Not a single review of M. Night's Devil

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Luminus, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's going on? I don't see a review anywhere. No one's even talking about it. I was considering going to see it, today, but after discovering this blackout of discussion, I've changed my mind.:lol:

2. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

Rotten Tomatoes has 4 reviews up http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/771203480/

3. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Those reviews weren't there, when I posted. Thanks.

4. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Just a quick note, in case anyone is unaware: While the trailers are trying to sell the film on his name, Shyamalan did not direct this film. He wrote the story & produced, Brian Nelson wrote the screenplay, and Drew Dowdle directed.

5. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, marketing people screwed up big time by trying to use M. Night as selling feature of this movie. He was already being perceived as a two hit wonder, so I wouldn't have bet on the Last Airbender working out and getting him back into the public's graces.

6. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

7. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Four review up and they all say it's crap. :lol:

8. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I love how people are really enjoying tearing down Shyamalan lately. Has he made questionable movies the last several years? Yes.

However, after The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs...a trinity of films that any director would be blessed to have made...the guy's got my viewing for anything he'll ever make.

They can't all be brilliant.

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not screened for critics, huh? Only movies that absolutely suck balls don't get screened.

10. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

...but he can try.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The movie wasn't screened for critics, meaning any critic wanting to write a review for it had to wait until it was released and watch it with the public. Any reviews that there will be should be hitting the press this weekend but it's doubtful that many will do it. The movie wasn't getting good press to begin with and when a movie isn't screened critics are less-likely to pay (their own money or money from the paper) to see a movie to write a review.

12. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the trailer looked pretty decent, but it's not a movie I would pay to see on the big screen.

13. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I am going to see it tonight at the drive-ins, along with The Last Exorcism. There's no way I could justify paying full price for either of these in the theater, but at half the price of a theater ticket for two movies, I think it will be a fun night.

14. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

"Two hit wonder"? What was the other one?

15. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

16. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Signs did pretty well too. And I've met enough people who liked The Village so that I wouldn't discount it either.

17. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I very much enjoyed the Village, but most people on this board seemed to think it was awful at the time. :(

Anyway, I did end up going to the drive-ins and seeing both movies and they were actually a great fit together, perfect double feature. Devil was about as good as I expected - nothing amazingly scary, but intriguing enough to hold my attention. It did seem like a very short film though, it was over before I knew it.

18. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the rottentomatoes rating would be higher had they not stuck M Night's name to the movie. It's a shame that his reputation is overshadowing the efforts of the actual writer and director.

19. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Still do.