"Polaris"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jan 7, 2009.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, that's clever enough. And it does add to the retro appeal.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Admiral Buzzkill

We now also, gods willing, have a gallery featuring some of the concept and design work for the ship - there are a few images there now and will be more in the coming days. It's here.

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

It appears the gods are not willing.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, you get my point. :lol:

Try it again. I fiddled with the php code a bit.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  6. RJDiogenes

The thing that appeals about this overall design is that it evokes not only the classic "rocketship," but also Forbidden Planet and Star Trek, without being derivative. Nicely managed. :bolian:

7. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Vektor's sketch looks really nice.
    Is this how the Polaris will now look like or is it another ship?

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Vektor and aridas sofia are refining the design of Polaris. This is a sketch that Vektor did as part of that; we haven't yet settled on the final configuration of the ship.

Other vessels that will appear in the film are very different from Polaris herself.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Who recognizes this object:

[​IMG]

10. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it some kind of handheld, electronic game? It looks familiar...

11. RJDiogenes

It's a Borg belly button ring.

12. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

It's some sort of inhaler, isn't it? I seem to recall seeing it in a drug ad, only it was purple there.

13. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Yep. My pa has one of em, so it was instant recognition for me.

Dennis, you're gonna be outta luck if everyone's houses are full of inhalers, pepper grinders and barcode scanners :P

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Which is why I just conducted this little impromptu survey - I liked the look of this thing, but had no idea how common the devices might currently be (I used one about five years ago).

Drat.

15. Venardhi

Throw a few alterations on it and it should pass mostly unrecognized. If you asked everyone on this board if they could recognize what Luke's lightsaber or any number of other 'found' props were made from, you'd probably find people who knew what they were too. Star Wars has tons of recognizable found items in there from women's razors to flash guns to pen caps, etc. etc.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

This is true. I guess I'm thinking, rightly or wrongly, that the design dilemma for fan films is different from that for a big Hollywood movie in that a big percentage of our audience may be afficianadoes and other low-budget filmmakers and hobbyists - many of whom become aware of us while we're creating our movies - who pay attention to and hopefully admire the details of props and costumes etc. A lot of them are the same folks or same kind of folks who know that the Jedi communicator in "The Phantom Menace" is a Lady Schick razor but they only represent a tiny fraction of one percent of the people who go to see "Star Wars."

Not many folks beyond the regulars on the Replica Props Forum will recognize a peppermill in "Star Trek."

Or maybe that's not so. I'll give it some more thought.

The image above, BTW, is the inhaler as it was altered for use as a "laser" prop in "Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda." I wanted to use a picture of it with different colors and missing the labeling that might make it more easily recognized.

17. Venardhi

When it comes to props, generally if you paint something, throw in a few leds, and 'weather' it a bit no one will question it unless they're specifically looking to recreate it or otherwise learn more about it. Some very distinctive things like the Schick razor in Phantom Menace were borderline obvious as an item just about everyone has seen regularly, even daily for some, in their normal lives and yet 99% of the audience never would have noticed it unless someone pointed it out.

18. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Sometimes, when it comes to base objects, simpler can be better. If the original item has fewer really unique features, it can be easier to disguise. I think part of the problem with the inhaler is that it's just so darn specific looking.

Compare that with, say, Wah Chang's use of a pencil case for the TOS comms: add a flipgrid and buttons, and it's unrecognizable.

I don't know what this gizmo is going to be, but I'm assuming you need small, hand sized and round, with some kind of ribbing or fillagree? Might I suggest this:

[​IMG]

19. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I grieve with thee, Dennis. How about rapid prototypers? Does anyone on your staff have access to one of these? If so, tap your talented artist friends to design props in 3D and then just print them out and paint them.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

So what is that?