Exact runtime verified.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Grant, Apr 24, 2013.

1. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Well, that's something to look forward to then! :lol:

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Intermission.

3. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Of course, I know ... I made it through Star Trek I through XI in one night before Generations came out, so I know the risk ... :lol:

4. Therin of Andor

"Sit long and prosper."

(And you meant VI.)

5. Oso Blanco

I really shouldn't be posting that late at night ... ;)

6. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

At the ST09 premiere in Kuwait they gave us free cans of Rockstars (one per person) which was a shock since any other time the only drinks allowed inside was bottled water.

I drank mine and a friend's Rockstars (he didn't want his) during the movie. Definitely had to get up and go, I think it was when Kirk was launched to Delta Vega.

Luckily, I went back that same night and watched it again (the stars were already gone by that showing) so I got to see it twice in the same day (free also) so I saw what I had missed pretty soon afterwards. :)

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Shoot, 2 hrs 11 min is nothing. Back in the olden days. we had big high profile films so long, they had an intermission.

8. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

On the 2001: A Space Odyssey Blu-ray, they actually preserve the intermission built into the original theatrical presentation. Very cool.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

My parents had a bunch of those on VHS. They were so long, they had to be put on two videos, the first often ending at the intermission, and the second picking up right there.

10. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

the only movie where there was an intermission was Gods and Generals.

11. Therin of Andor

Yes, I also recall the intermission in "2001" - and another school excursion, to see "David Copperfield", in the early 70s. When the "Intermission" curtain dropped, the teachers suddenly realised we'd be late for Sport, so we had to leave the cinema and head back to school. Crazy!

12. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

No.

Lawrence of Arabia
    Gone with the Wind
    Spartacus
    Ben-Hur

These are just the ones in my collection. I'm sure there are others. And many such films also had introductory music (sometimes approaching 8-10 mins. long) with no image or a static image. Unimaginable in today's frenetic world, but rather impressive in its day.

13. Scruggernaut

Scruggernaut Ensign Red Shirt

I'm pretty damn happy with this runtime.

14. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

ooh 5 seconds. :rolleyes:

15. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Is there a point to your post?

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

It reads to me like a response to your previous post concerning the difference in runtime. (I've emphasized the pertinent parts in the exchange for clarity.)

17. Grant

Yeah, I guess, but I started this thread with a very plain post with nothing but the exact run-time of the movie so as to inform anybody who was interested---which I hope it did.

Then the thread kind of turned to banter about holding in ones pee--which is also kind of to be expected, but when someone actually is interested in the subject (runtime) compared to the other longest movie I decided to look that up.

Well it turns out TMP happens to be 5 seconds longer--so to be informative--I post that--- finding it somewhat what that they clock in at so close a runtime.

Then he posts the oddly sarcastic "Ohh 5 seconds longer" with the roll eyes.

I kind of wonder what is the point--since he clearly he doesn't understand how or what the roll eyes means.

He's rolling his eyes because i found out the two movies are 5 seconds different?

I kind of thought it was a slightlyinteresting fact to know.

Two movies in the same franchise that couldn't possibly more unlike each other besides the characters in them, separated by 33 and a half years----and 5 seconds!

First thing I thought of when i read the new movie was 132 min was, "Does, that make it the longest trek movie?" I'm glad to know i wasn't alone in finding that interesting.

Although, i guess it was only worthy of an eye roll from him! :confused:

18. Oso Blanco

How did you know about the runtime to the second? I read about it clocking in at 132 minutes, but how did you know about how many seconds more or less?

By the way, German cinemas are giving a runtime of 129 minutes. I thought the PAL speed up only affects tv and dvd?

19. Grant

I posted a link on my opening post from the BBFC British Board of Film Classification.

They review every theatrical (and video) release of every movie released in the UK (down to the second)

That is also how I went back and found the exact running time of the theatrical version of TMP from 1979 (they've been doing this for a hundred years!) Not on the internet of course!

There are allowances for the video version because of the PAL system they use but theatrical versions are always the same.

There are some times as in Avengers where they throw in few seconds more for the US (schwarma scene) but generally it's exactly the same for current new releases.

As for the German release--I'd bet a few bucks it actually turns out to be the same 131- 58 as the UK version.

Also, since in recent years the UK gets some movies before the US---I can find out weeks in advance what the running time is going to be. We don't have an internet site for the USA that does that in any case. The get reviewed in final form and get a rating from the MPAA but they don't post the running time for the public.

20. Oso Blanco

I see, maybe I should have checked your link first ... :)

Since this is the runtime from the UK, NTSC is not an issue anyway. Gotta keep an eye on the FSK site, which is the German equivalent to the BBFC. They still don't have STID listed there ...