How I Met Your Mother 1/3

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Mr Light, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

New episode!

I thought it was an excellent episode full of laughs. Barney's Doppelganger. Marshall's bathroom attempts. Robin's embarrassing past moments.

Oh, and the return of Wesley! I don't think we've seen him since the first season!!!

And then they went n' ruined it with that ending. What an incredible downer. Kind of out of place in a silly sitcom like this, particularly after such a hilarious episode. I'm not really looking forward to a grieving Marshall for the next few episodes.

So, I noticed a couple background jokes on this episode which makes me wonder if they've been doing this more.

At Doctor Barney's examination room, there's a picture of a pregnant woman on the wall right behind the characters. It's clearly Robin! Maybe it was taken when she was pregnant ?last? year.

Whenever Robin comes into Ted's apartment he's reading a book about bridges. The first one I noticed said 25 top bridges of America. The next one was 13 top bridges or something like that. The books were counting down!

Oh, and I just realized another reason it was awesome. It didn't have that annoying new characters, the prentious protester married to Mua'Dib. I can't stand her!

2. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

Good episode. That ending just came out of left field though.

3. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can someone tell me what happened at the end? My brother just had to start talking about something unimportant during that scene and I didn't catch it.

4. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Lilly let Marshall know that his father had just had a heart attack and had passed away.

5. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

As seemingly out of place as the ending of the episode might have been, I thought it was excellent. Well written and well-played. I don't know if I like the ramifications we may see -- next new episode being "a very special HIMYM" -- but still it is an important event that we really haven't seen tackled in these early 30-somethings' lives, which let's be honest, is a reality.

7. Stegoman05

Stegoman05 Lieutenant Red Shirt

What a great episode even with the sad ending. Almost made me tear up a little. Anyways did anyone notice that there was a count down of numbers starting with 49 in the first scene.

8. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Wow, that countdown is really creepy and ominous in retrospect :wtf: Still, wonderful attention to detail!

10. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. She's terrible. BTW, did anyone else have trouble realizing she used to be on "House"?

11. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suspect you're not going to dig the resolution to the series. I'm betting she's "the Mother."

12. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I haven't followed HIMYM since Season 2, through no fault whatsoever of the show (it's hilarious), but I am curious, who are speaking about that used to be on House but is now on HIMYM?

13. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Jennifer Morrison. And I really don't think she's the "mother".

14. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

I highly doubt it. In the season premiere when they were doing flash forwards to the wedding where Ted is the Best Man (Punchy's?), Future Ted says he meets the mother "At a wedding". The implication being he didn't know her until the wedding... my fingers are crossed for us meeting her in the season finale at Punchy's wedding. Also, we know the mother was living with Cindy (Rachel Bilson) as recently as last year, where we know Zoey and The Captain have been together for a lot longer than a few months.

That said, I acknowledge they could play with language and twist it somehow so it IS Zoey... but again, I really doubt it.

As far as last nights episode, that actually caught me off guard! My wife and I caught the countdown almost immediately in the teaser, but we were both certain it was a countdown to them finding out they were pregnant. Having it be... what it was... came out of total left field for us, and I actually got choked up a little bit when Marshall said "I'm not ready for this yet".

15. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Zoe, Ted's enemy/potential love interest (except for the fact that she's married to Mr. Creepy).

Based on this thread and a comment on Facebook by a friend, I knew something was going to happen, without knowing exactly once (though as soon as Marshall started dialing his dad, I figured his days were numbered). I think, in a strange way, it made me enjoy the episode more.

FWIW, this was my favorite use of the numbers.

16. the G-man

Speaking of the series finale, I read an interview with Jason Segal once where he said he's tried to convince the producers that the end of the show should feature a reveal that Ted is telling this story to his kids because their mother recently died.

17. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

I don't remember that quote from Segal, but I have to say that would be an interesting, and not unwelcome twist. Problem being, of course, they filmed all the footage they will ever use of the kids during the first season, to prevent noticeable aging (Lyndsey Fonseca, in particular, has grown up nicely... :drool:. I direct the disbelieving to Kick-Ass and/or Hot Tub Time Machine).

18. Roger Wilco

I don't know, the kids are pretty damn good-humoured for that.

19. the G-man

Really? They always look sort of bored and miserable to me.

20. Roger Wilco

Yeah, but in a "come on dad I want to go play on my x-box" and not "my mother just died" kind of way.