Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shaw, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

That is quite helpful because I was originally just going to have ladder access between the gallery, hangar deck and maintenance deck in that general area, but now I'll replace that with a lift system between those decks.

Those are by far the best images I've seen of the alcove areas on the hangar deck. Thanks! :techman:

2. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Those hanger bay elevators could possibly be similar to the one-man lifts in the refit engineering room.

3. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have nothing to base this on, but I would think those elevators would also go to the deck below.

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I'd say that's a logical assumption, since they appear to be behind doors. On the other hand, it's also possible that those elevators have nothing to do with the observation deck and only go down below.

5. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

They could do both.

Of course, at that position, there's not a lot of up and down they can do.

6. Tallguy

Well, that's not saying that's where the elevators are, it's just pointing the way.

7. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Well, there is enough room in those general areas for one or two person lifts moving between those three deck levels. So Putting something in isn't too much of an issue, it is just that deck plans don't often show the space limitations the way that cross-sections of the hull can.

Below is a sketch of those three decks. I have this printed out and have been studying the region to get a better idea of what would be there and how it might be organized. And at this point I don't have the lifts or ladders designated yet.

[​IMG]

8. Captain Robert April

I may actually start drooling at any moment...

9. Sarvek

Sarvek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Totally impressive. :techman: Great attention to detail and it really shows. :techman:

10. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

I'm apologize in advance if this is out-of-place in this thread, but I have to ask:

The HD-DVDs of TOS-Remastered released by CBS/Paramount include an "interactive Enterprise inspection", which includes and interesting flyby of the Hangar Deck, including a hitherto unseen Flight Control Tower-type structure overlooking the fantail.

Would there be an allowance for something like this in your plans?

11. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see how all the interior of that space can possibly fit inside that design feature -- or how someone would get in and out of said feature without using the transporter.

12. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Sorry...double post. Wouldn't let me delete. See below.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  13. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

I don't like the fact that they added that little control room there....I always imagined it as being some sort of beacon or tractor beam emitter. There are plenty of control rooms inside the hangar deck, and the sensor capabilities of the Enterprise would render such room useless...I bet it was done more out of boredom of those that created the Interactive Enterprise Inspection than out of necessity for successful hangar deck operations.

In addition, I agree with FalTorPan's remark.

For my Star Trek mod for MotS, I'm currently working on my own rendition of the shuttlebay, with a large cargo complex directly forward of it. It's hard enough filling the hangar's 4 overlooking control rooms with control panels already. I, for one, will not make use of the additional one depicted in the link above.

BTW, Shaw, I've been keeping up with your thread here for a while. Love what you are doing. Keep up the good work. Are you planning using the area directly forward of the shuttlebay as a cargo area? That's what I've been working on. Figure it makes a lot of sense, plus it's a tip of the hat to Andrew Probert for his genius work on the cargo complex in TMP. I've also as well incorporated a double observation deck between the shuttlebay and the room directly forward....seems as if great minds think alike.

14. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I've seen those screen captures and was disappointed. I couldn't help but feel that they were taking the point of view that scale doesn't matter. And I wouldn't be surprised if that point of view wasn't based on the fact that other shows of that era didn't worry about such things so Trek must not have either.

So no, I won't be adding a room up there. As it stands now, I'm sweating the hangar ceiling equipment and access to it (which will most likely be via a Jefferies tube from deck 14).

Thanks!

I'm not wed to the shape of those doors on the front wall of the hangar, so I may change them to look like what you have in your renders.

But yes, there are two open bays (with gallery overlooks) just forward of the hangar which are divided by two corridors (one on top of the other).

And the design is both to accommodate the TMP design and stuff I recalled from when the Carrier Constellation was being worked on.

Earlier in this thread I made a point of how every compartment would have a double hull between them... not in the cases of the bulkheads behind engineering. I envision that those walls are designed to be cut out to allow for the engine parts to be pulled straight out through the hangar bay.

