Another "Wonder Woman" show now in early development

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If they did it the same way as the bionic shows, then it would've entailed having the stunt performer jump backward off a roof and onto a mat or airbag below, then running the film in reverse so it looked like they were jumping up to the roof.

2. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

They'd also use an air ram to propel people in the air as well.

3. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

My feeling is jumping off backwards off a roof is safer as you start from the roof. If you start from the ground, you might miss the roof, that wouldn't be good, also you might go too high and go thud on the roof or you might go too low and hit a wall or a window, sort of like the Greatest American Hero.

4. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed - starting with the fact that the Amazons WERE NOT Greek. In mythology the Greeks hated the Amazons and vice versa - there are everywhere and always portrayed as deadly adversaries (thus why the great hero of the Greeks, Heracles, kills Hippolyta). In reality, recent archeological evidence points to the myths of the Amazons originating in the horse culture of the Sarmatians - a nomadic group with powerful female warriors and leaders who lived on the Russian steppes and occasionally invaded into Greek territory.

As long as the story is interesting and enjoyable, I say, create and recreate freely. Here's hoping they can manage something worht watching.

5. Christopher

Err, yes, as I already covered in post #164. Thanks for the added info, though.

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Yeah, Azzarello hasn't played with the source material any more loosely than Marston did with the Classical sources. I don't care for what Azzarello's done with the character, but it's not like the next writer can't do something else.

7. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Also the real Amazons, if they existed were not superheroes, the ones that Wonder Woman came from are a myth and a Greek myth at that, we are not talking of course about any historical Amazons if they existed, the Mythical Amazons are as Greek as the cyclopes and the Greek gods, they come from a Greek legend regardless of whatever original historical origins they have.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Could you point out where someone said the real or mythical Amazons were superheroes and where they weren't part of Greek mythology?

9. Christopher

Of course nobody is saying that the myth of the Amazons isn't Greek in origin. The point is that a lot of people assume that since the fictional character of Wonder Woman is an Amazon, that means she's Greek -- which is misunderstanding the nature of the myth, in which the Amazons were portrayed by the Greeks as barbarians, outsiders and enemies, rather than as part of their own society.

10. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    However, DC has always portrayed them with a Greco/Roman image. There really hasn't been any serious attempt to portray them otherwise.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The cities of ancient Greece thought of themselves as countries and the greater Greece was just something that came into play when the dirty foreigners started kicking over dominoes... The limits of Greece were more accurately the language barrier than any geographical constraints.

What language do the Amazons speak when they're by themselves?

12. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Hence the confusion. :)

13. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

A breakdown of the character has been released revealing some new details, one of the most interesting of which I have bolded:

Deadline

I haven't read any of her comics, so how true to the character is this (other than the name, obviously)?

14. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

About as close to the literature as Halle Berry's Catwoman movie was. Possibly less so!

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh boy! (Sam Beckett)

17. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Is the CW afraid of Wonder Woman?! :p

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

That sounds like Ziva during her first few seasons of NCIS.

Although seriously, where in the world do you have to live to have never had ice cream?

The Italians invented it in the 17th century.

Frakk,

They're calling her Iris because she's seeing the world through a fresh set of eyes.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Crocodile Dundee?

20. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I am going to send the same email to the CW every day. This is not what we want to see!
    Simply pathetic that we keep getting reports about these horrible attempts to bring bastardized versions of classic superfolk to the small screen. It shouldnt be that hard to do......sigh.....ok I feel better now.