Seat belts.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by wolf123450, Mar 28, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haha! Strapping down people and making them watch ST5? That's cruel and unusual. Do they do that at Gitmo?

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love Star Trek V. It's super colorful and the funniest of all of them.

3. R. Star

I'm coming over to your place so you can share whatever it is you're on. I wanna get that goofy! :lol:

4. teacake

It's sadly underrated. Or maybe not sadly since it's fan club is very select!

I've got it in my sig line, that quote cracks me up every time. And Talbot! :lol:

And Caithlin Dar, talk about hair styles! All that Paradise City stuff is gold. I could go on and on and on..

:: passes R. Star some brownies ::

5. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Haha yeah it's the best star trek movie after the motion picture

6. R. Star

Ooh! Brownies :D

I will confess with repeated watchings over the years, there's a certain morbid entertainment in the suckiness, kinda like Threshold. I did find the whole Paradise City part very realistic. Sure the situation was fubared to no end... so much so I could easily see the UN thinking something like that was a great idea!

General Korrd was my favorite part of the whole thing. He knew he was in the ass end of no where and had the appropriate response ready. Drink like a fish until you pass out. Repeat as needed. I liked the Klingons so much better before post TNG era made them stereotypes.

Still, it doesn't get out of the bottom of my favorite movie lists. Not every movie can be TMP with it's secondary viewing value. I hadn't watched it since the 90's and then watched it on tv one time and realized this stuff is gold! Spock announcing they've achieved full penetration as the enterprise flies into a suggestively shaped hole! All the sexual innuendos were lost on me as a kid! :p

7. teacake

I will have to don my sexual innuendo glasses next time I gird up for TMP. I have quite a lot of pairs, I can't imagine why I wasn't wearing them during my other viewings..

8. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Seatbelts were shown once in TO-MovieSeries, The Wrath of Khan, to be precise. Recall how the armrets folded over their legs during (?) the Kobayashi Maru simulation?

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

TFF and TMP are my two favorite Trek films. TMP is a cinematic masterpiece. Yes, the plot is clunky and slow, but the cinematography reached an epic artistic scope that non of the other films could emulate. ST09 was really the first one that came close.

TFF is just so ridiculously absurd, it's hard not to love it. I think a lot of fans cringe and stick their noses up at it because they perceive themselves "above" the humor. The problem is, they're so busy rolling their eyes at the slapstick, that they miss some of the exceptionally well-place wit of the dialog.

10. teacake

Yes it is very witty!

Also, Uhura fan dancing on a dune.

11. TrekDoggyDog

TrekDoggyDog Ensign

This always bothered me about star Trek. They'll put seat belts on Captain Picards dune buggy and the captains chair..(see nemesis deleted scenes) .. but the inertial dampeners will fail when a ferengi farts and no one bats an eye.

And why oh why is all that power conduit juice streaming through consoles? Ive never understood the need to have a console explode in ones face. It got old after the first few times it happend in TNG

12. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

They needed some protective shielding over those things. Or anti-burn masks at least lol.

13. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

For many years I've been wondering over the lack of safety belts, considering the fact that they all seem to be flying around the bridge every time they get into a fight or flying into some anomaly.

And why are bridge officers like Kim, Tuvok, Worf and Yar standing while the Captain and the helmsman are seating?

The funny thing is that I had this discussion with another fan in my hometown a couple of days before this thread showed up.

14. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

It seems tactical and other stations other than helm/captain's chair are standing positions. Not sure the reason.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was iffy about running away with Nichelle to Cabo when I was 3 and she was 22 because she seemed a little past it.

Growing up expecting this woman to be 7 times older than me, I wasn't unprepared for the fandance.

16. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    And here I was thinking I was alone in my affection for 5 :). It's funnier than IV (even if unintentionally), has a great bridge (we never saw again; wtf?) and they get to meet God. What's not to like?

17. teacake

Oh I've been a V apologist for years. Hilarious romp, really the only hilarious romp in Trek :lol:

18. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

"Captain... not in front of the Klingons." :guffaw:

19. R. Star

I always thought it was funny that Kirk has become so epic in the mind of Shatner the only possible antagonist could be God. And God dies.

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The only thing Final Frontier was missing would be for one of PseudoGod's many faces to be the Great Bird of the Galaxy.

Seatbelts - It just seems odd to me that they might still be using an ancient 20th century invention that far in the future. Some sort of force field explanation would have worked. But seatbelts would have meant fewer "fake danger with rocking camera" moments to keep audiences glued to the screen.