enterprise inside the planet's atmosphere?

I know size of the ship is still being fiercely debated but at 725 meters from the official source. That makes it larger than the Enterprise-E from TNG. With a ship that size, what was Kirk thinking putting it in a situation where it can be exposed like that. It's not like the transporters or shuttlecrafts weren't operable.

[​IMG]

Thoughts please.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps to study the marine life? It was a planetary survey mission, after all. I can't imagine a better way to do it.

And transporters were inoperable within Nibiru's strong magnetic field - hence them having to be directly above Spock to beam him back.

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Ah I have missed the strong magnetic field part the 3x i've seen the movie. Thank you.

4. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because it gives them the opportunity to have a gratuitous beauty shot. Someone says "I want this shot!" and then they make it fit into the story (badly)

They should've stayed in orbit and used shuttlecraft. Since when were starship engines waterproof? And I doubt it would stay waterproof for long, especially being a ship constructed for the low pressure atmosphere of space, and then being put in high pressure under water... The more I look at these films the stupider they get.

5. F. King Daniel

But it's happened before in Trek. We've seen ships fly underwater, through liquid layers of gas giants, through space amoebas, through black holes and wormholes, through fluidic space... it's already pretty firmly established.

Also, this Enterprise was built in Riverside, Iowa:techman:

6. Dart

Dart Commodore Commodore

The shot of the Enterprise rising from the ocean was for posters really, that and the shot in the trailers of a starship crashing was to lead the audience to believe the ship would be destroyed in a crash landing.

Not unlike the rumours of Spocks death in STII being put out and then he "dies" in the first few minutes on the simulator. So the filmmaker are carrying on Trek tradition of misleading the audience.

7. NCC-1701-B

okay then, but it still seems a stupid idea, I mean how did they get down there undetected in the first place? It seems so much easier to stay in orbit and take a shuttle down (like they've done in the past on pre-warp civilisations)

8. F. King Daniel

I agree it was done for the coolness factor first and foremost. It made as much sense as hiding the Holoship in Insurrection underwater - and that even had a cloaking device!

9. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

The size of the Enterprise can be debated till the cows come home. Its 735 m.

What's believable:

Transporters. check.

Warp Drive. check.

Deflector Shields. check.

Other species. check.

Unbelievable:

A starship underwater. chec-

. . . .

:wtf::eek:

. . . .

:rofl::guffaw:

Try again. :techman:

10. DaleC76

DaleC76 Captain Captain

I don't mind it being underwater. I just hate seeing it sail through the air.

11. NCC-1701-B

Yeah, the worst part is the way it flew through the air in the same way it would in space, it should have had massive amounts of thrust coming from the thrusters with big plumes of smoke and it should have gone up more vertically aiming itself up to space as it goes. I know we saw voyager fly through San Francisco bay in the same way, but that's a much smaller ship (apparently) and a few hundred years in the future.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The original Enterprise also flew through the atmosphere in Tomorrow is Yesterday. :techman:

13. shatastrophic

shatastrophic Commander Red Shirt

I love it when this topic comes up.

Its 300 years from now, the starship can sit at a poker table and deal cards...this fictional tale is set in the future. Who knows what will be possible tomorrow where impossibilities today are concerned. 300 years ago we shit in holes and thought skin color meant something. 500 years ago we thought the world was flat.

300 years from now we could put on gloves that allow us to pick up a cadillac. I remember when TNG came out, Trekkers and non-trekkers had a tough time with the no buttons thing. 26 years later, sometimes you can't find a button to save your life!

Oh yeah, they flew in at night. Scotty asked why have they been there since last night. He wasn't refering to the ship's internal cronometer I mean come on...this is the JJverse. Who knows, they went under at a distance, then had the ship swim up to shore to offer a better resource to the ground efforts. Cause of the emergency there was no time to swim out, ascend, then fly back and hope Spock isn't fryed.

The way I interpreted it was that they were there in orbit on a survey mission doing all the appropriate things which lead to them finding out about the volcano. From there they decide to put a plan in motion, and go over the scenarios. Because of the prime directive they do it quickly and quietly, which is why some of the crew including Scotty are wanting to know why they have been there since last night.

But one thing did get me and that was the size of the Enterprise. I really don't care how big she is due to the above mentioned reasons but it shows them swim up to the hatch and that hatch doesn't look any bigger than the hatches that the shuttle pods connect with in TMP, TWOK. When I saw that I remember thinking they may say she is 700 or whatever meters long but she is the same size as the original.

14. Mountie1988

Mountie1988 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The sketch of Enterprise and most of the proportions are wrong. Here's a better one...
    [​IMG]

15. F. King Daniel

Not unless it's a TARDIS.

16. F. King Daniel

17. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I actually didn't like the rockets under the saucer section. My thought is if they have figured out anti-gravity, what the need for thrusters in orbit?

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I would guess it would be for redundancy in case what ever powers the anti-grav generators failed. Since they looked like chemical thrusters, it does make you wonder why they weren't using them to slow their descent into the atmosphere? :eek:

19. shatastrophic

shatastrophic Commander Red Shirt

In space manuvering to match up with the Vengance, dropping out of the sky...The Enterprise almost has a thruster on every open outside plane. I thought it was neat and it does help to explain the command "full stop" as I don't see a set of impulse engines on the front of the saucer.

As far as them not using them to slow their decent well, thats because everything was offline until Kirk kicked back into place the bottom part of the Death Star core. Apparently power for all types of thrust is channeled thru the warp core on the NuEnterprise.

20. Mountie1988

Mountie1988 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Now this is awesome !