DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

as a movie to mock with a group of friends MST3k style, yes.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Sounds more like it's going to be a Bat-Family crossover. I just hope it's not too extensive. The Dark Knight, and Detective Comics kinda suck. I would hate to have to buy those to complete the story going on in the excellent Batman.

4. Admiral_Young

That's what I meant when I said the books will have their own self contained events. Kind of like "Contagion" and "No Man Land's" back in the day. It will be Bat-Family oriented.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty sure it's line wide.

Batman and Robin and Nightwing already have bits of story connecting with Batman proper.

6. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Snyder showed that he really understood the potential of the back-ups with his (albeit short) run of back-ups on Detective. While I understand the purpose of some of the other back-ups was to highlight "fan-favorite" characters who couldn't support a title of their own, Snyder's back-ups focused on Commissioner Gordon and were designed to tell a parallel story with his main feature in Detective. He had always intended the storyline in the back-up to continue through the main feature and even though the back-up got axed, he was still able to weave it through the stories he was telling with Dick Grayson. It read as more of a bonus story than a separate, shorter comic, as some of the other back-ups did (I'm not knocking them, I quite enjoyed some of them, but I did appreciate Snyder's approach).

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

According to DC's The Source, the crossover will just be within the Bat-books.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i haven't caught much of the DCnU... i tried Green Lantern again for several issues, but it's still a Geoff Johns fanwank book... gave up on that pretty quickly...

JLDark is kicking ass at the moment, as is Batgirl and Animal Man surprisingly...

not sure wtf is going on in Superboy, but it's kept my interest surprisingly again lol

Superman and Action Comics are just funny... weird seeing everything new and different, but i kinda like it :D

M

10. Admiral_Young

Well this is very interesting indeed. It looks like we are getting a Superman family crossover as well. If this is the New 52's 2012 "events" then I'm all for self-contained events rather than a large company wide crossover. Build up your new continuity first then if you really need to set up that first big event. I really hope this is the case.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/10/and-now-a-superman-supergirl-superboy-crossover/

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread regarding New 52 Superboy, yeah it does seem like they are going the route the "Young Justice" television series is going with his origin. I very much doubt that this Superboy will be named Kon-El or Connor Kent and be embraced by Clark. We still don't know what the investigation that Lois has been working on yet, just that she's been investigating Project NoWhere for a while it would seem. We also don't know I think how the project got a hold of Clark's DNA or who the human donor is...although most fans suspect it is Lex like in the comics. I think the opening arc of Superboy concludes with tomorrow's issue.

Also the article mentions that Action Comics will continue in the past longer than previous thought. I was under the impression that the entire first year of the book would be "year one" then we would advanced forward. Then it was just the opening arc of the book...but now it appears it will remain for a few more issues.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The pulls for tomorrow:

Batgirl #5
    Batman and Robin #5

12. Admiral_Young

I'll be getting:

-Batman and Robin #5
    -Batgirl #5 (the cliffhanger ending of 4 interests me to continue on with this)
    -Batwoman #5
    -Superboy#5

That's it from DC.

Gail Simone talks about Babs regaining her legs through the "miracle cure".

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/gail-simone-batgirl-cure-revelations-120111.html

So does this mean there is no connection to the folder that Bruce gave her in Batman The Return or whatever it was called. I don't understand why Simone just can't say that she went through some experimental Batman, Inc nanotech procedure funded by the Wayne Foundation. Unless that is what Simone does intend with the "South African clinics" reference.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  13. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's really sad that both Swierczynski on BoP and Higgins on Nightwing wrote Batgirl better than Simone on the character's own ongoing.

14. Admiral_Young

Yeah I get what she's doing with the book and reintroducing the character...but I expected more honestly based on her excellent work on BOP and Secret Six. The whole arc has felt off. Issue four was probably the best one IMO.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry, but I have a little slightly off topic thing here.
    I've just recently been discovered the character of John Constantine, who in the comics is a blond British guy, but I remember a few years ago a movie came out with the character played by Keanu Reeves. WTF was up with that?

16. Broccoli

^ Likely an attempt of overcompensating to "mainstream" the character and to have a star in the title role.

17. Admiral_Young

^ Yep.

Batgirl #5: We get another example of why this compressed five year time line is simply silly...as mentioned most likely prior in the thread it has been three years since the Killing Joke. LOL. So that means Babs in the New 52 has been Oracle for at least two of those three years...one can assume. If she was Oracle at all. She has a conversation with her mother that is to be expected. Also Simone introduces Occupy Gotham right when Bruce has launched some kind of restoration project. Someone tries to kill Bruce and repeats the number 338. I'm officially dropping this book. One of the most disappointing books of the New 52 for me.

Superboy #5: This is starting to lose me as the mystery behind everything is starting to be milked a bit. This is feeling more and more like a Wildstorm book than a DC book. I'm on the verge of dropping it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  18. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, I liked the Constantine movie ok. Keanu Reeves gets an unbelievable amount of shit for less than stellar reasons. Not that it was really a particularly good movie, or as good as Hellblazer. But no one blames Hugh Jackman for X-Men 3.

19. Broccoli

I like Keanu Reeves. Sure, he isn't the world's best actor, but he's a lot of fun to watch.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I have no problem with Keanu Reeves, he just seems like a weird choice for John Constantine is all.