On the Carrier Constellation they cut through the flight deck, hangar deck and a few additional decks to pull the engines out. The reason is that the strength of the ship came from the integrity of the outer hull and you wouldn't want to violate that. Same thing here, rather than cutting a giant hole in the outer hull, it would be better for the ship's integrity to have a number of bulkheads removed and pull the engine parts out through a natural opening in the hull.

I would guess that this was done a few times in the service life of the Enterprise, but the last time (when a totally different engine arrangement was being used) they didn't put anything back into the open void in the core of the secondary hull.

Granted, this completely avoids the issue of the secondary hulls being completely different shapes between TOS and TMP... but otherwise it presents a logical reason for how and why those areas opened up the way they did.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Very nice! :techman:

Unfortunately it doesn't leave me enough room for my Class H shuttlecraft design. :(

16. Tallguy

I'm looking at the two "free-standing" aft-most control cabs. I'm pretty sure that the aft walls of those would be cut by the hangar doors. I think I tried a similar arrangement in 3D many years ago. Also, they would be visible from the outside (and they're not).

Best of luck with this trickiest of areas.

17. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Good points, and very likely true. I hadn't noticed until now.

18. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Actually I have them set out as an "L" shape so that the shell doors stack up behind the aft half which makes them only visible from almost directly behind the ship (and otherwise hidden behind the shell doors).

The difficulty in the plans of deck 16a is that that detailing is obstructed by the outer hull of the ship curving in. I've included dotted lines to represent how I envision some of the hidden parts, but in the end I may have to provide a view without the outer hull so those details can be easily seen.

The mechanism for the doors themselves is something that I've also put a lot of thought into. The lead edges of each shell piece share the same track while the trailing edges pull inwards to follow a separate track. The importance of this is mainly when the doors are closed because it means that the air pressure inside helps maintain the seal (by pressing the trailing edge of each shell against the leading edge of the next one), and the doors wouldn't open easily unless the hangar deck has been de-pressurized significantly first (keeping someone from just opening the doors while people are working in there :eek: ).

I'll have to make a diagram to show you guys... right now this stuff is just a bunch of hand drawn sketches.

19. Captain Robert April

The "control room" probably owes some influence to Doug Drexler, from that Enterprise Officer's Manual he worked on back when he was just one of us enthusiastic fans and not quite pro yet. I suppose a site-to-site transporter for a room up there is an option, but I'm not sure it'd be worth it.

As for pulling engine parts out through the hangar doors, I like that in general. There's also those markings on the underside of the hull that look suspiciously like access hatches (especially that big yellow circle with the red outline that looks particularly dangerous....warp core ejection port, anyone?).

This has got me rethinking the arrangement I have for the warp plasma transfer conduits and their path to the nacelles. I suppose I could angle them upward somewhat, opening up more deck space. Still no rationale for a curved corridor in that area, though. ;)

20. dseabroo

dseabroo Cadet Newbie

Forgive me. I don't have the time to read through this entire forum in complete detail but I felt I had to post because David Shaw is a brilliant man! I have always hated Franz Joseph's design and believed that Matt Jefferies had a plan to the ship we never saw. Like you, I've been playing around since childhood to create a better design but I lack the skills you have.

I think your design is brilliant and I'm not saying I'm right, but here are some observations I've made during the years. If you like them feel free to incorporate them. If you hate them please try to be nice:

1. I have noticed that the main engineering set for the original series was usually only seen from one side. Now if you take the design and mirror it you will get a much larger engineering section that I always thought fit nicer. You will also now have two of those big conduits, one for each nacelle which leaves room in the center for you to add a verticle warp core.

2. On the engineering set on end of the room opposite to the big conduite thingie there are some stations and a doorway. The floor plan kind of comes to a "point". If you take the symetical engineering design from above, you will notice that this "point" kind of fits nicely into the secondary hull which starts to come to a point towards the area where the dish fit on.

3. Deck 12 on the engineering hull, just forward of neck, has a space that always seemed to me to fit the approximate shape of the auxiliary control room. Interesting, according your plans, this is the eighth deck COUNTING UP FROM THE BOTTOM!

Hopefully this make some sense. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.