DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Got Wonder Woman #1 yesterday, not a bad little book, beginning to a story, I guess. Nice artwork in it.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Comicsalliance usually give Marvel a pass with regards to some of the more sexist stuff.

The "Dark" corner with I Vampire, Demon Knights, Swamp Thing and Animal Man are suppose to be more connected in their own corner of the nuDCU.

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Something I heard today was kind of interesting: the events of Bendis' first issue of Alias are somewhat similar to the first issue of Winnick's Catwoman, but it manages to be about ten thousand times classier because it knows what it's doing.

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, you know... it's Judd Winick.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cute review remark at comicbookresources.com:

:lol:

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Of course - by sacrificing the art.

I can find better writing than in almost any superhero comic in just about any paperback novel selected blindfold from the shelves at Barnes & Noble. Why am I looking at comics, again?

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, which title was it?

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Wonder Woman.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I sort-of liked Wonder Woman, read Supergirl today and liked that one too. I may have to follow these titles too through their first arc.

11. Turtletrekker

Absolute nonsense. You don't need to sacrifice one for the other. John Byrne, George Perez, Jack Kirby, the list goes on of artists that can deliver the goods without wasting space on the page.

Personally, I've always felt that story was more important than art anyway. That's the reason why I abandoned Image Comics right after picking up most of their #1's back in the day. It was pretty art, but the "stories" read like toy catalogs.

At the rate, by the time the first JL story is done, there will probably only really be four issues of material in a six issue arc. Again, a problem shared by many comic companies these days (Bendis, despite my recently defending him in another thread, is really bad at this.).

12. Admiral Buzzkill

It's absolutely what this guy did. I'm looking at it; don't tell me such nonsense.

I don't. As I said, I can and do spend my valuable time reading much better books than anything the comic industry has ever produced.

13. Turtletrekker

The art was hardly a "sacrifice" if the story and pacing are improved, which they were by far.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting experiment...unfortunately the compressed issue doesn't alter or fix any of the problems that I had with the issue so it changes nothing for me.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

No and no, sorry. Evidently this kind of stunt impresses you, but it truly misses the point.

It's only the visual aspect of the medium that makes it worthwhile as a medium. Otherwise, you know - read a real book.

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

The experiment is interesting; that's for sure. However, whether it improves or weakens cannot really be judged properly considering the story written for JL #1 was done so in a specific way. What if, for example, Watchmen was reworked to where it had a ton of splash pages. Would that have made the story better, worse, or the same? Truth is one can never know, because that wasn't the style Moore and Gibbons did.

Also, if story is the thing that you appreciate more in a comic than the art (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that), reworking the story as done in the link won't fix any problems there might be with the narrative. Pretty much what I think Admiral Young was suggesting.

That being said, I understand where the guy is coming from. There has been a seemingly increased focus on splash pages and wider images in comics over the past ten years or so causing the story to be stretched out longer than it feels it needs to be.

ETA: I wonder how long that is going to remain on line before Warner Bros. makes them take it down.

17. Admiral_Young

Plus the guy at the bottom of the article also still encourages people to buy the issue still....as well as he was making a point about something that bugged him he was still supportive of DC to suggest buying the book, that was kind of classy.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Really. There's nothing I prefer in the reworked version. Knocking the scene with Vic Stone down to half its pages by chopping up the art and jamming word bubbles closer together fucks up the pacing and flow of the thing.

Stone is, for the most part, a new character to me; the fan cut-and-paste job reduces his introduction to a parenthesis surrounding "how Batman and GL fly to Metropolis." :lol:

If the guy's actually got a version of the entire issue up there I'd assume not long at all. Once it's out on the Internet, though, it'll always be somewhere.

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Something tells me DC won't care about him being classy. :p

20. Admiral_Young

^ LOL. Indeed so.