5x10 Vincent and the Doctor (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Count Zero, Jun 5, 2010.

?

What's your verdict?

1. Excellent

63.3%
  2. Good

28.5%
  3. Average

2.5%
  4. Meh

3.8%
  5. I'd rather cut off my ear

1.9%
  1. Hennessy Badger

Hennessy Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's so odd to read complaints of how "slow" or "boring" it was...as if you were shown nothing but paint drying for the entire episode!

I loved it personally. Easily my favorite episode of this series. I came in with really low expectations, but was blown away by the strength of it.

I need to make a mental note of who the director was for this episode, because it was filmed beautifully. Everything from outside the restaurant/bar to the Amy bathed in sunflowers was gorgeous. Don't even get me started on the starry night sequence. Amazing.

And of course, the Van Gogh museum scene was emotional as all hell. I'm totally downloading that song!

The only bad thing is that next weeks episode has a lot to live up to and The Lodger looks....different.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I see a lot of people ripping the monster design, but personally I think it's refreshing to see some of the wackier alien creatures that must be out there (and that we have plenty of on our own planet).

Not every alien monster is going to be some scary, badass looking thing.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd say on a meta level the beastie paralleled Van Gogh's inner demons which while very real only he could "see".

Within the story itself, given the scene with Starry Night, the dialog about how deeply Van Gogh experiences colors and his ability to see a sadness within Amy, I think it could be argued that Van Gogh saw the world differently that perhaps could explain how he saw the creature.

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd like to know the ratio between those who found it boring and only started watching the show when RTD brought it back and those who enjoyed it and were fans of classic Who beforehand.

Not having a go or anything, I'm just being curious.

5. DAK

DAK Admiral Admiral

I was actually wondering the same thing myself. This episode was probably the most reminiscent of classic Who since the show was brought back in '05.

6. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For myself, I mostly enjoyed this episode. I'm not old enough to have seen Dr Who since the beginning, but started to watch in the Tom Baker era. (I have older ones than that on dvd now however)

7. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Add that to the list of other untruths he's stated that were convenient to him. In the original run he's never had a problem getting to exactly where he wants to go when he wants to.

More unwilling than unable. The Doctor has always had his own agenda, and he's never been afraid to use other people to accomplish it.

Which is clearly bollocks. Any time he's wanted to go somewhere specific, he's made it exactly where he wants to go. Anytime someone else wants to get somewhere and he doesn't feel like it, "Oops the TARDIS is acting up". Total nonsense. The Doctor is a habitual liar, nevertheless he's the greatest hero in the history of the Universe.

8. Hennessy Badger

Hennessy Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I see we've decided to block out the Britney Spears fiasco of 2005. Probably for the best.

The crack hasn't wiped the incident from youtube though:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eIQ-Nbnd7I

^ It's 1 minute into the clip, if anyone's a glutton for punishment. ;)

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

There was a LOT to love about this episode, but for me the thing that stands out the most is just how odd and quirky and charming it all was. From the gorgeous Parisian setting, to the Doctor's goofy little contraption, to Vincent Van Gogh battling invisible monsters...

There was such a different tone and feel to this episode, and I found myself wishing the show could always be this way.

I will say though, I wish they delved a bit more into Van Gogh's depression. I understand they were trying to soften things a bit for kids, but it still felt a bit too simplistic. If you didn't know better, you would think it all just came down to Vincent feeling "unappreciated" or something. I wish there was a little more acknowledgement of some deeper psychological problems at work.

Still though, this was definitely one of the best episodes of the series. With one of the most magical endings I've seen in quite a while. Bringing Vincent into the future to see his work in the museum was absolutely inspired.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And The Sound Of Drums. However, they're diegetic examples so not quite the same as in this episode.

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

For whatever it's worth, I only started watching Doctor Who during the RTD years and was never bored once this entire episode. "Vincent and the Doctor" is one of the very few Doctor Who episodes I'd award 5 out of 5 stars -- right up there with "Father's Day," "The Girl in the Fireplace," "Human Nature"/"The Family of Blood," "Midnight," and "Turn Left."

12. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I disagree with pretty much everything you just said, I see it differently, but ok.

13. Mr. Adventure

Even though that scene was played for a joke I've always liked how that song actually works there. The music goes particularly well with the scene of the space station rotating.

It's funny watching that clip to notice how *un*manic Eccleston is compared to his successors.

14. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

We can agree to disagree.

It's just that by my reckoning, he's piloted the TARDIS successfully far too many times for any other explanation to make any sense.

Of course, I am not afraid to have unusual and/or unpopular ideas about the show. I'm the guy whose pet theory is that the Doctor has always been a "Special Forces/James Bond" type of agent fighting the Time War, for the entire duration of the series beginning in 1963. Yes, even though RTD didn't invent the concept until 2005. Every episode of the original series was a "mission", we simply weren't privy to that knowledge. Quite a bit of the original series makes much more sense to me when viewed in that light.

15. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's also the song Sunshine by Arrested Development (by the band, not the show) from the opening of Smith and Jones, too. I thought it was nice given that the band isn't as widespread as Britney Spears, the Scissor Sisters, or arguably Athlete.

16. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^That was my take on it.

I really enjoyed this episode; I thought the scene with Vincent in the museum was very, very touching. Hubby just kinda shrugged and said, "Well, not much going on in this one."

Maybe it's a gender thing. :shrug:

17. Sci

I'm male (as is, for that matter, Richard Curtis); I doubt it's a gender thing.

18. Mr. Adventure

^^ It is a character piece though more than a plot-driven one, I could see that not appealing (or working) for everyone as it relies on one getting invested in the characters.

19. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Also male, and after a bit of a slow start I loved it.

20. Sci

Exactly. This episode's appeal is more based on whether a given individual can enjoy a story that's character-oriented rather than plot-oriented, not on gender or original series fanhood.